Hotwire Hotel: 3* Los Angeles (East Los Angeles County) Holiday West Covina

Peter Pan
By Peter Pan,
in

Well, I got it at $64.

And no, the name of the hotel isn't misspelled, it is Holiday West Covina (apparently formerly Holiday Inn West Covina)

Amenities:

Complimentary Breakfast, Fitness Center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Laundry Facilities, High-speed Internet Access

=================

However here is the issue: The reviews for this hotel are very disappointing on Trip Advisor, indicating to be well below the 3* rating and based on this info I'm going to avoid this place and use my backup plan which is Sheraton Fairplex booked at a regular rate.

Also, Hotwire confirmation is showing a Holiday Inn logo however I've contacted IC Hotels and they have confirmed this location is no longer a Holiday Inn branded hotel (i.e. It was till recently). Is there any chance I can dispute this with Hotwire based on the terrible reviews and the fact that it's not actually a Holiday Inn hotel anymore unlike what they are indicating in their confirmation page?

I got an email from Hotwire a few days ago regarding a Hotwire Express customer numer which is supposed to put me through a special support team from 8 AM to 8 PM EST so I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow. Anyone know what's the story with this Hotwire Express?

Damn, a bad start to a holiday weekend already! :)

what is the exact hotel name given on the confirmation page?

Also, make sure all amenities are available for your dates of travel, if any are missing your may be eligible for hot dollars towards a future purchase. You may argue that this hotel was rated 3* as a Holiday Inn, but has since losts its franchise, its rating should be reviewed.

That's a good strategy! I will raise the issue of the rating with them. The hotel's name on the confirmation page reads: Holiday West Covina however where there is usually the logo of the hotel chain it is showing the logo of the Holiday Inn.

I'm really ticked off, I was almost certain I was getting the Ayers Suites which is an excellent hotel in the same zone with the exact same amenities and even the same retail price! :)

I think dahammer's approach is the right one... challenge the star rating, claiming that it wasn't worth 3* previously, and certainly isn't now that they've lost the Holiday Inn brand (and also point them in the direct of the reviews as well as any other locations where you can show this property is rated less than 3 stars, in addition to letting them know that most of the major booking channels are no longer working with this property since losing the Holiday Inn flag).

I'd also check to see if all the amenities are present... but i can't even find their website to check this info.

The Hotwire Express is a new customer service division to provide better service to their better customers (20+ reservations per year from the info i was given, iirc)... while HOTWIRE's customer service is usually pretty good to begin with, i guess we'll see from your experience if this divsion is a little more 'empowered' to handle a situation such as the above.

Let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Success my friends! :)

I called the number provided in the Hotwire Express welcome email and got through in less than a minute. No mention of Hotwire Express so not sure I was actually connected to a regular CSR or the new service.

In any case I explained the situation emphasizing these points:

1- The poor reviews on Trip Advisor.

2- The fact that the hotel was rated 3* when it was a Holiday Inn branded hotel.

4- The fact that the hotel was showing a Holiday Inn logo in my confirmation while it was NOT one.

3- The fact that I did NOT get a brand name hotel despite Hotiwre's "You'll always get instant confirmation at a brand-name hotel." showed on the booking page before you pay.

The CSR did her own research and came back telling me that she could offer me $50 Hotwire bucks which I was prepared to hear and refused outright. She then proceeded to explain that she will go ahead and cancel the booking however her "system" will not allow her to do that unless she books me to another hotel right then and there. Seemed kinda odd however I had already done my research and accepted the conditions set forth and got a 2.5* which I will post in its own separate Hotwire Hotel thread. I also pointed out that they should review this hotel's rating and condition further and she agreed to forward the case to the responsible department to get it reevaluated.

Not bad at all and I came out happy. Although the 2.5* is not much to write home about it appears to be newly renovated and has better reviews and well, costs almost 1/3 less too!

Bottom line I guess the board came up ahead as my experience netted us 2 new additions to the HW list though I would put a warning next to the 3* as it will probably change ratings after they review it. :)

Thanks again for your help.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]