What's the most ridiculous suggested price?

WillTravel
By WillTravel,
in

Priceline often tells the user she should increase her bid before the bid is submitted. You may be told you have only a small chance of success. You may be told that the suggested retail price of whatever hotel room you are trying to bid is X$. You can often ignore these messages and succeed fine anyway. For example, you might succeed with a $40 bid on a hotel room when Priceline told you the retail price was $140. Another thing that's interesting - on the first bid, you might be told the retail price is say, $120, and then when you go to do a rebid, you might be told it's $85 or you might be told it's $135.

It would be interesting to see a list of the greatest price discrepancies between Priceline's suggestions and what bid actually worked. Unfortunately, I haven't kept records, although I've seen some almost humorous examples. (Well, just recently, for example, Priceline told me the suggested retail price was $158 on one bid attempt, and then told me on the next bid attempt that the suggested retail price was $92, and then when I failed I was told the suggested retail price was $154. Of course, I didn't let those numbers affect my bid.)

Also, what are all the variations Priceline uses to suggest you raise your bid (e.g. only a small chance, almost no chance, etc.)?

• 2 months later...

The worse I've ever had was a suggested price of $198 for Birmingham, England and then I got my hotel at that star rating for $58 before fees, taxes. The hotel itself had an internet rate near the same rate so my savings were pretty much zilch on that stay, but went with Priceline to see what they hotels they used in the area.

On the changing suggested price, I believe it changes based upon the zones that are added to your bid. Don't know if that's an average of the zones or just the lowest of the zones. I'll have to check it out sometime.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]