Hotwire Hotel: 3.5* Detroit (Novi-Farmington Hills) Holiday Inn Farmington Hills

twinmama
By twinmama,
in

My family of four, (me, husband + 3.5 year old twins) are travelling to the Detroit area in Feb (need hotel 2/8-12) for medical care for my daughter. Our appointments are all at Children's in downtown.

We'd rather stay in a suburb near by, hopefully near a mall type area with lots of food options, maybe a movie theater, etc.

I don't know the Detroit area at all so I'm not sure where to begin my search.

Also, we'd love to stay at a Residence Inn type place, ideally with a pool. HOTWIRE has been good to me in the past in other cities, though I'm willing to try PRICELINE if that will net better results, LOL!

Thanks for the help!

Katie

Katie:

Would you be interested in the Livonia area? You could take I-96 into downtown. If this area would work for you, I have some bidding history that might help you. Get back with me,,

I typically use priceline because I can narrow down the choices and prices in the Livonia area because we stay over there often. (my daughter lives in the area)

Cheryl

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I'll save more specific advice for once you get back to nick5 regarding the zones, but i'll add that:

1) if you're looking for a specific type of hotel (ie- all-suite property lihe Residence Inn) you may be better off with HOTWIRE if you're abe to identify the property before your purchase vs. PRICELINE where there is no way to target a specific property within the zone

2) PRICELINE only guarantees double occupancy so you could get a room with only one bed in it... HOTWIRE allows you to search for up to quad occupancy

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck with docs! :)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'll add this (and nick5 can comment regarding the area)...

HOTWIRE has a 2.5* in Dearborn for $62/nite with the following icons:

Suite, Smoke Free Rooms, Fitness Center, Pool(s), Business Center, Laundry Facilities, High-speed Internet Access, Kitchenette

This is a match for the Towneplace Suites Deaborn so that would be our best guess. Assuming correct, it appears to be about 10 miles (20 minutes) to Detroit Hospital (doublecheck on your own).

NOTE this property's pool is outdoor so probably won't be open in Februarary... not sure if that's a dealbreaker for you or not... but it appears to be about a mile or so from Fairline Town Center which looks like a pretty decent sized mall.

Would this work well for you?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'm definitely open to whatever area, within reason. We have friends who live in Ann Arbor we could stay with, but that's a bit too far. :)

We'd just like something with decent entertainment (mall area, etc), and is safe. we live in the suburbs of Seattle, so we're comfortable with suburbia. :)

ETA: Thereuare, an outdoor pool wouldn't be a deal breaker necessarily but we'd much prefer indoor. :o Also, I just looked again and that hotel that you mentioned doesn't come up when I have the kids in the reservation (occupancy 4).

ETA: Thereuare, an outdoor pool wouldn't be a deal breaker necessarily but we'd much prefer indoor. :) Also, I just looked again and that hotel that you mentioned doesn't come up when I have the kids in the reservation (occupancy 4).

I'll give you some ideas a bit later in the day as off to work shortly. But with Priceline (I'm not sure about Hotwire) but they only guarantee occupancy 2. There are a few places, like Chicago, that will have rooms that only will hold 2. It has never been a problem anywhere I have stayed in Detroit suburbs.

Dearborn area is a good choice location wise to downtown and it has a Mall near by. Also this area is close to Greenville Village which has an IMAX. Some driving areas are pretty downtrodden but drive down a few more blocks and there are homes that start in half million dollar range. Just depend on where you are heading. I'd have to look more to see what might be narrowed down with a priceline bid. And Thereuare could give you an idea what Hotwire offers. So let us know if you think this is an area you would like to stay in.

So that being said, take a look at http://www.marriott.com/hotels/hotel-infor...rriott-livonia/ as that is the only 3.5* winning bid coming up in the Livonia area (so far) and it is connected to a Mall. I have not been in the Mall so can not comment on that. But this hotel is on 6 Mile Road which is less traffic, but is close to 7 and 8 mile which has everything.. including movie place. I'm thinking this property could be had for around 50-60 on bidding. Thereuare is better at bidding advice. If you decided to go 3*, it is not narrowed down as much as there are 3 properties I have won at that level. All are acceptable to me. Courtyard, is a bit older but very clean, right next door to Marriott. http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/detl...etroit-livonia/ The other 3* that is also right across the street is Radisson http://www.radisson.com/livoniami which I don't recall when I have stayed there,, but it gets good reviews. These typically receive winning bids in the 40-50 dollar range. The last 3* that might come up is Hyatt Place (a personal favorite but I have not been able to get a winning bid since they moved it up from a 2.5* to a 3*) http://detroitlivonia.place.hyatt.com/hyat...place/index.jsp It's parking area is connected to the Movie complex and there are tons of nearby restaurants and stores. Really really nice area to be in, but traffic can be high at times. But if you decided Liviona area,, do not confuse it with Novi bidding area. Once again, Thereuare is good at helping with bidding.

Get back with Better Bidding as this is absolutely the best place to get help and learn info about Priceline and Hotwire. IF you do decide to bid, please use one of the links provided in Thereuare's post as it helps support the board here. Thereuare does an outstanding job keeping this board current, organized, and running smooth.

Cheryl

opps off to work,, who wanted to be on time anyway? good thing I'm the boss!! LOL

I'm fairly certain that the Deaborn property showed when searching quad occupancy last nite, but i don't see it now either when searching for quad occupancy. Given the age of your children i would probably take the risk (booking double occupancy even though i'd be quad), even though the hotel website lists 'maximum occpancy 3' there is one Queen bed and a sofabed in the room, so assuming your children could sleep on the sofabed together i would think it would be fine... but obviously a risk you'll have to decide for yourself if you're willing to accept.

Alternately, there is currently a 3.5* suite hotel showing in Novi-Farmington Hills for $76/nite which appears to be a match for the Holiday Inn Hotel and Suites Farmington Hills - Novi... i'm not sure what is around this area (although one review said there are restaurants nearby and shopping 'a few miles' away) but pics at the hotel website indicate that the pool is indoors. This would be a bit further away as it's 30 minutes to the Detroit Chlldren's Hospital.

Let us know what you decide and/or if we can be of further help.

Livonia seems like it would be a fine place to stay. Is the Novi area a bad area to consider? The Hyatt Place hotel seems like it would be fantastic for our needs!

Nothing wrong with Novi area. It is good too. I have stayed there on a few priceline wins but it was hard to predict possible wins. Now,, as to Hyatt yes, we like it because it includes breakfast. But there is no way to know which of the 3 properties you might win if you do priceline. So, if you decided to do priceline, Livonia area, I listed the 3 - 3* which are Hyatt, Courtyard or Radisson that more than likely would be the 3* wins. I would start out at 40.00, then up it by 2.00 each 24 hour period. I"m thinking you will get a hit at 42.00 - 46.00 range, unless there is something big going on in the area. Don't bid over 56 dollars because there are other areas, for a 3* that you could get. The 3.5* Marriott is the only one we know of so far in that area, so it is a good chance for a win if you do 3.5*, Livonia. Start at 45.00 for that property. Please use the links provided in Thereuare's postings. If your not sure on bidding, ask Thereuare. Don't use rebid zones unless you really know what you are doing.

Good luck, and praying your Hospital stay has a happy outcome.

Cheryl

PS, if you are interested in Novi area, I can look it over better. It has nice mall area and stores too.

I think we'll probably use Hotwire as we can narrow down specifically the features we're looking for. I *think* I can get the Hyatt Place for $56/night (2.5*, suite, non-smoking, fitness, business center, laundry, internet & kitchenettes) -- does that seem right to you? Thereuare, care to chime in? (this is in the Livonia area)

There's a 3.5* suite hotel in the Novi/Farmington Hills area, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what it is. There's nothing on the Radisson website about hotel in this area.

I *think* I can get the Hyatt Place for $56/night (2.5*, suite, non-smoking, fitness, business center, laundry, internet & kitchenettes) -- does that seem right to you? Thereuare, care to chime in? (this is in the Livonia area)
The Hyatt Place is currently rated 3* so i don't think that is the hotel you're seeing here... i think the TownePlace Suites Livonia is more likely and that would be my best guess.
There's a 3.5* suite hotel in the Novi/Farmington Hills area, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what it is. There's nothing on the Radisson website about hotel in this area.

From my post above (click the pink arrow near the top of the quote box to be take to the original post above:

Alternately, there is currently a 3.5* suite hotel showing in Novi-Farmington Hills for $76/nite which appears to be a match for the Holiday Inn Hotel and Suites Farmington Hills - Novi... i'm not sure what is around this area (although one review said there are restaurants nearby and shopping 'a few miles' away) but pics at the hotel website indicate that the pool is indoors. This would be a bit further away as it's 30 minutes to the Detroit Chlldren's Hospital.

The Hyatt Place is currently rated 3* so i don't think that is the hotel you're seeing here... i think the TownePlace Suites Livonia is more likely and that would be my best guess.
Ok, I'm all confused now. Because on the Hotwire list, 2.5* hotel is AmeriSuites [now the Hyatt Place]. I don't see TownePlace Suites Livonia?
How do you come up with the Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Farmington Hills? The only 3.5* on the list is the Radisson one, which I can't find on the Radisson website (thus my confusion).

I think I'm just considering too many options and confusing myself!! :)

If you read the comments at the top of the Hotel List, the hotels listed are only those reported to the board... hotels are added all the time, so the hotel list can never, and should never, be considered 'complete' and the only possibilities in a given zone. As well, some areas aren't bid/purchased very often and obviously in such areas the data will be 'less complete' than in other areas.

Whenever we get a request that doesn't fit previously reports in the zone we begin to research it to try to figure it out, based upon star rating, amenities, and any other clues offered by HOTWIRE. In the case of the Holiday Inn, the vacation packages product shows the amenities above to be associated with the Holiday Inn is what made that determination.

I think we'll probably use Hotwire as we can narrow down specifically the features we're looking for. I *think* I can get the Hyatt Place for $56/night (2.5*, suite, non-smoking, fitness, business center, laundry, internet & kitchenettes) -- does that seem right to you? Thereuare, care to chime in? (this is in the Livonia area)

If you are looking at star ratings the Hotels give themselves, those do not match the star ratings that PRICELINE and HOTWIRE give the properties. Even Hotwire and Priceline have different rating systems. One will give a 2.5* the other a 3*. So if that is what you are trying to match up, don't. <G> We are not here to confuse you but help. Just know, Hotwire or Priceline, you can always get a wildcard and while we might help narrow things down, you have to know, once you book at these cut rates, it is a go. No changes allowed. If you get a surprise and are not happy, you can whine a little bit , then you have to use your big girl voice and put a smile back on. <G>

Cheryl

I think I'm just considering too many options and confusing myself!! :)

Not to confuse you more, but have you considered using Orbitz or something like that. Where you will know exactly which place you are getting?

I found one in Dearborn that sounds like it fits your needs for 77.00 a night. It's a Best Western Greenfield Inn. Read the October review.

You are only 11 miles away, which is less than an half hour of driving. Sounds like the area has much to offer that you were looking for. Best Western Greenfield

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you received the hotel you were hoping for and that you're pleased with the results... we're happy to have helped and to know that it all worked out well.

Thank you for sharing your results wtih the board and using our HOTWIRE link to begin your purchase.

Enjoy your stay and good luck with the doctors :)

It will be a really nice area for you and your family. Thank you for posting your results and it was fun to be able to help you. There are 3 different exits in that area that have a many options for eating and entertainment. My daugher use to live in Northville, which has an old fashion downtown feel with many local shops. IF the weather is good, it is a fun place to visit. Ask at the hotel how to get to downtown Northville. The kids would like this place and the food is really good too. It think it would be about 8 miles or so.

Rebecca's Family Restaurant & Ice Cream Parlor

134 N. Center Street Northville, MI

Rebecca's is a family-friendly restaurant and ice cream parlor that has been voted #1 Family Restaurant in Northville 3 years in a row. Opened in 1931, Rebecca's was once known as the very popular Cloverdale Dairy. This location has been serving the Northville Community for over 70 years. It's a place where old traditions are continued and new ones begin.

We serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner; homemade soups, daily specials, sweet potato fries, new low-carb multi grain pancakes, omelets, spinach pie, wraps, melts,large salad selection, taco's, hand-battered fish-n-chips, homemade rice pudding, carrot cake, smoothies, Sanders hot Fudge cream puffs, and much more. We have something for everyone at Rececca's. Come on in and check out our running trains, antiques and memorbelia.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]