Check-In Date:

Wed, Jul 22, 2009 / After 03:00 PM

Check-Out Date:

Sat, Jul 25, 2009 / 12:00 PM

Your Offer Price Per Room, Per Night: $85.00

Subtotal: $255.00

Taxes & Service Fees: $49.60

Total Charges*: $304.60

Current nightly rates on Hotels.com for my trip period at this hotel is 703.27. I saved almost 400 dollars (The broadway show and dinner for the family) thanks to betterbidding! :)

I bid 80, 81, and finally went to 85. I saw on the site that Jersey City had to only 4* hotels in the bidding zone so I just changed locations and went for it. I am very excited about this as we are taking our kids to NYC for the first time and to see The Lion King.

We are arriving via Amtrak and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on getting to Jersey City from Penn Station. I noticed that you can take the PATH train from Penn Station but with 4 small kids, I would hate to do that if it is not easy. I was considering paying for a roundtrip service. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Congratulations on your success and thank you for sharing your results with the board.

Looks like a fantastic deal for this newer property, and that's terrific that the money saved can go towards quite a few things. Hopefully some of the local members can offer tips on the best way to get from NYC to Jersey. Not sure which Amtrak you're taking, but the stretch from Albany to NYC is absolutely gorgeous, if you're taking one of the routes that follows that path. If there are 6 in your party, I wouldn't make it obvious at check-in.

Please use the site's PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to start future purchases.

Have a great trip.

I agree. We are acutally coming from Florida so I think it is the Amtrak coming from DC.

I did a test hotel stay last month in Atlanta as we were coming back from Spring Break and got a 4* in downtown Atlanta with a double bed and they were more than accomodating. My kids are small. 9 year old twins, a 6 year old and a 4 year old. We simply don't need 2 rooms yet. I will probably check in without them just in case though. I have already called ahead and requested a double bed and they noted it on my reservations and stated that it should not be a problem.

Thanks for your input.

Penn Station to Jersey City is easy... but not sure how easy with 4 kids and luggage.

You'd want to exit Penn Station at the 32nd St and Seventh Ave exit... then it's a one block walk down 32nd St to Sixth Avenue and you get on the PATH train (towards Journal Square) there.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I've haven't been to the Westin or New York but I'm booked in for 2 weeks in May there. From Penn it looks like it's either the PATH or a taxi (or minibus in your case?) Anyway, PATH seems like the best option for transport, that's why I chose the Westin. With 6 people you are better off with a metrocard then a PATH smart-link card, as you get a 15% discount on loading it, and you can scan through up to four people on each card. In Manhattan up to three children 44 inches tall and under ride for free on subways and local buses when accompanied by a fare paying adult. On the PATH Children age 5 and under ride PATH free. Fake it with the six year old.

PATH www.panynj.gov/path/index.html(Port Authority Trans-Hudson) is a subway type system connecting Newark and various points on the New Jersey shore of the Hudson River with New York City. Two lines pass under the Hudson and enter the city, one terminating at a temporary World Trade Center site station in downtown, the other at 33rd Street in midtown. The 33rd Street Station was once connected underground to Penn Station, but now, presumably due to security concerns, the underground passage is closed and you must walk a block west on the surface of 33rd.

Also check out some free hours for museums, gardens and zoos here: http://www.newyorkology.com/archives/2009/..._hours_at_m.php

With 6 people you are better off with a metrocard then a PATH smart-link card

Not really...

Get a metrocard for the NYC subway, but use a separate QuickCard for the PATH... brings the $1.75 cash fare down to $1.40 if you buy 10 tips and down to $1.20 if you buy 20 trips.

The SmartCard also costs $5 so not really a viable option for a short term visitor.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I am not interested in paying for Wi Fi service but plan to update friends and family via facebook daily.

What is the closet location to bum free wi fi when staying at the Westin?

I don't mind walking a mile or so daily to accomplish this. I heard the doubletree was free. Can I go sit there and surf?

Thanks!

I don't know the the closest options but as long as you're willing to buy a cup of coffee it shouldn't be too far, but you'll need to make some phone calls first before you go:

Starbucks: (walk towards the water there is a lttle 'city' behind the Courtyard: 111 Pavonia Ave, Jersey City, NJ 07310 - i THINK this promo is till going on, but if you get a gift card and use it to buy anything you get 2 hours free of internet access (may need to be continuous, so can't use one hour in the morning and then one hour in the evening)

Closer to the hotel is a Seattle's Best and a Cosi (flatbread style sandwiches), not sure if either offers (free) wi-fi but would seem quite possible

There are BIG apartment buildings nearby too (Newport Centre) so there's a decent chance somebody will have an open signal.

There are likely also coffee shops by Grove Street which offer wi-fi, but i'd call ahead of time to save the walk over there.

I'm more familiar with Hoboken (which is a good place to just come and visit anyway :) ) where Panera offers free wi-fi (although limited to one 30 minute session during their peak hours of 11:30am-2:30pm) and the local library offers free internet as well.

The above should at least be enough to get you started in your research.

I didn't know DD was phasing in Wi-Fi (i think that's good news) and will have to look into our local ones to see if anyone will be implementing... thanks for letting us know.

However, the location above is a 'sattelite' store and just a counter inside the Shop Rite supermarket (not even a sitting area) so i doubt this would be a wi-fi enabled location.

• 3 weeks later...
What is the closet location to bum free wi fi when staying at the Westin?

The closet location is the Westin itself :)

I stayed (at the very nice hotel!) last weekend and have good news for you: just sit down in the lobby - wifi is free there for guests. You only have to pay at your room.

• 1 month later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]