SNA Orange County Midsize Avis

new_hotwire_user
By new_hotwire_user,
in

I will be booking a car on HOTWIRE in California. It isn't big spring break or vacation time and I was wondering.

Do prices go DOWN as you get closer to the date you are going to book or can they just as easily go up?

Not sure if there are tricks to booking and when the 'optimal' point is away from your planned trip to book...any tips?

Thanks in advance for the help and sorry if this question has been asked over and over and over again...

Welcome to BetterBidding, new_hotwire_user.

There's no best time to bid for a rental car. Prices can go up or down at any time.

If you want more assistance please start a thread in the board's Rental Car section, including the city, travel dates, car class, and the best rate you've found so far.

To close out this discussion...

I monitored rental cars in Orange County California at John Wayne Airport on Hotwire for about a week and a half. Prices seemed to fluctuate about a $1 per day up and down with no real recognizable trend in when they went up or down.

I needed a car for 7 days.

I ended up getting a mid-size car for $25.95 per day total. The lowest I had seen (and missed BTW) was $24.95 for that same mid-size car.

Some of the full-size pricing fluctated about $2-4 per day depending on when I looked.

I just went out there to see what the pricing is today (3 days to rental) and the mid-size is still $25.95 per day. But a standard SUV has dropped about $7-8 per day...not that I needed or wanted a gas hog...

So my not so technical experiment in my small little world yielded that pricing seemed to be somewhat flat for the car I was looking at. The reason I started this thread was because I didn't know if in an 'off-peak' vacation time if prices would drop right at the end with surpluses of cars available...they still might and I'll continue to check this week just out of curiosity...but the next time I rent may have some professional sports team playing in the area and no cars available...

I'm happy with an ~$52% savings from Avis that I recieved thru Hotwire...anything more would be gambling and greed IMO and I'm simply too conservative to risk things I guess.

Hope this can help someone else in the future.

Thanks again.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]