Priceline Hotel: Strategy for Rome?

besj
By besj,
in

When would be the best time to bid for a hotel in central Rome? I have just now booked two non-refundable flight tickets with Ryanair from Sweden to Rome-Ciampino. They are only USD 60 per person return so that is not a major problem in case of cancelling the trip.

I have booked back up hotel room ( a three star central) thorugh www.venere.com that can be canceled a week in advance. I would however prefer a luxury central hotel in Rome. When do you think is the righht time for bidding?

I know there is no simple answer but please give your ideas...

Actually the answer is simple: Bid as soon as your plans are firm (which it sounds as if they are) but keep your bids within the low-end of the range. Bidding with time on your hands is always prefered to last minute and no time for 72 hour waiting periods.

If you'd like further help please provide the date(s) of travel.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yes, the 3* hotel I booked was not really that fantastic. It was cheap and OK for the money but nothing more. Looking at a central 4* or 5* at a low price would be better. It is anyway always interesting to try to catch a real bargain...

• 5 months later...

There may or may not be inventory at this time for Rome.

First start by looking for a Rome hotel that you think you would be willing to stay in, and find out what that price is. You might consider booking this as a backup, because September is high season in Rome.

Then look at some of the 4* and 5* hotels that are either on the list here, or that Priceline offers in vacation packages. Find out what the rates are for your dates on the web site. I'd recommend starting a bid at 50% of the web site rate, but that's just a guess.

I really don't like the zone map for Central Rome or the Vatican, and I wouldn't be happy with a lot of the locations offered. I decided I wasn't willing to risk my trip with a less than desirable location, particularly as I wouldn't likely save any money. You probably have a better chance of getting a good location if you stick to 5* only. Just my opinion.

I recently stayed at this simple 3* hotel in Rome - http://www.hoteljulia.it . The advantages - an excellent location, a quiet street, friendly staff, and a good included breakfast. The disadvantages - small room (which can also happen with Priceline). On the Fodors.com forums there is frequent discussion of hotels in the historical center of Rome, so you might like to take a look there. Two popular hotels right now on that forum are Albergo del Senato and Teatropace.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]