Cancellable booking changed to Priceline/Hotwire - doable?

elizabeth147
By elizabeth147,
in

Has anyone ever done this:

1. make a cancellable booking of some hotel you want to stay in, at the hotel's rate

2. closer to date of planned arrival, bid on and win the same hotel, on PRICELINE or HOTWIRE

3. cancel original booking

4. and go stay in the hotel on your Priceline/Hotwire booking?

--all using the same name --?

I have always wondered if this was likely to cause a problem. Have never done it, but for some trips, there are hotels which I want to stay in which also often come up on PRICELINE -- so if I made a cancellable "security booking," I could end up cancelling and then staying at the same place.

what happens if another hotel with similar ratings accepts your PRICELINE bid?

I think you may be better off using HOTWIRE as you will have better odds of identifying the hotel before purchase. I don't think this would be a problem, but if you are lucky to make this happen, you should notify the hotel immediately to cancel your conventional reservation.

The scenario you describe above happens quite frequently... really no issue with it.

When it does happen, usually a good idea to cancel using the confirmation number rather than your last name just so the clerk doesn't accidentally cancel the wrong reservation. :)

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Great tip re: cancelling by reference number and not name, thanks.

Re: a comment above - thanks - but once in awhile I am in a situation where I'm pretty sure that the hotel I have in mind is the only one in my star category and location on PRICELINE -- but definitely worth thinking about. I don't ever bid unless I'm somewhat open to a surprise!!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]