Priceline.com offers trip insurance at bid screen

WillTravel
By WillTravel,
in

Maybe everyone has seen this before, but I haven't.

I am engaged in another round of what I likely know to be a futile effort to bid in Scandinavia (futile mainly because I'm severely limiting the amount I'll spend). I am in the midst of putting in a $50 bid for Copenhagen for July 1 on Priceline.com. I noticed that on one of the initial screens I was given the option of learning more about trip cancellation/interruption insurance. I checked that box. A screen or two later, I got information about the policy. Here's the first bit:

Travel Insurance

Get 24-hour protection for your trip!

Priceline.com has made a special arrangement with American Home Assurance Company (AHAC) to provide low cost travel insurance.

For only $5.00 per room per night, this Travel Insurance plan provides:

Travel Arrangement Protection

Trip Cancellation /Trip Interruption: Priceline reservations cannot be cancelled, changed or refunded. However with Travel Insurance provided by American Home Assurance Company, if you or your traveling companion have to cancel or interrupt your trip for a covered reason (e.g., unforeseen illness, injury or death), the cost of your reservation will be reimbursed. . . .

Priceline.com also says that buying or not buying the insurance has no impact on the bid. I would consider buying this insurance if I were a US resident. One problem with Priceline is its non-refundable nature (with rare exceptions). I would see this as cancellation protection for a cost of $5/night, although of course it won't deal with situations like not being able to go due to your employment or whatever. I'd definitely want it for airfare.

The screen is a little tricky also. It invites you to initial and I could see someone quickly doing that just as they do on the bid screen.

Does this insurance option appear every time and I've just never noticed it before, or is it just for bids for European hotels?

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]