Help with YYC

travelbee
By travelbee,
in

At what point did you get the "unavailable" message... before you submitted your bid or after?

If before, what exactly did you enter as a search city/airport?

If after, did the message say "unavailable" or "... we were unable to accept your bid"? Do you remember (or is there a way to see) exactly what the messaged stated?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The message I got after the bid was submitted was "We were unable to locate an available car through our Name Your Own Price service for the car type you selected. We did find the following great deals available from our rental partners." I just thought it was strange because it was not "unable to accept your bid" that we usually see. I bid $30/day for full size with no success.

Being a Calgary resident, I can't think of any reason why a car rental at YYC would be that high. Your dates are not during the Stampede, and unless there is something big going on during those dates, there never has been for as long as I have lived here.

I do have a thought though, why don't you take a cab to any of the car rental places to downtown Calgary. I just checked Budget Rent-a-car, and for those days, you can get a full sized car for $205 Cdn (about $190 US). The cab ride to downtown will be about $30-35 Cdn.

Proud to be Canadian!

Thanks for your suggestion blkjck1. I'll try that if I have no luck with PL. The hotel I am staying offers complimentary airportl shuttle so I may try to find a rental car company near there. I just don't understand why the rates are so much higher at the airport - as you said the stampede would be over by then!

If you are planning on going to Canmore, you will want to have a car for other things, especially if you wanted to go into Banff. My suggestion about getting a cab to the downtown locations still works, but a car rental company you may not have come across has a near-airport location. Try Discount Car Rental. It is a Canadian chain. I checked the rates, and they are pretty reasonable (about $45 CAD a day), and they will shuttle you to and from the airport. If you use the downtown option, you would not be too far off the beaten path to Canmore. It all depends on the time of day you arrive and get on the road. Calgary's rush hour traffic can get pretty bad sometimes.

Acclaim Hotel just literally opened up, and there is not much around the area for things to do or restaurants.

Proud to be Canadian!

Thank you so much on the tip about Discount Car Rental! I raised my bid on PL to $34/day for a full size and still have no success. Then I tried your suggestion and got a full size car at Discount Car Rental for a total of $235 CAD - which would be equivalent to what PL would cost at $34/day. Now we're all set!! Thanks!!

I would keep trying PRICELINE or HOTWIRE, and using your Discount Car Rental rate as a ceiling. I only say that because it would be more convenient to get your car at the YYC terminal instead of waiting for your shuttle. Compared to most US airports, YYC is not that big, and walking to the car rental area is pretty easy.

Proud to be Canadian!

• 4 weeks later...
I would keep trying PRICELINE or HOTWIRE, and using your Discount Car Rental rate as a ceiling. I only say that because it would be more convenient to get your car at the YYC terminal instead of waiting for your shuttle. Compared to most US airports, YYC is not that big, and walking to the car rental area is pretty easy.

The Discount Car location is located on McKnight Blvd. around Barlow Trail. That is about a 5-10 minute shuttle ride from the airport, but will probably take longer as I would think they would not come to pick you up until you call them when you're ready. The best option is to still try and find someone who has a location at YYC.

Proud to be Canadian!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]