Priceline Hotel: 2* Newark (Jersey City) Candlewood

flyme2
By flyme2,
in

I've been trying to help some relations with a trip to NYC, and as a backup plan, in case the terrific Hyatt isn't available on PL for their, as yet undecided dates, I've gone to HW.

On HW, a 2.5* property has popped up without fail, often the only property to show up at all, other than the Hyatt. I am pretty certain it's the Candlewood Suites, but I'd love someone to be able to verify my assumption. The thing that worries me is that it "SUITE" isn't among the description/amenities listing. Last thing I want is complaints from in-laws about being stuck in the Econo Lodge on Tonnelle.

Here's the description for any of you would-be sleuths. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2.5* Hoboken-Jersey City

Fitness

Kitchenette

Laundry

You sound like you know this area pretty well. You may (or may not) be aware but i live less then 2 miles from the hotels in this area.

Nobody has yet won the 2.5* but it is believed to be the Candelwood Suites. There is also a Courtyard in the same area but i would think that would more likely be a 3* according to Hotwire and also have an internet icon (and maybe not have the kitchenette icon?)

I don't think i have ever seen a Travelodge rates higher than 2*.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks, thereuare, for your quick reply. I would hope that the property would turn out to be the Candlewood Suites, as it's a great property with a lot going for it ... location, free parking, kitchenettes, etc. If it were for myself, I wouldn't hesitate for a second. But after boasting about the great PL and HW deals to be had, I'd hate like heck to have to wipe the egg from my face.

Another possibility ... please, please prove me wrong, is the Ramada Limited, also on Tonnelle. It does have a fitness center and offers laundry facilities.

The in-laws will eventually hate you for something so it might as well be this! :)

You must pay more attention than i do when traveling on Tonnelle, and admittedly, i don't tavel that road very often in the area where the hotels are. However, the area is so run down that i always assumed that was where the 1* and 2* hotels in the zone were located.

What are the dates that you're looking for?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for your help. Anywhere between Sep 21 and 24.

I actually don't live in the NYC area, but I had cause to frequent the area quite a bit in my youth, back in the early seventies The first hotel I ever paid for, at the ripe old age of 17, was actually the Holiday Inn in Jersey City that used to sit opposite the entrance to the Holland Tunnel. Cost me $24. I think the property still exists as the Holland Motor Lodge. Who would have thought, 30 years later, that $37 would get you a hotel of the Hyatt JC's calibre?

I would concur that it's the Candlewood Suites. If it's on HW, it's most likely available on PL too, and for substantially less. On PL Candlewood Suites is 2*, so if you'd like to shoot for that, just skip 2.5* and drop down to 2* if 3* doesn't work. Although there's a chance you could get upgraded to 2.5*, all the PL hotels that have come up in Jersey City are decent IMO (having stayed in 3 out of 4 of them).

I see Hotwire has CS for $66 on your dates. If bidding on PL, I would suggest $50. The lowest prevailing rate at ichotelsgroup.com is $120.

CANDLEWOOD IS MISSING

The above is a search of only the New Jersey Forum where TRAVELGUY has posted... scan which topics he's started and you can see the missing hotel is the Candlewood.

This advanced use of the search feature has been brought to you by the BETTER BIDDING AIRFARE CHECKER TOOL. (until we can find a sponsor we'll sponsor it ourselves :) )

• 2 weeks later...

Stayed at the Candlewood on St. Patty's day '04 thru HW, this was a 2.5* with Kitchenette, laundry and fitness center @ $63.00; with taxes and fees $78.00. Doubletree is a bit worn, they charge for parking, I think $10 per day, Candlewood did not charge in March. The Kitchenette is nice, a two burner stove and a full size refrigerator. Haven't stayed at the Courtyard yet, I'm not sure if they sell rooms thru Hotwire. Can't think of a single Marriott property that I have stayed in via Hotwire now that I think of it. Candlewood is a fairly new property and is close to the PATH train station ($1.50 bargain fare each way) or the NY Water Taxi. You will not get egg on your face with this one.....you will get an attaboy!!!

I think the hotels on Tonnele Ave. are 2* rated with minimal amenities, and it looks like these are found on the Jersey City Map...

Thank you, dahammer!. That's exactly what I needed to hear. I'd still like to get the Hyatt on PL for $37, but PL doesn't want to play ball. The Candlewood will be a viable Plan B until about 3 weeks before the in-laws arrival. I checked out the property a couple of weeks ago during a stay at the Hyatt, and it looks fine. The parking lot had a key slot entry system that wasn't in use. Looks like they'll have the option to either beef up security or charge for parking.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been trying to get this property or the 3* Hyatt for about a month without any luck. I've been bidding on behalf of some of my wife's young European relations using their credit card. After many rejections, for this region and others in the Boston area, I began trying my own c/c. After a couple of initial failres, I finall managed to score with the 2* Candlewood Suites for $55. Details are as follows:

Your Offer Price: $55.00

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 2

Subtotal: $110.00

Taxes & Service Fees: $22.71

Total Charges: $132.71

I'm beginnning to wonder if their Euro MasterCard is being rejected out of hand by PL? I did notice that every one of the bids I made using their c/c resulted in the old "wait 15 minutes" PL page popping up before the rejection, whereas bids using my c/c were handled in the normal manner. I'm going to co-ordinate future bidding using my c/c immediately after any subsequent rejections using theirs. I'll report back.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]