Priceline Hotel: 4* Newark (Jersey City) Hyatt Regency on the Hudson

wanttobetrvlr
By wanttobetrvlr,
in

Hi, I am new to this forum and am trying to get a hotel in the New Jersey area that is close to Manhattan for stay from 4/8/09 and 4/11/09.

I found two hotels and am trying to see if anyone could help with identifying these hotels. Here is the info:

3-star hotel in Secaucus - Meadowlands for $68.00

and

3-star hotel in Fort Lee - Hackensack for $65.00

I have two young kids and want to stay in a decent neighborhood and also something that is convenient to travel to Manhattan via rail.

Thanks for any help you could provide.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

For easy commute via mass transit into Manhattan you don't want to stay in the Ft Lee area... not really convenient to where you want to be. The Secaucus-Meadowlands area is doable, but you'd be commuting via bud (not rail as you posted you wanted).

What is your nightly budget for this stay?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the tip about having to travel by bus instead of rail. I would certainly prefer rail since I have heard that depending on time of day, it could take a while to get to Manhattan by road.

My budget is around $80 a night. I appreciate any help.

I will make sure to use the HOTWIRE link on this site to make my final purchase.

Thanks.

what are the amenities associated with the Secaucus hotel? Also, the following is available for your dates of travel in the Hoboken-Jersey City zone:

2* Amenities: Fitness, Kitchenette, Hi-Speed Internet, Laundry for $69. This appears to be the Candlewood Suites. The location can't be beat for ease of access via the PATH train into NYC.

Assuming that is the Candelwood Suites that would be a nice deal, HOWEVER, make sure you book for 2adults/2children so that you can assure a room with a pullout couch (as all rooms here only have one bed, afaik). Also, while this hotel is walkable to the PATH train, it may be a bit far for a 6 and 8 year old, depending how much they may complain. The hotel does off scheduled shuttle service to the PATH train but they you're on their scheulde (it's not on demand). This would also work out well given it has a small kitchen and refrigerator to keep snacks and drinks for the kids.

If you're willing to stretch your budget a little HOTWIRE has a 4* hotel with Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, which is a match for the Westin or the Hyatt... both are great properties (the Hyatt gets reviewed very well and is just steps from the PATH station to downtown manhattan while the Westin is brand new (maybe 2months old), convenient to the Newport PATH station, as well as walkable to a local supermarket (again, snacks for the kids) as well as a handful of restaurants)... i don't think you could go wrong with either of these hotels, imo.

A hotel in the Waterfront area of Jersey City (you want to avoid the area by Route 1&9) would be better, and a more enjoyable stay, than stayin in the Secaucus/Meadowlands area (which isn't terrible, but the waterfront area is nicer and provdes better access (as well as rail access) to Manhattan)

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I am not seeing the 2 * hotel that you mentioned earlier. Also, I am not seeing the 3 * hotel that I saw yesterday in Secaucus for $68. I am seeing one now for $78 a night that is a 3-star hotel in Secaucus - Meadowlands. The amenities listed are Fitness center, restaurant, business center and high speed internet. I don't mind driving a little bit to get to the PATH station as long as I won't be sitting in traffic for a long time.

Thanks

Hi, I am also looking in Hotwire but have never used Priceline and wanted to know how I can go about trying to find a hotel that is close to NY City. My wife and I are travelling with 2 small kids and would prefer to stay close to the PATH station, but don't mind driving a short distance to get to the train. My budget is $80 a night and the nights of stay are 4/8, 4/9 and 4/10/09.

Thanks

Please keep all posts for the same stay in the same thread.

PRICELINE only guarantees double occupancy, after that it's at the discretion of the hotel, so it's possible that you could receive a room with only bed, and the hotel unable (or unwilling) to provide you with a room with two beds... is this a risk you're willing to accept?

If you stay in Secaucus-Meadowland count on taking the bus... to get to the nearest PATH station traffic will be an unknown (unless you go during rush hour in which you will hit traffic... any other timem is a crapshoot). Busses have their own express lane into the city during rush hour but during other times they sit in traffic like everyone else.

As well, even if you don't hit traffic, parking will be an issue near any PATH station as you'll need to pay for parking.

Is there a reason your not considering the 2* HOTWIRE hotel (which shows a good Tripadvisor user review rating) or upping your limit for a 4* hotel in this area (which both 'known' hotels are GREAT)

I am assuming you are referring to the Candlewood suites when you are talking about the 2 * option. It looks like it will be just fine for us.

The only reason to not go with the 2 * would be becasue it only comes up if I look for a room for 2 adults. If I pick 2 adults and 2 kids, then that option no longer shows up.

I am just not sure how this is going to work if I go ahead and book it as 2 adults and then if they are going to charge me a lot more for the 2 kids

Hmm... i thought i tried it the other nite for 2adults/2chidren as rooms with a pullout sofabed are considered an upgrade from standard at this property (which is why i distinctively checked)

Could you possibly stretch your budget for the 4* in Jersey City as i do think it would be a better experience than staying in Secaucus.

Although if you could upgrade at the Candlewood Suites it might still be worthwhile as parking there is free (last i checked) vs. a charge at the Hyatt or Westin.

You could give them a call as if you already have a booking thru HOTWIRE (if they ask for a confirmation number or last name let them know your friends made the reservation and you're not sure which one did it) but you're now thinking of joining them... would it be possible to update to a room with a pullout sofabed on a HOTWIRE reservation, and if so, how much would it be? While you have them on the phone you can confirm if parking is still free for overnite guests :)

Let us knoww what they say.

I wanted to let everyone know that I ended up bidding for a 4 * hotel in Jersey City for $80 and won the bid. It turned out to be the Hyatt Regency on the Hudson in Jersey City. It was a great place to stay. The PATH station was right across the street from the hotel. The only drawback was that there were not too many places to eat near the hotel and the food at the hotel was very expensive. It turned out OK for us since we spent most of the time in the city. The hotel was great and the view from the room was amazing. Very convenient and I would highly recommend it. If you need to park though, it is $24/day.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]