Priceline Hotel: 3.5* Los Angeles (Beverly Hills-West Hollywood) Crowne Plaza

voton
By voton,
in

I'm planning on going to LA on April 10 for 2 nights. I've never been there so I'm not sure which area I should bid on, theres so many on priceline and I dont want to get stuck in a bad area. I've done some research and it seems like West Hollywood is the best area, is that correct or is downtown LA the best? I definitely dont want to be in a shady or dangerous area, or too far away from the tourist attractions. I would like to spend under 100. Any suggestions on which zones I should try? Is it too early to bid now?

Thanks

If your travel dates are firm--Priceline reservations are nonchangeable and nonrefundable--then it's not too early to bid for April dates.

LA's attractions are spread out and there's no way you can see everything in two days. Beverly Hills-West Hollywood zone is a good choice for being safe and relatively central, but depending on what you plan to do in LA some other zones could work too, for less money. If you want to stay near the ocean, for example, or spend a day at Universal Studios, then Santa Monica or Burbank-Glendale zones might be better. Do you have any sense yet of what you want to see while you're in LA?

Also, most LA hotels rated 2.5* or higher charge for parking. Beverly Hills-West Hollywood, Hollywood, and Downtown zones have some of the highest parking rates, like $20-40/night, and parking isn't included in your Priceline rate. Is your $100/night budget with or without parking?

I'm not sure about what I want to see, I'll just try to see as much as I can in the two days, I'm still looking up all the attractions. I dont think I want to do universal studios, what are my other options? I'd like to see Hollywood Blvd. I'm trying to avoid renting a car, but from what I've read, its hard to do anything without one.

How are you getting to LA? Plane, train, getting a ride? If you're flying in, to which airport?

I am flying into LAX early morning April 10, and im taking a cruise April 12 that leaves from LA, I realize I wont see everything, but I just want to see as much as I can. I'm trying to avoid renting a car because theres extra charges for dropping it off at a different location, also im 21 so they are charging me some insane young driver fees. I'd like to not spend too much on a hotel. I see HOTWIRE with a 3.5 star hotel in Glendale - Burbank - Universal City Area for 79 and 3.5 star hotel in Downtown for 83, im not sure if those are deals worth taking, I guess I can get a better deal on PRICELINE, but am clueless about the different areas. what would you recommend? my biggest concern is not being in a shady area and being walking distance or being able to the some sort of public transportation to the main attractions.

If you're willing to spend near your $100 limit you might get a 4* in Hollywood---the Renaissance or Roosevelt Hotel. Those would be good base locations for touring Hollywood. The Metro train is short walking distance of those hotels. It's a clean, safe train you can take Downtown if you go there.

Or possibly a 3* in Hollywood for less than that--$60's or 70's? (I haven't checked rates yet.)

If you've never been to LA you ought to take one of those corny bus tours of the old movie star houses and etc. There are several choices, different lengths, different themes. Most of them originate in Hollywood, so it's convenient again. You'll see a lot of interesting places you'd never find touring on your own, especially without a car.

From Hollywood to WeHo or Bev Hills areas you'd have to take a bus or cab. The train doesn't connect those areas.

And you'll need to figuree out transpotation from LAX to the hotel. The train doesn't go direct to LAX. A cab is quickest but expensive, or a shared shuttle is what many use.

Does that sound like an overall plan that could work? Is one bed enough if you should get that?

I see HOTWIRE with a 3.5 star hotel in Glendale - Burbank - Universal City Area for 79 and 3.5 star hotel in Downtown for 83, im not sure if those are deals worth taking
Glendale-Burbank would be out of the way. The Downtown hotels are near the Metro train too, and those could be a Plan B if you don't get something in Hollywood. A 4* Downtown can cost quite a bit less than a 4* in Hollywood.

I've never been to LA at all, so it sounds like I should focus on staying in Hollywood and seeing most of the sights there. As far as getting from the airport to the hotel, I am most likely going to take the shuttle, I think its $16 each, I'm not sure how much a taxi is. Are all of the 3, 3.5, and 4 star hotels on Priceline in the Hollywood zone in a safe area? Should I just bid on Hollywood rather than west Hollywood? What price should I start bidding at?

I also need to figure out transportation from the hotel to the cruise pier but that will most likely be a taxi.

Since I have alot of time left, I tried bidding today with the 4 rebid zones, i went up to 65 and was rejected. I dont think I'll be able to get a hollywood 4 star for less than 100. Would you advise that I keep trying every day or should I add a 3 star in hollywood?

I was speaking in general terms and hadn't checked rates yet when I suggested bidding 4* in Hollywood. Now I've checked and I don't think it looks good for a 4* under $100. The Renaissance is $299 and the Roosevelt $319. All that HOTWIRE offers in their new Hollywood zone a 2.5* for $114. Your stay is Friday and Saturday nights, which can be more expensive in Hollywood zone. It could take $100-150 to win a 4* on Priceline, if it's available at all.

If you can win a Hollywood 4* for $100 that's a very good deal for these dates. You've only bid to $65, so I'd suggest bidding higher if you're willing.

If you can't win a Hollywood 4* for $100, or you don't want to spend that much, I'd suggest a couple alternatives ahead of bidding 3* in Hollywood.

The Hollywood Heights Hotel is the only reported 3* in Hollywood. You might win that in the $60-80 range (just guessing), but there are some other potential 3* hotels, unreported so far, that wouldn't be within easy walking distance of Hollywood Blvd, or might be in a borderline area from a safety standpoint.

I think I'd head for Beverly Hills/West Hollywood zone ahead of 3* in Hollywood. You'd take a shared shuttle from the airport, just like to Hollywood. You'd have to take a cab or bus from your BH/WH hotel to Hollywood, but it's really not far. Bidding 4* Downtown is another option, but Downtown is kind of dead on weekends, so I think I'd favor Beverly Hills/WeHo area.

Your thoughts? I might not get back to you until tomorrow but you've got lots of time for this. And as always comments and opinions from others are welcome.

Thanks for all your help, I went up to 78 for now in the West Hollywood zone for 4* and was rejected, since I have alot of time to keep trying what kind of strategy would you suggest? Should I keep bidding every day starting around 75 and increaseing by 2 or 3? I dont mind being downtown, but after looking at the hotel list it seems like I'll probably get the Westin, which supposedely gives horrible rooms to people who book through PRICELINE.

Thanks for all your help, I went up to 78 for now in the West Hollywood zone for 4* and was rejected, since I have alot of time to keep trying what kind of strategy would you suggest? Should I keep bidding every day starting around 75 and increaseing by 2 or 3? I dont mind being downtown, but after looking at the hotel list it seems like I'll probably get the Westin, which supposedely gives horrible rooms to people who book through PRICELINE.

How about the 3.5* hotels in Hollywood and West Hollyood?

If location is as important to you as it appears to be from reading thru this thread, i would sooner be trying up to your maximum bid in your prefered zone before trying for a lower price in one of the alternate zones. Saving $20 on a hotel room can easily be wiped out if it requires a $10 cab ride each day (RT = $20), not to mention the inconvenience factor.

Now that you've received some good info from Colfax regarding the area, convenience, transportation costs, I think you should rank your priorities and determine your priorities between price, location, and star rating... once you have that in place it will be much easier to determine a systematic bidding strategy, rather than trying a little of this and then a little of that, which i think is the current method as you're learning more and more about the area.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

That makes sense, after looking at prices, the hotel rates are way too expensive, so I should definetely up my priceline bids.

From what colfax says, it looks like I need to stick to Hollywood and West Hollywood, I'd like to be within walking distance of tourist attractions.

Obviously 4* is preferred, but 3.5* or 3* is fine. The Hollywood Heights hotel woudl be great as a 3* but I'm worried about getting a dump in an unsafe area. I tried going through the lists of 3.5* and 3* and I dont see anything other than Hollywood Heights Hotel. I can start bidding again tomorrow night so any help with a strategy would be really appreciated. Id like to keep it to 100 including taxes, please let me know if thats unreasonable.

So to confirm, you want to try for a 4* in the Hollywood or (Beverly Hills-West Hollywood) zones up to your maximum bid, if that is rejected try for a 3.5*... is that correct?

Also, what is your maximum bid amount (before fees and taxes)

Please confirm the above and we'll suggest as strategy for you to follow.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

At the 4* leve you have FOUR re-bid zones available.... only TWO at the 3.5* level. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

(NOTE: 're-bid zone1' is not the same as priceline's Zone1, 're-bid zone2' is not the same as priceline's Zone2, etc, etc)

Select 4* Hollywood and (Beverly Hills-West Hollywood)...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90.

If the above is rejected and you then want to try for a 3.5*, close the previous browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* Hollywood

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $60, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* (Beverly Hills-West Hollywood)...

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $60, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* Hollywood and re-bid zone2

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $70, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* (Beverly Hills-West Hollywood) and re-bid zone2...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $70, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* Hollywood and (Beverly Hills-West Hollywood)...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $80, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* Select 3.5* Hollywood and (Beverly Hills-West Hollywood) and re-bid zone2...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $90

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the help with the strategy, I tried bidding now but its saying I had the same request, so I guess I have to wait a little bit more, I'm not sure exactly what time I bid before, so I guess I'll wait until tomorrow morning. I'll update with the results.

If you followed the strategy as posted none of the bids should have been kicked out as a duplicate.

Did you get the duplicate bid message during the 4* bidding or the 3.5* bidding? (do you recall after which bid??) What did you use as your re-bid zones at each step? (this is usually where a mistake is made)

You have to wait 24 hours from your last rejected bid to try again.

Tried the strategy and rejected. I changed the 3.5 star final bids to 82 and 87, since I still have some time to go. when I bid 82 it said i could increase by 22 and win, I chose not to at this point. Should I try the exact same thing tomorrow or is that pointless?

You could try every 24 hours as if rates are going to change it's got to happen sometime, but you may get frustrated with your rejections, and i would think at this point i think every 3-4 days would be sufficient.

Please remember to use our PRICELINE link to begin your bidding (and not the links in any emails priceline sends you that you're eligible to bid again)

Good luck and keep us updated.

I bid again and won the Crowne Plaza Beverly Hills 3.5 Star for $92. Seems like a good hotel with good reviews, but it's a bit out of the way to get to the Hollywood sights. Would it be better to take Super Shuttle to the hotel or a taxi? Is there any quick way to get to the Hollywood Walk of Fame area ? I'd like to avoid cabs.

Congratulations on your win!

I'll leave it up to somebody who knows the area better than i do to give you advice regarding best routes and taxis vs. shuttles.

Thank you for sharing you results with the board and using our PRICELINE link to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay.

Congratulations, voton. The Crowne Plaza's best rate is $225.18 so you got a very good deal at $92.

Crowne Plaza's website says a cab from LAX to the hotel is about $35. A shared shuttle will be about half that.

The Crowne Plaza is six miles from Hollywood Walk of Fame. Too far for most people to walk, so a cab might be your best bet, even though you said you prefer not to take cabs. Roundtrip cabfare will be less than you'd pay to rent a car for a day, plus the 21-25 year old surcharge, plus $20/day parking at the Crowne Plaza, plus pay parking again in Hollywood. You can take a bus to Hollywood if you prefer. The concierge at the Crowne Plaza can help with specific details, and also help you arrange a bus tour of Hollywood and Beverly Hills, if you decide to do that.

If you like deli food try Factor's across the street from the Crowne Plaza, on Pico. You won't go away hungry. Have a good trip!

I called Super Shuttle and the shuttle is 16 dollars each so we'll only save 3 dollars over a cab. If I do rent a car, is there on street parking anywhere in hollywood or will I have to park in a lot? I can get a car for about 30 dollars a day on priceline including the 21-25 surcharge

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]