Priceline Hotel: Not being invited to rebid?

tannersarms
By tannersarms,
in

Hi

I've not used Priceline for a while, my last few stays have been in London and I found a hotel I liked on Hotwire. Tonight though, I'm trying to get a room in DC tomorrow night. Referring to the Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins, I see someone got a 4* room at Foggy Bottom/Georgetown for $105, so I thought I'd give this a go myself.

Aware of free rebid opportunities, I started at $75 thinking I'd work myself up to $105 using those rebids.

After my first rejection I was invited to rebid, so I added $10 and a different, non-4* area. That went to processing, but then took me to a never before screen saying

Thank You for Naming Your Own Price - Unfortunately, we can't accept your offer. During our search, however, we did find special priceline rates available for your travel dates at the hotels shown below.

and inviting me to choose a hotel at a Priceline "Fee Chop" discount.

I have never seen this before. Does this simply mean there are no rooms in Foggy Bottom for that night at that * rating? If so, why did it invite me to make changes (I suppose a date change was possible change of parameters, so that might explain it).

Thanks for any advice.

my last few stays have been in London and I found a hotel I liked on Hotwire.
It would be appreciated if you shared your wins with the board... the information will then help others with their own stays just as you have been helped by the information shared by others.
Referring to the Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins... I started at $75...
It would also be appreciated if you used the previously requested PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your future travel bidding, searches, and purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

My only other post here was sharing a PRICELINE win. You're right though, I didn't post my HOTWIRE wins, mainly because it's pretty well documented that the 3* hotel in Earls Court/Kensington with High Speed Internet and Complimentary Breakfast is the Holiday Inn Express Earls Court, so wasn't sure how people would benefit if they'd already done a little digging around.

I think I used the aff links as I went straight from the calendar of wins to the post about that win to PL following hyperlinks.

You're right though, I didn't post my HOTWIRE wins, mainly because it's pretty well documented that the 3* hotel in Earls Court/Kensington with High Speed Internet and Complimentary Breakfast is the Holiday Inn Express Earls Court, so wasn't sure how people would benefit if they'd already done a little digging around.
Suppose (now or in the future) there are two properties with the same amenities, one may be won MUCH more frequenlty than the other... but if winners decided not to post because "it's already been reported" then there would only be one post for each and nobody would have a sense of which one was awarded more frequently.

As well, if someone is trying to identify a HOTWIRE property, they can have more confidence in that guess if the amenities match what was just reported to be associated with the hotel a few days/weeks ago vs. an older post months prior. :)

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Suppose (now or in the future) there are two properties with the same amenities, one may be won MUCH more frequenlty than the other... but if winners decided not to post because "it's already been reported" then there would only be one post for each and nobody would have a sense of which one was awarded more frequently.

As well, if someone is trying to identify a HOTWIRE property, they can have more confidence in that guess if the amenities match what was just reported to be associated with the hotel a few days/weeks ago vs. an older post months prior. :)

I'll absolutely use the links, but as I'm 5 hours away from landing in DC, I wonder if you'd have the chance to answer my question. Does the screen I got simply mean that they have no availibility at that star level?

I'll absolutely use the links, but as I'm 5 hours away from landing in DC, I wonder if you'd have the chance to answer my question. Does the screen I got simply mean that they have no availibility at that star level?

this is probably too late to make a difference, but if you are bidding for a same day stay, why would you start bidding substantially below a reported win? But to answer your question, this message has no bearing on the availability of rooms. I have received this message before and I think its a way for PRICELINE to make you aware of its Shop and Compare product in case bidding is unsuccessful.

It's called cross-marketing... they know you need a hotel, you're already at their website, and while they coudln't find a hotel to accept your offer (and for the average PRICELINE bidding they'd be done bidding for the day), so they offer a hotel at 'retail' price.

Is this stay indeed for tonite?

I was just following the same bidding track as the previously reported win. Figured it wouldn't have gone up, but may have gone down. It was actually for a work trip, so the expense wasn't mine but I was trying to be savvy. If it's my own dime at risk I'm a bit more proactive!

Ended up getting a travel agent to book the Westin Tysons Corner for me from the plane.....

Thanks for the answer to my question though.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]