Priceline Hotel: no luck with bids...10/1 to 10/4

ollietu1
By ollietu1,
in

Hi...what a great site....so helpful for travellers from the other side of the world (Australia).

We're coming to New York on October 1 for 3 days and I'd like some advice on when is the best time to start bidding for a 3 or 4 star hotel.

Is October busy?

How much should I expect to bid in the Central Park South or Midtown East or West sectors?

I really appreciate any advice.

Many thanks,

Ollietu1.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Here is a thread which answers your question: SHOULD I BID EARLY or LATE TO ARRIVAL.

For a stay commencing in 3 weeks i would definately start bidding now. Just clarify if your stay is from 10/1-10/3 or 10/1-10/4 and we'll suggest a strategy to follow.

You'll also need to understand PRICELINE RE-BIDDING so please read that link and feel free to ask any questions you may have. You have two re-bid zones available when bidding 4* in this zone and one re-bid zone available when bidding 3*... see if you can figure them out and/or confirm the zones with the board if you're unsure.

Do you have a maximum bid in mind? Do you have a back-up hotel reserved at all? (if so, where and how much)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yes, October begins a busy season for NYC and it lasts until Christmas (lots of out of towners coming to shop).

You have two re-bids available at the 4* level and only one at the 3* level. If you're not sure of your re-bid zones feel free to confirm them with the board OR if you you don't understand re-bidding please ask questions.

This is how i would proceed:

Select 4* MTE ...

Bid $140, if rejected add MTW and...

Bid $150, if rejected add UM/CPS and...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $180.

If the above is rejected you can wait and try for a 4* again in 3 days, but in your first post you mentioned that you were looking for a 3* or 4*, so if you want to try for a 3* close that browser adn re-acces Priceline however you did previously and bid as follows:

Select 3* MTW....

Bid $135, if rejected add MTE and...

Bid $140, if rejected add UM/CPS and...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $160.

Since you need 2 rooms don't forget to select 2 from the drop down menu.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

HELP.....I'm having trouble getting my application through to Priceline...is it only available to US residents ? I'm in Australia.

There's no scope to recognise a state other than those in the US and it keeps querying my phone numbers.

Can I get in contact with them....their help page doesn't list an email contact.

There's no definitive methodology for prices rising/falling a certain time before check-in... it's all based upon actual supply and demand for your specfic dates.

I don't know the id of the 3.5* you are seeing on Hotwire, but i also don't see any connection to the Melrose... is there a specific reason you connect the one shown to the Melrose? What is the price you're seeing for this 3.5*?

Here you go:

QUICKBOOK has the UN Millenium Hotel for $199/nite for your dates.

It is a bit east but it is a 4* hotel (according to Priceline) and gets GOOD REVIEWS (and our own user REVIEWS).

Quickbook also has the Millenium Broadway for $239, but at that price you probably start to see some other Priceline/Hotwire options come into favor. You can double check (i've already closed the quickbook browser) but i believe it's a 'pay when you stay' rate which i think only has a $10 cancellation penalty... alhtough i'm not sure how far in advance you need to cancel (i'm sure it will be spelled out on their confirmation screen). This will still give you a few more days to try Priceline and Hotwire.

Hard to say because it is very rare that users get the message you received.

It could be that your computer/isp is showing you a cached version of the page, your sale not going thru this morning could have been a glitch in the system, the hotel could have released additional inventory, etc, etc.

Lots of possibilities, but the only way to know for certain would be if you tried to purchase it again. However, i just did a search for your date(s) and i'm not getting any 3* offering in the UES zone... so it may have to do with your computer/isp cache.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]