DC Wyndham Washington White House Downtown

nilkaya
By nilkaya,
in

We stayed for two nights. The first night we were assigned a 9th floor room facing the atrium. It was a friday night and the noise of people leaving the bar, as well as, some guests partying in the balconies facing the atrium kept my husband awake. We tried to heat the room, but the button was broken. Next day, I requested to check into a room that does not face the atrium. I was told I have to wait till 12:30. When I complained about the heater I was told that the system had not been switched to heating yet.

I was assigned another room that faces the atrium, but on 10th floor. Finally, the third time we got a room that faced the M street. We were promised a heater. The heater looked more like a clothes press than a heater, but with extra blankets it was warm enough for us. The downside of the room was we could hear the TV and the guest speaking on the phone clearly.

The parking is valet parking for $26 for overnight. The staff was very helpful, and there was no mention of priceline.

I will not be bidding for 3 stars in the Whitehouse-Downtown area fearing I might get Wyndham again.

• 3 months later...

Please note that this is a review for Wyndham DC, not Wyndham City Center.

I booked this hotel through Hotwire for three nights @ $64 per night. Upon arrival, we promptly got a room on the 11th floor (out of 12) with a view of the atrium, which is actually better than most of the ones facing the outside.

Overall, this was a rather pleasant experience. The hotel is kept in great shape, with furniture, wallpaper, and carpets all appearing to be brand new. The decor was as good as seen on the official pictures. The bathroom was particularly tasteful and spotlessly clean. The mini-bar was a nice touch, but pricey, as expected.

On the downside, they didn't honor my ByRequest membership, also as expected, so I had to pay $10 per day for Internet, which they offer in both wired and wireless varieties. Parking was also steep at $26 per day plus tax.

The only other complaint was that the in-room fridge was locked with no key to be found and my requests to get me one weren't honored either. Other than that, service was prompt and polite and even valet attendants were rather quick and helpful.

All in all, I'd rate this hotel 4 out of 5 and would recommend it for most people who can overlook a few minor annoyances.

• 5 months later...

I had a good one-night PL stay here recently.

Again, this is the Wyndham at 14th and "M" streets. Two Metro stations are within walking distance: McPherson Square at 14th and "I" and Farragut North at 17th and "K". (Remember there's no "J" street in DC so the stations are a bit closer than they might seem.) The McPherson Square station is served by the Blue and Orange lines and interfaces with both the DCA and IAD airports, requiring a transfer to another Metro line or to a bus however you do it.

I got to the hotel around 12.30pm and a king-size bed was available. No mention of PL. I got a lower-floor room facing the atrium and near the elevator, but noise was never a problem. The room was a solid 3* and included a mini-fridge (not a minibar) and the bed had plenty of pillows. There is an exercise room, which I didn't investigate, but no pool or spa type facility.

I asked for a checkout time of 1.30pm and got it; it seemed I could have even chosen something a bit later.

There are plenty of restaurants/fast food joints open on the weekend in the vicinity, especially down towards "K" street. A CVS drugstore is nearby on 14th and is open 24/7. The White House is maybe a 10 minute walk down Vermont Avenue, and to the north you have the Dupont Circle and Logan Circle neighborhoods. East of about 10th street things start to feel sketchy.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]