Hotwire Hotel: 2.5* San Francisco (Fishermans Wharf) Holiday Inn Express

Tizzy
By Tizzy,
in

Greetings,

Just found this forum after "Googling" 4 star hotels in Union Square East. What a great service!

We're heading to San Fran and surrounding area in late June. Want to spend probably 3 days in the city. I was looking on Hotwire for June 26-June 29 and found a 4-star in Union Square West for $99. Amenities are swimming pool, fitness center, business center, restaurant, high-speed internet. Any idea which one this might be?

Also, we're a family of 5 - two adults, 3 children (7,9,12). Seems like one extra is one too many as I can't find many hotels that have access for five. Any suggestions?

Some more questions: :)

Does anyone suggest a particular area of the city that would be a better place to stay? We're not really interested in the tourist trap of Fisherman's Wharf, but I'm not too familiar with other locations. Would Union Square East or West be good choices? What are parking costs? Need the car for June 26 and 27 but not the 28th and 29th (but then need it again after the 29th since we're heading down the coast).

Would it be better to go with Hotwire or try to name a price on Priceline?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Welcome to BetterBidding... we're glad you found us! :)

The USW property is a match for the Hilton San Francisco and Towers so that would be our best guess for that one.

At the 4* level most users find the USE or USW zones best, but if you go lower in star level some of the areas of USW get closer to the ternderloin which some don't like (some don't mind, but something you may want to keep in mind traveling with kids)

If you intend on only getting one room then i would stick with HOTWIRE since you can select up to quad occupancy (and only be one over the limit)... if 2 rooms is in your budget then i would consider PRICELINE (but still may even use HOTWIRE to ensure enough sleeping accomodations for all 5 of you). If you're only considering one room, how have you handled similar hotel situations in the past? How would you handle if you received a room which only accomodated 4 of you? (could your youngest sleep in the floor on an extra sheet or 'beyond' the age where that might be 'cool')

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks so much for the reply. Will probably stick with HOTWIRE. May just get a twin blow-up mattress at Wal-Mart just for the trip. I guess I don't mention it to hotels, though, huh?

In the past we usually stay at condos through VRBO because we're at a place for a week. This trip is different as we'll be traveling around, so the hotel works best for us.

...Still looking...now wondering if I should consider Fisherman's Wharf. Anyone else have any comments on this area? Traveling with kids... don't like really tourist areas, but maybe should overlook this for price and location. We will be exploring lots of neighborhoods/areas. Now looking at June 26-June30. $80 Hotwire rate for 3.5 star on F.W. Amenities: Fitness center, High-speed Internet, Business Center, Pool, Restaurant. What hotel might this be?

Thanks again!

Regarding the Fisherman's Wharf 3.5* hotel...I only see that $80 rate when checking on 2 adults/0 children, which guarantees one bed. When I check 2 adults/2 children (which guarantees 2 beds) the rate jumps to $159!

BUT for 2 adults/2 children HOTWIRE has a 2.5* in Fisherman's Wharf for $98 that looks like the Holiday Inn Express.

Breakfast, Fitness, Business Center, Highspeed Internet

Despite its 2.5* rating the HIE is one of the very best reviewed hotels in FW area (4/5 on TripAdvisor), and it comes with free breakfast. With five in your family staying four nights that's 20 breakfasts you won't have to pay for.

With a family of five and three children under 12 I'd lean towards Holiday Inn Express over Union Square. FW isn't far from Union Square and the transportation links are good. There are plenty of tourists and tourist traps in Union Square too.

If you purchase please use this HOTWIRE link and let us know what you get.

Thanks for the tip!!

I did just book a four-night stay on Hotwire (through this site) at the Holiday Inn Express for June 27-July 1.

I checked it last night and price was $114. Checked it again this evening to book and price was $77! Wow - don't see how it could go lower than that but maybe it will. At any rate, we are very excited.

I appreciate the advise on where to stay with kids. It think this will be a great choice. The breakfast won me over (we'll make sure we fill them up before we head out each day) as well as the fact the hotel is newer than others, also positive reviews on Trip Advisor.

Now will research parking options.

...and other hotels down Highway 1 (Monterey, etc) because we'll be driving down there for a couple of days.

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you received the hotel you were hoping for and are happy with the results... seems like this should suit your needs quite well!

Thank you for sharing your results with the board and using our HOTWIRE link to begin your purchase.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings,

I am planning a stay in San Jose area Friday, June 26. Trying to identify a hotel for $89 in "downtown San Jose area."

Amenities are restaurant, fitness, high-speed internet, business center.

Any idea what this might be? St. Clair Hotel? If this is correct, is it kid-friendly?

Thx,

Tizzy

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]