Priceline Hotel: 3* Los Angeles (Hollywood) Hollywood Heights Hotel

jerry2004
By jerry2004,
in

There seems to be something going on in the downtown area - on HOTWIRE, there's little in the way of inventory in the downtown zone, but the other surrounding areas appear to have more reasonable prices and more choices. What is your max budget per night, or would you be interested in other areas (if so, which?)

Please use the site's HOTWIRE and PRICELINE links to start your purchases.

All the places I need to get to are around these two areas so i really need to stay around here otherwise cabs will cost me more in general. Ideally I'd like to pay nothing more than $70 as otherwise it dosen't seem worth using priceline as i've only save $20 from using it and getting the sheraton (which I got blind) I'd rather pay the extra $20 and have some say over where I get? I booked my holiday thinking i'd be able to save money using priceline but it's turning into a nightmare.

The Sheraton is sold out on 5/24-5/28. Unless that chages you shouldn't plan on Sheraton as your backup.

A 4* in Hollywood typically costs $90 minimum.

Although Priceline offers 3.5* bidding in Hollywood there's never been a 3.5* win reported in Hollywood and there might not be any 3.5* hotels there. Sometimes Priceline offers a bidding option when they have no hotels at that quality level.

We don't see a lot of 3* bidding in Hollywood but the last reported wins have been at $69 and $70, after $68 was rejected. You've only bid to $66 so far, so you might be within a few dollars of a 3* win in Hollywood.

Ideally I'd like to pay nothing more than $70 as otherwise it dosen't seem worth using priceline as i've only save $20 from using it and getting the sheraton (which I got blind) I'd rather pay the extra $20 and have some say over where I get?
Have you found any acceptable hotels that you can book conventionally for $90?
Just bidded again today - downscaled to 3* rejected up to $75

Just to be clear were you rejected to $75 for a 3* in Downtown and Hollywood?

If so I would wait until Monday afternoon (US Time) and repeat. Bid to $75 for 3.5* in both zones; then to $75 for 3*. You can bid every 24 hours but I don't think inventory will probably change much from Saturday to Sunday.

It's common for inventory to open up as your travel dates get closer, although that doesn't happen always. We can talk more about waiting vs bidding higher after you try $75 again.

Please use this PRICELINE link on Monday. Good luck!

Hi Yes. I started at around $67 added another star rating and upped my bid. added another area and upped my bid. Added 3* and upped my bid to $75 and was rejected again for downtown and hollywood areas. Including Lawndale as my free bid zone. Although it still seemas $75 is high for 3* through priceline? Should I start again lower on Monday again and build up again to $75 by the end of my free extra bids? thanks.

$75 is higher than others have been paying but you're bidding for more expensive dates than usual. The 3.5* Marriott and Sheraton are both sold out and we don't see that very often.

Also keep in mind when you're bidding for a 3* in Hollywood you're bidding for just one known hotel---the Hollywood Heights. (The Heights is $169 for your dates.) If that one hotel hasn't given Priceline inventory then your 3* bid won't be accepted. Contrast that situation to bidding for a 4* in Beverly Hills, where there are ten known 4* hotels that could come up.

On Monday I'd try this:

$70/3.5* Downtown + Hollywood. Add Lawndale at $75 or $80.

If rejected close browser, reaccess Priceline, and try:

$70/3* Downtown + Hollywood. Add Lawndale at $75 or $80.

You've got lots of time. Don't get frustrated.

The Sheraton is sold out on 5/24-5/28. Unless that chages you shouldn't plan on Sheraton as your backup.

A 4* in Hollywood typically costs $90 minimum.

Although Priceline offers 3.5* bidding in Hollywood there's never been a 3.5* win reported in Hollywood and there might not be any 3.5* hotels there. Sometimes Priceline offers a bidding option when they have no hotels at that quality level.

We don't see a lot of 3* bidding in Hollywood but the last reported wins have been at $69 and $70, after $68 was rejected. You've only bid to $66 so far, so you might be within a few dollars of a 3* win in Hollywood.

Have you found any acceptable hotels that you can book conventionally for $90?

Hi What I meant was I've already paid $90 for the sheratan through priceline. If you go to thier site it's $109 so if $3.5* are around that price anyway to pay $20 more and get to choose the $20 seems worth it say for getting somewhere with free internet or less for parking etc.

You won the Sheraton for $90 on 5/21-5/24. That doesn't mean you can win it for $90 on 5/24-5/28. Rates are date dependent.

Sheraton is $129 for 5/21-5/24 now, but sold out on 5/24-5/28. Actually 5/24 alone is available at $129. The last three nights are sold out.

Would you like to try getting one more night, 5/24, at Sheraton? You could either do that via Add a Night to get it at $90, or you could try conventional bidding from $75 to $90 to try for a lower price. The Marriott is sold out on 5/24 so you won't get that. With convenitonal bidding you might win a different 3.5* though, not Marriott or Sheraton, and you'd have to move.

If you're willing to go to $100 another good possibility is a 4* in Hollywood. The Hollywood Renaissance is available for your dates at $239. $100 would be an excellent rate for the Renaissance if you can get it, and the Red Line train to Downtown is just a short walk from the hotel.

Hi thanks for your help. I've just done some more bidding for those dates in Hollywood and Downtown reaching $70 for 3* and not getting anything. I'll try tomorrow going up to $75. I'll have a look at the renaissance. Wouldn't mind hollywood heights but that hasn't come up yet in my bidding at $70. But $75 seems more than others have paid for even a 3.5* perhaps I'm just being unlucky.

I see there's a large convention at the LA Convention Center 5/24-5/28...the exact dates you're after. Maybe you're attending? It's the NAFSA convention, an association of international educators. One article mentioned 8,000 possible attendees. The convention website says NAFSA's reserved hotel rooms all over downtown LA, at various pricepoints. The hotels aren't named and NAFSA requests that you arrange hotels through NAFSA.

Attendees can cancel registration through May 1 without penalty. At big conventions like this there are always some cancellations, and reserved but unneeded rooms get turned back to the hotels. Although I can't guarantee anything I wouldn't be surprised if Downtown availability doesn't improve in May.

If you've got patience and Downtown is your preferred zone you could book a cancellable backup reservation now; then keep trying to $75 for 4*, 3.5*, 3* Downtown every few days. Or if bidding that often drives you crazy you could book a backup now and put this aside until May 1.

If Hollywood's your preferred zone, or you're eager to secure something now, then try to $100 for a Hollywood 4*. I think you might be bidding a little early for the 3* Hollywood Heights. Keep trying to $75 for 3* every couple days now if you prefer that over paying more for a 4*.

Hi thanks for the advice. No I'm just over on a short vacation so was hoping it would be cheap all round with booking through priceline as well :/

Ok i'll re-read this later and what I'll do is just keep putting in the same 3 bid variations each day leading up to $75 until something comes up. I'm checking deals on Expedia and Booking.com as well. If nothing comes up I'll have to re-look at just booking normally for a 2*

We'll be interested to hear where you ultimately end up, even if if you don't book via Priceline or Hotwire, jerry2004.

I expect you'll be able to get a 3* or better for $75 or less if you're patient.

If you decide to wait this out you should book a cancellable backup now. You'll feel better about waiting if you know you've got something reserved.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

I don't mind waiting. But i'd ideally like to have everything done now. But anyway i'm trying each day. Can I just check i'm doing it all right?

I'm putting in $70/3.5* Downtown + Hollywood. Add Lawndale at $75 or $80.

$70/3* Downtown + Hollywood. Add Lawndale at $75 or $80.

should I just keep trying the same thing each day until I get something? Is even $70 dear for a 3* anyway on PRICELINE. Also should I bother with 2* in Downtown if I really need to stay there for 24th May if so what 2* usually come up on priceline for downtown? then perhaps move onto Hollywood for 25th - 28th instead.

I need downtown for 24th May but can include 25th to get another bid. Willing to pay $70 for 3.5* or less for 3*

Then either 25th May - 28th May or 26th May - 28th May (depending on 1st win) in either Hollywood or Downtown. Just need cheapest price in either.

Or shall I just wait nearer the time and use deals on hotwire i've seen for May advertised at the moment for 3* and 4* for $70-90 for early may. They may come up nearer the times I want to go?

Willing to pay $70 for 3.5* or less for 3*
Above, haven't you already bid (or proposed bidding) up to $80 for a 3*?

If you have already bid, did you try up to $80 (or some other amount) for both possible date combinations? (and for both 3.5* and 3* hotels)

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yes, just to reaffirm, that's the strategy I'm recommending.

I also recommended that you book a cancellable backup while you wait. Have you done that?

I see something new on Hotwire today, a 3.5* Downtown for $104.

Fitness, Restaurant, Business, Highspeed.

That looks like a match for the Kyoto Grand. The Kyoto Grand's been reported as a Priceline 3*. PRICELINE usually beats HOTWIRE on price so you may be able to get this on Priceline somewhere between $76 (your last rejected bid) and $104. Maybe $80 or $85?

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]