TKTS - How does this work?

Gopherchik
By Gopherchik,
in

I haven't been to the TKTS booth in quite some time, but i still believe that BMG sells out every show, so i'm doubtful you'll find tickets there (TKTS is used as an outlet for shows to sell-out otherwise unsold tickets).

However, BMG is a great show and IMO most definately worth the money... i've seen it 3 times (and once was the jello guy at the end... but i won't say anymore).

Unless you find out otherwise that Blue Man Group is no longer selling out every show, i would recommend buying tickets ahead of time. The theater is very small... ideally you want to be on the main level, but not in the first 3 rows. I think you can buy tickets thru Ticketmaster or to save ticketmasers service fee you can call the box office direct... but i don't know if the box office will tell you the exact seat assignment.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I have actually heard similar comments about the Vegas show.

The shows have a lot of similarities but are also a little different (from what i hear)... i think part of the NYC appeal is the 'intimiate-ness' of the show, and i can see how that could be easily lost in a Las Vegas mega-theater.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You can see the hours at the TKTS WEBSITE.

There is always a line but it does move pretty quick.

Those that are more active in the theater scene than i am can comment better, but i would try to get there 30-45 minutes before they open to have the best chance at good seats and/or the show i wanted. The downtown location is less known than the Times Square location and the line there is usually less/quicker... yet both pull tickets from the same database.

• 3 weeks later...

This is from another thread on the board but copied here as well since it's on-topic and appropriate:

TKTS: to avoid the Time Square lines at TKTS you could visit the downtown location booth which doesn't get nearly as crowded. This location sells matinee tickets one day in advance and evening performances the day of:

The TKTS ticket booth at the corner of John and Front Streets is open Monday through Saturday, 11 a.m. - 6 p.m., and Sunday, 11 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.  Tickets for evening performances must be purchased the day of the show.  Tickets for Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday matinee performances must be purchased one day in advance.

TKTS Summary (<--link)

(note: the above link states that the downtown location is closed on Sunday, but the quote above from another site states that they're open, so try to confirm times beforehand)

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If there is nothing that drives me more nuts at TKTS are people who don't know what they want to see when they get to the ticket window, or ask if a show like "Wicked" is on sale for half off. Do yourself a favour and look at the board to see what's on sale before you stand in line! Pick 3-5 shows that you would like to see, and rank them in order so that if it does get sold out, then go to the second option.

Get used to the fact that hot shows like "Wicked" or "Spamalot" are not going to be at TKTS for a few more years to come as well. If a star like Denzel Washington or Julia Roberts is going to be in a play, you'll never see it unless you bought way in advance too.

Proud to be Canadian!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]