LAX Los Angeles Fullsize Hertz

TRAVELOFTEN
By TRAVELOFTEN,
in

Anybody know recent successful winning bids for LAX? I'm looking for either mid-size, standard, or full size vehicle. Basically whatever the cheapest I can get without going economy or compact as those are a bit too small for my liking. I'll be renting the car for a week, not sure if that entitles me to any better deals.

Where should I start bidding for each category? I will book through your PRICELINE links for the help!

The prices on the Car Rental Checker are absolutely insane. Not even close to the $7-15 per day bids I've seen here getting accepted.

Dates are February 18th through February 26th.

I tried $17 full size, $15 standard, and $15 mid-sized. All of those were declined as of tonight. How are people getting LAX for such good deals?

Prices are a function of supply and demand... this is a holiday week for many school kids and families take vacations, thus increasing the demand for cars, which in turn has companies raise their prices.

What is the best rate you've found for a car rental this trip?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Prices are a function of supply and demand... this is a holiday week for many school kids and families take vacations, thus increasing the demand for cars, which in turn has companies raise their prices.

What is the best rate you've found for a car rental this trip?

Well just going on the individual car company websites they are ridiculous. Like $35+ a day for mid-size and standard cars.

What Holiday is that week? I was unaware there was a full week long holiday that would have kids and families traveling. I only knew about Presidents Day which passes before I get there.

It is President's Week... my daughter has off from school all that week, starting from 2/16. It's also possible that something else is happening during this timeframe.

Digging a little deeper the issue appears to be your arrival day, 2/18. If you can delay your rental from one day and pick up the car on 2/19 you'll see rates drop significantly... is this an option? (if not could you make your plans work to rent a car for one day, 2/18, then return to the airport and rent a new car (this may end up being thru a different rental company) for the balance of your trip (2/19-2/26))?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

It is President's Week... my daughter has off from school all that week, starting from 2/16. It's also possible that something else is happening during this timeframe.

Digging a little deeper the issue appears to be your arrival day, 2/18. If you can delay your rental from one day and pick up the car on 2/19 you'll see rates drop significantly... is this an option? (if not could you make your plans work to rent a car for one day, 2/18, then return to the airport and rent a new car (this may end up being thru a different rental company) for the balance of your trip (2/19-2/26))?

Hmmmm I definitely need a rental car that first day on 2/18 or I'd be stuck sitting at an airport....LOL. I guess I could rent for one day and then return to the airport on the 19th and rent a new car for the remainder of the trip. I did look on Hotwire and checked 19th-26th and saw its half the price! I wonder why the 18th has such inflated numbers!

There's no way of paying a little extra for the 18th and getting the remainder of the days for the significantly less price? What do you recommend I do here? I'd pay a little more for the 18th if it avoids the hassle of having to return the car the following day and rent a new one. But, if thats not possible, then I guess I'd have to rent for one day, return, and then rent again.

Do you think I could try renting the car via Priceline from the 19th-26th. Once my bid/offer is accepted and it shows me which company accepted it, call that direct location at LAX and say I need to add the 18th also. Maybe I can talk them into the same rate as the one they accepted for the 19th-26th or a bit more for that one day?

Also, if I do book 19th-26th via Priceline, where should I start bidding for Full Size, Standard, or Mid-Size? I definitely want one of those three categories. Remember, I tried $17 full size, $15 standard, and $15 mid-sized and got declined but that was when I had the 18th in there also.

Do you think I could try renting the car via PRICELINE from the 19th-26th. Once my bid/offer is accepted and it shows me which company accepted it, call that direct location at LAX and say I need to add the 18th also. Maybe I can talk them into the same rate as the one they accepted for the 19th-26th or a bit more for that one day?
They may allow you to begin your rental at the prevailing rate, but the chances of them giving you the same rate as your PRICELINE win i would put at less than 1%.

I'd start by bidding $15 for the highest car class, $14 for the next lower class, and $13, for the next car class. If that is rejected wait 24 hours and increase each bid by $2.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases. (and please be sure to not click the links in any emails sent reminding you that you're eligible to bid again)

Good luck... keep us updated and let us know how it goes.

Well, I went ahead and got the car booked for the 19th-26th. Now I just need to figure out the 18th. I probably could have started my offer lower but just wanted to go ahead and get it done! Don't mind paying $17 a day for full size.

Rental Company: Hertz

Your Offer Price: $17.00 (per day)

Total Rental Days: 7 days

Subtotal: $119.00

Taxes and Fees: $55.18

Total Charges: $174.18

Lowest Published Price: $333.16

Total Savings:* $158.98 (You saved 48%)

Thoughts on what to do now for the 18th?

I have tried but its saying it cannot locate any cars. Does not even give me the option to raise a bid or tell me if its was accepted or declined.

When you go to Hertz.com, Avis.com, or Budget.com they all show LAX as being sold out on the 18th! I'm not sure what to do at all. I'd obviously like to keep my flights and everything booked the way I have them but if I can't get a car then I'm screwed and have no option but to change the flight to a day later since I already have the 19th-26th car taken care of.

If you go to PRICELINE, thru their "retail car rentals" there is an economy car thru Ace for the nite of 2/18 (noon to noon) for $45 ($60 'all-in') as well as higher rates for more 'name brand' companies... certainly this would be cheaper than the cost involved in changing your flights (as would getting an airport hotel for one nite)

If you go to PRICELINE, thru their "retail car rentals" there is an economy car thru Ace for the nite of 2/18 (noon to noon) for $45 ($60 'all-in') as well as higher rates for more 'name brand' companies... certainly this would be cheaper than the cost involved in changing your flights (as would getting an airport hotel for one nite)

Thanks for the reply and for getting the title of this thread cleared up so people can see my winning bid. I saw the one through Ace, just didn't know anything about them. Do you know anything about Ace or anyone thats rented from them? I also noticed their rental location is not actually at LAX. That means I would have to take a shuttle to it, pickup the car, then the following day drop the car off, take a shuttle back to the airport, and then get over to where Hertz is to pick up the other car for the remainder of the trip. Sounds like an aggrivation but I guess at the end of the day its not too bad.

It's only $20 to change my flight to the 19th, so that is definitely the cheapest option. I just don't really want to lose an entire day and night from my LA trip.

Is it possible that maybe over the next few days Priceline may get more cars or selection available or you think I'm pretty much stuck taking the Ace car for the one day or changing a flight?

Thru PRICELINE FOX is $59/day ($79 all-in).

These retail reservations thru PRICELINE should be (always dobulecheck the terms during the checkout process) so you can reserve one and try to better the deal in the days ahead.

Not sure what time you selected to pick up your car on the 19th, but you could also fly in on the 18th, stay at an airport hotel, then start your vacation fresh the morning of the 19h, already being in Los Angeles.

I have the rental car to be picked up on the 19th at 12:30pm as of now. I wouldn't want to stay in a hotel at the airport, thats just as bad as losing the whole day/night anyways. Might as well fly in the next morning and avoid the hotel costs.

I'm going to try today to get a rental for the 18th from 12:30pm until 12:30pm the 19th, when the other rental is available. If I don't find anything today, I'll just change the flight. If you guys hear or find anything, please let me know!

HOTWIRE still has that SUV for one day. It's $59.36 now, or $82.87 with tax/fees. Same price as the Fox rental but you'd get a better known brand name.

Enterprise has an outlet near the airport where rates are much cheaper than at the airport. You can rent an intermediate for one day there for $44.54, or $48.44 with fees. The same intermediate rented at Enterprises's airport location would be $93.27, or $124.50 with tax/fee. More than double the price!

It's the Enterprise at 800 South La Brea in Inglewood. Enterprise website says 1.6 miles from LAX. I think you'd have to take a cab from LAX to Enterprise, and possibly back. Enterprise will pick customers up within a radius but I think their near airport locations aren't allowed to pick at the airport. Best to check with Enterprise for details. Even after cabfare this would be less than the Hotwire SUV.

Good luck!

I'm trying to get the rental car from the Enterprise location that Colfax suggested. I just tried calling to see exactly how far from the airport they are and if they have a shuttle service. Nobody answered so I will try again shortly. I also have a hotel booked 2 miles from LAX that has a shuttle service as a backup plan incase I don't get a car. My preference would be to book the car from the Enterprise thats only 1 mile from airport. Even if I had to take a cab, it should be rather cheap.

Well, I tried the location Colfax suggested and they will not let me rent a car because I only have a debit card. They said the airport location takes debit cards but their "local location" will only take credit cards. I don't own a credit card so that option did not work. Makes absolutely no sense behind that policy and will definitely make me never rent from Enterprise.

I went ahead and got a hotel booked 1 mile from LAX (the hotel has shuttle service to and from the airport so I won't have to worry about that) for Wednesday, the 18th instead of a rental car. Thursday morning I'll take the shuttle back to the airport to Hertz and pickup my car for the remainder of trip.

Just wanted to update everybody so you know this thread is officially done! Thanks for the help. Now back over to my Vegas thread about hotel.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]