Hotwire Hotel: 3.5* San Francisco (USE) Sir Francis Drake

jenaenae
By jenaenae,
in

I am also new to priceline and hotwire. I tried priceline this morning for a 4* in SF without any luck.

If anyone is familiar with the hotels on hotwire, can anyone suggest one?

I prefer to stay in USW or USE area.

Dates: May 15 - 19

My bids were as follows for 4*:

75 - USE (rejected)

78 - added USW (rejected)

80 - added Civic Center (rejected)

82 - added Fishermans Wharf (rejected)

Anyone have any tips for my next try tomorrow?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Please keep all posts for the same stay in the same thread.

HOTWIRE is currently down so please bump this thread tomorrow so it will go to the top of the queue and we'll take a look... OR are you looking to bid on PRICELINE again?

If you intend to bid first before look at the PRICELINE property, i'd suggest you wait if for a bidding strategy as your current gameplan could result in an overbid and you can improve upon it.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

For priceline, these are my parameters:

Zone preferred: Union Sqaure West and Union Square East (both equal)

Check In: May 15, 2009

Check Out: May 19, 2009

1 room

4 star

Free Rebid Zones are (because they don't have 4* hotels): Civic Centre, Fisherman's Wharf, Marina - Lombard Street, South San Francisco

Max Bid: $95

I hope you can help, thanks!

At the moment i'm doubtful $95 will be enough for a 4 star for these dates, but you have nothing to lose by giving it a try.

Using your FOUR re-bid zones i would try as follows:

Select 4* USW...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $75, if rejected, close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* USE...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $75, if rejected, close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* USW and USE...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100 (if you make it thsi far and want to try once more)

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the tips.

I just tried, and went up to $100/night for USE & USW and was rejected.

I don't get it, because there are people getting the same 4* zones for the weekend before and after.

Any ideas?

I'm starting to consider the 3.5* in USE (even though I would much rather stay in USW) posted on HOTWIRE for $82/night.

What do you think?

At the moment i'm doubtful $95 will be enough for a 4 star for these dates, but you have nothing to lose by giving it a try.
I don't get it, because there are people getting the same 4* zones for the weekend before and after.
Rates are date specific, and can be quite different from one nite to the next as well as one weekend to the next. For example (i'm not saying this is the case but an example to 'bring home' the point)... what if this is generally a relatively slow time in the area, so rates are generally low, but the dates you're attending there is a BIG conference in town which causes many hotels to sell-out... it would not be unreasonable to see much higher prices (or not PRICELINE availability at all) for these conference dates vs. the previous and following weekends.

As well, i'm not sure which dates you're looking at to compare prices, but if they are just weekend stays, your dates encompass a midweek nite as well.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

I finally went with the 3.5* hotel in USE for $84with the amenities listed above, and got the Sir Francis Drake Hotel (a Kimpton Hotel) right in Union square, on Powell Street. I looked up the hotel, and it's an an excellent location, with the cable cars running right in front of the hotel.

The going rate for that hotel on their website $309/night.

I also used the HOTWIRE link from here.

Congratulations on your success!

While you weren't able to get a 4* within your budget, sounds like this works out well for your needs and you're happy with the results.

Thank you for sharing your results with the board and using our HOTWIRE link to begin your purchase.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]