Priceline Hotel: ADVICE: Movenpick, amsterdam

kitty28
By kitty28,
in

The Movenpick is in the Center-Museum zone. The zone most folks want to be in. If you have been following the AMS Priceline bidding like I have you would have seen a trend. Last year in 2008 the M.Pick showed up a lot as far as a PL winner. Around late 2008 or early 2009 we stopped seeing it show up.

Right now based on the volume of winning bids I have seen, here, there, and everywhere ,you are more likely to score the NH Amsterdam Center if you bid for a 4. (I'd say the NH Carlton runs a distant 2nd place)

For 5's right now we are seeing a run on the NH Barbizon Palace. (Although the NH Kras showed up for a good while in early 2009 and then you do not see it for another while)

NH hotels are the big deal for PL right now in AMS. You could get someother brand but more likley.....it will be a NH property.

4's have been running depending on dates (we have seen some bad weeks showing up) somewhere south of $70USD to maybe as low as $55USD.

5's? A lot of them are showing up around $70 to as low as $66-$67USD. Depending on dates.

As far as expensive time periods?

Watch out for Queensday at the end of this month and a few days after, also the end of June to about July 3rd. And watch out for the week in Sept ending on the 17th or so. Those are very expensive Pl weeks in AMS. We may detect some others. But so far its just those three.

But about the Movenpick. Most seem to love the hotel. The view out the windows is world class they say. Lots of positive feed back on that property for rooms and service. The two negatives for some?

The distance you have to walk to get to central station (there is a hotel shuttle and a tram stop near by so you do not have to walk) Its a 15 min walk to the station. The hotel is just a bit out of center.

The other complaint has to do with its total non-smoking status. But a lot of hotels will have that issue now.

Kitty, if you bid and win a hotel in the center you are going to be at most a 15 min tram ride from Central Station. The Centrum is so compact that any 4 star PL hotel is going to be close.

The 5 star Hilton, which based on all the winning bids I have seen, you are not likely to get, is farther out. That might ba a 30 min tram ride.

I have not seen the Hilton show up in ages.

NH is a good brand. And that is the one you are more than likely to get.

The Hilton does show up fairly regularly, although right now it's dormant. It's only 10 mins to the Dam by tram

or a 20 min walk which is very nice. Its located on Apollolaan which is a very nice residential area.

It's quiet, and still easy to get everywhere. I would have no problem staying there except some rooms can be a little small.

But with PRICELINE you take what you win and make it work. Having HH status helps on a PL stay, unofficially you can get some perks like an upgraded room or free WiFi.

Looks like Nh Hotels are seeking the most PRICELINE business right now.

Good luck

I was reading in another forum that the NH hotels (Spanish owned) are in trouble ...has anyone else heard this?
Well they are Spanish owned and the property market there is in a real mess. (Hotels are basically a part of the property sector) I don't know for sure but it wouldn't surprise me if they were struggling.

That said it shouldn't deter you from bidding at all. If they were to go into recievership it is almost certain that the administrator or any new owner would honour any existing bookings. Even if they didn't your contract is with priceline, not NH, they would be obliged to refund any money you have paid.

Taiko, one of the reasons I have seen the Hilton show up only once in 2009 as far as a posted winner is because of IMO the price. Folks are getting really cheap 4 and 5 star hotels in AMS for very little money. At least folks who do their homework are.

The NH folks own the PL-AMS market right now. And their price points are low. Unless you are totally bidding blind no one is offering a Hilton type of bid.

Nor a Marriott nor a Rennissance nor a Movenpick. Maybe those hotels are staying booked on their own?

All of that could change on the next bid. But so far it has not. Not from all the posted winners I have seen.

It would be beyond great if those dormant hotels did join the party. Maybe in time?

Nor a Marriott nor a Renaissance nor a Movenpick. Maybe those hotels are staying booked on their own?

I have been watching AMS wins closely for a few months.

I was pleased when the odd Hilton, Renaissance, Sofitel, and Marriott win appeared, then dismayed by the overwhelming PL Nh presence.

I have no experience of these properties as Nh and reviews are mixed. I was hoping for an opportunity for a win at a non Nh property.

I'm sure Hilton, Marriott, Renaissance, Movenpick, Sofitel, Amrath etc all have excess inventory.

I feel they are looking at Nh and the winning amounts, and telling themselves this will change some time soon.

As the brand recognition leaders, H, M, R, and S, are reluctant to dilute their retail pricing structure that far.

Its not consistent with the facts to believe that some chains are substantially better off than others, Hotel occupancy is down globally as we all know.

This situation has manifested itself particularly in Amsterdam due to the high Nh presence.

An interesting scenario, thus creating a great opportunity for AMS visitors right now.

However I am going to wait to bid until 14 days out, to see what changes may occur.

I really don't want to spend 6 nights in Nh properties exclusively. I like to split my bids up to add the possibility of different property classes.

I have been to AMS dozens of times, and stayed in many properties from 2* to 5*

I don't need to be on the tourist trail every minute of the day, so for me, Hotel hopping is part of the whole experience.

Well I am no tout for the NH brand. But I did have great luck with them on a PL stay last janurary. The NH Schiller. Although that was the only time I saw that property come up as a winner in 2009.

Brian loved his stay at the NH Amsterdam Center.

People seem to really like the NH Barbizon Palace.

But the Kras and a few others get more mixed reviews. For the money I'd chance a hotel with a mixed review. But that is me. Besides I have stayed in far to many 1 and 2 star places to worry about a mixed review at a 5 star that is cheaper than my 1 and 2 star places.

What dates are you going?

Hi BacSi

Yes - good point taken. 4/5* for the price of a 2* or 3*

I used to stay at Nh when they were Golden Tulip or somesuch.....back when I was younger, noise didn't bother me. Today it really would. I stayed last few trips at the Pulitzer.....moved rooms several times because of noise, so I know there are no guarantees.

I am going to UK and AMS on this trip....AMS on 18th May.

It's no big deal, if I really hate a PL property and I can't resolve it, I get on the internet and move to the Hilton or Starwood on points. Kinda defeats the object of PRICELINE though :)

Brian loved his stay at the NH Amsterdam Center.

I've actually stayed at quite a lot of NH properties both in NL and Spain. Probably in total I have spent some 50 nights in 10 different NH hotels over the past five years and I have never had a bad stay. They are a very decent and generally well run chain of, mostly 4*, hotels. I'd place them in pretty well the same bracket as Holiday Inn or Novotel properties. Like all chain hotels the lack some character and, as with any hotel, there will be ups and downs.

• 1 month later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]