Victoria, BC Hotel Deals in May and summer months

WillTravel
By WillTravel,
in

I didn't take full notes, but I made multiple failed bids for all the weekends in May (except a stay from May 2-4 for which I failed with a 1-star at $19), going up to $30 for a 3* and $25 for a 1*. It looks like my $19 deal of a few weeks ago is not going to happen again anytime soon. But this is somewhat to be expected - Victoria starts getting a lot of tourists around May and through the summer, and hotel rooms often double in price (conventional summer prices compared to conventional winter prices). May 17-19 is the Victoria Day long weekend in Canada, and May 24-26 is the Memorial Day long weekend and attracts a lot of American visitors.

Best May conventional rates (to my knowledge):

$54.99 Canadian at Paul's Motor Inn for a corporate rate (Nice motel. Already recommended in my review.)

$49.99 Canadian for Traveller's Inn (Multiple locations. Nice motel. You can get $10 off per night if you book online, but the price on the weekend is $10 higher, so it balances out.)

$59.99 Canadian at the Dominion Hotel (This includes a skimpy meal or two. The price varies somewhat depending whether you have 1 bed or two, and whether it's a weekend or not, and the price rises starting with the third weekend in May. This hotel is old and rather stately, and I like its location best.)

(Rough exchange rate: $1.50 Canadian = $1 US) Total added tax is 17.5% (I think).

Too late to edit again - Orbitz offers $49 CAD per night for Paul's Motor Inn (not sure if that will work or not for me, since it says a US billing address is required. AMEX works for me on Priceline). A $30 Priceline bid (if that is available) might beat that slightly (considering the handling charge), but the added uncertainty and unflexibility wouldn't be worth it for me.

I have a friend that books many rooms for work in Victoria through Priceline...

Apparently, the lowest price for a 3* in Victoria is $43 for the Laurel Point Inn ... however there is a 2*/2.5* in the airport zone (I can't remember exactly what he got) for $27 or $28. The 4* Fairmont Empress takes $83.

I have a friend that books many rooms for work in Victoria through Priceline...

Apparently, the lowest price for a 3* in Victoria is $43 for the Laurel Point Inn ... however there is a 2*/2.5* in the airport zone (I can't remember exactly what he got) for $27 or $28. The 4* Fairmont Empress takes $83.

SqueegeeKid, that's very useful info. I had never heard of any successful bids in the Victoria Airport zone. The Fairmont Empress would be fabulous, and the Laurel Point (which is affiliated with Paul's Motor Inn, but which is a higher-class hotel) has a great location.

BTW, I posted above that the BC taxes on hotel stays are 17.5%. Actually, the combined tax is 17%: 7% GST and 10% hotel tax. Priceline only charges the 10%. Americans either don't have to pay the 7% or they can get a refund (not sure which).

• 2 weeks later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]