Priceline Hotel: 3.5* Los Angeles (Santa Monica-Marina Del Rey) Marriott Marina Del Rey

badman01
By badman01,
in

Hi,

I am looking for a hotel in the santa monica Area for 1 or 2 nights.

It would be nice if we can get a hotel near the beach around 70 bucks.

It should be clean and has not to be a luxurious room.

It is just a short trip - so we won't stay in the hotel during the day.

What would be a good starting bid for a hotel with ~3*

Maybe hollywood would be OK also.

Helped me with the 2nights in SF - so i hope to get herlp for LA too.

thx so far

I am looking for a hotel in the santa monica Area for 1 or 2 nights.

Keep in mind PRICELINE's Santa Monica-Marina Del Rey zone includes hotels that aren't in Santa Monica. Are you okay with staying in Venice or Marina Del Rey areas as well? Probably a 10-20 minute drive to Santa Monica depending on traffic and which hotel you win. If you bid 4* or 3.5* you'll be in Santa Monica. If you bid 3* or lower you might be in any part of the zone.

If you only want Santa Monica then Hotwire might work better, as you can ID hotels in advance and choose a hotel in Santa Monica. (HOTWIRE's relevant zone also includes SM, Venice, and MDR.)

Now I got the final date:

4/2/09-4/4/09

First we thought about staying 1or2 nights in LA and then 2or1 in san diego - the dodgers game made the decision for 2nights LA.

The direkt Santa Monica Area would be nice - we want to go to the beach the first afternoon after arriving.

Second day visiting Hollywood / Universal - and at the evening visiting the Dodgers Game.

So i think direkt at the beach would be nice but is not a must have.

Which other area can i try to reach the points i want to visit?

( Safe and clean is important to me ...)

And where should i start bidding for 3,5+ * at Santa Monica Area?

Someobody more local to the area than i am can comment which other areas might work for your needs, but you can also use our companion site BackUpBooking.com to enter a location and you can then see which hotels are nearby and which would work for your needs.

Once you determine that the Santa Monica area is best, and if there are any other zone(s) you want to include in your bidding, we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow (there's no point if outlining a Santa Monica strategy if there is another zone which will work well for your needs OR if there are other zoen(s) you're also considering bidding on)

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The direkt Santa Monica Area would be nice - we want to go to the beach the first afternoon after arriving.

You can't bid for a beachfront hotel on PRICELINE. The Santa Monica-MDR zone is probably best for you, if you accept that you probably won't win a beachfront hotel; you might win something several blocks from the beach; and that you might win a hotel in Venice or Marina Del Rey areas as well.

I don't think your $70 limit is enough for a 3.5* in SM-MDR, but it might be enough for a 3*. If you'd like to try for a 3.5* first I'd suggest bidding your $70 limit. If that doesn't work let us know and we'll give a strategy for 3*.

HOTWIRE has a 2.5* in SM-Venice-MDR for $102 that looks like the Cadillac Hotel on the Venice Boardwalk. Icons: Boutique, Breakfast, Highspeed Internet. $102 is over your limit but I'm mentioning it because the Cadillac is directly on the beach and this is probably around the lowest price you'll find for a beachfront property. Regular price is $135.

Another possibility, since you're going to Universal Studios on Day 2, is to stay in Santa Monica area on Day 1, and get a hotel near Universal or Hollywood on Day 2, saving yourself some commute time.

Hi,

I think you are right and splitting the days would be a good idea ....

I think then i prepare to take the first night a first line to beach hotel in SM ( above 100$) and a cheaper one near the dodgers stadium for the second night. Then we can go to Universal or something like that and then to San Diego.

What area is next to the stadium?

I have to take a look at that first.

So what is the best strategy to get a front line Beach Hotel at SM for at highest ~120$?

I'm not familiar with the terms "frontline hotel" or "first line hotel" either. Do you mean a beachfront hotel, or is "first line hotel" a highly rated hotel, whether beachfront or not?

As mentioned you can't bid for a beachfront hotel on Priceline. At every quality level there are hotels that aren't beachfront. If you want a beachfront property you'll need to book conventionally or choose a Hotwire hotel that has an oceanfront icon.

I suggested the Cadillac Hotel in Venice on HOTWIRE for $102. That's beachfront but a couple miles (two?) down the beach from Santa Monica. Venice is different than Santa Monica but also a fun place to see. If you want a hotel that's both beachfront and in Santa Monica it will probably cost more than $102. Remember Cadillac is a 2.5* hotel. You're not going to get a 4* beachfront property in your price range. I suggest reading the TripAdvisor reviews to see if the Cadillac sounds like a hotel you'd like.

Maybe someone reading this will have other suggestions of a beachfront motel for $102 or less.

If not the Cadillac I suggest bidding $70-80 for a 3* on PRICELINE. You probably won't win a beachfront property but something within 6 blocks. A Priceline 3* will be a "nicer" more modern hotel than the Cadillac, which has been around since the 1920's I think.

If you want help with Night 2 stay, please start a separate thread for that.

hi,

sorry i mean Beachfront not frontline - my mistake.

I think then i will try starting for a 3* Hotel in the beach area with 70$.

Which zone are you refering to when you mention "Beach area"?

Keep in mind, as posted above, that you can't guarantee a Beachfront property when using PRICELINE (if this is a requirement than you would probably be better served using HOTWIRE which will show you a Beachfront icon if the property is located on the beach... this will likely cost you a little more than PRICELINE, but you'll be assured of receiving what you're looking for).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I doubt that $80 will be enough for a 3.5* in the Marina Del Rey zone but you have nothing to lose by giving it a shot, so i would try that first and then lower to a 3* if that is rejected.

To begin...

At the 3.5* level you have TWO re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

(NOTE: 're-bid zone1' is not the same as priceline's Zone1, 're-bid zone2' is not the same as priceline's Zone2, etc, etc)

Select 3.5* Marina Del Rey...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $70, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* Marina Del Rey and re-bid zone2...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $80

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Just bidded 86$ for a 3,5*star Motel in Del Rey/SM area and Priceline told me to increase by 22$.

I tried 92$ and got the "Marriott Marina Del Rey".

Total cost for the 2 nights are :

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 2

Room Subtotal: $184.00 (USD)

Taxes and Fees: $34.90 (USD)

Total Room Cost: $218.90 (USD)

I think thats pretty good (thursday to saturday) cheapest online price i found was 378$ so only 60% of it isn't bad i think.

Thx

• 2 weeks later...

I want to correct something I wrote in post #3 of this thread.

If you bid 4* or 3.5* you'll be in Santa Monica. If you bid 3* or lower you might be in any part of the zone.

Not true. You can win a 3.5* hotel that's in the in the Santa Monica part of the zone. badman01 did!

My apologies.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]