Hotwire Hotel: IS IT LIKELY PRICE WILL RISE OR FALL

nickt2326
By nickt2326,
in

Hi everyone, Back again. This board is great and I frequent it often. Thanks for helping me just last week get the Intercontinental at a great price of 119+tax.

My question is I am looking to spend FEB 13TH-15TH in boston as well and hoping for the same place...if not it is okay. The 4.5 star hotel which I am assuming is the intercontinental for the dates provided is $179 a night...is it likely as the date gets closer those prices will rise or fall? Just figuring if I should pull the trigger or if I wait it is likely I can get a better deal.

thanks

Nick

I think there's a couple of issues to consider - hotels have knocked down prices due to the economy, but Valentine's Day is a popular hotel-iday (I just copyrighted that term.... :) ) Are there other things in Boston going on that I don't know about (conventions, etc.)

If this is the Intercontinental, it's $240 for these dates, versus what is potentially the Intercontinental for $170 on HOTWIRE. $70 isn't too bad a discount if the Intercontinental is truly what you want.

The other issue is, if you're staying at the Intercontinental for another trip, do you want to try a different hotel? Personally, I think it's fun trying different properties, and there are some cheaper prices I'm seeing for 4*'s for these dates. While the 4*s aren't 4.5*'s, the $30-50 cheaper price tag can go towards a nice dinner or other things.

You could also try bidding on PRICELINE, although that definitely opens up even more of a possibility of getting a different hotel.

To add what AaronJB has posted above, the 'short answer' is that it depends upon how actual bookings come in relative to expected bookings.

Today's prices reflect actual bookings plus anticipated bookings... if cancellations come in greater than expected or fewer bookings come in relative to what is expected, then prices will likely drop... if more bookings come in than expected or there are fewer cancellations, then prices will likely rise. Nobody knows how cancellations and future bookings will play-out (if you did, you could have a very lucrative career in hotel revenue management :) ).

There is a further discussion in the related link in our PRICELINE FAQ.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all I am looking for a 4 star or better hotel in boston for 2/13-2/15 (Doesnt matter the zone but the nicer the better..)

I was wonder how likely it would be if I bet around 60 bucks to get the hyatt regency.....best guess would be great

Lastly, does priceline always allow you to extend ur stay one night at the same price or just in certain situations? If I bid for 2/13 and get the hotel I want then can I add 2/14 for sure?

Please keep all posts for the same stay in the same thread.

I was wonder how likely it would be if I bet around 60 bucks to get the hyatt regency.....best guess would be great
You're asking two questions...

1) will $60 be successful for these dates

--> can't say, i would suspect this may be too low given that it's Valentine's Day weekend, which would likely bring demand up from 'ultra-low' occupancy which is when we've seen $60 bids accepted in the past (although this year may be different due to the current economic conditions)

2) will you win the Hyatt

--> really can't say... you can't bid on a specific hotel and you need to be willing to accept any hotel in the zone at the minimum star rating, or higher, that you select

If you're willing to accept any 4* hotel why not let us know the zone(s) you're willing to accept along with your maximum bid and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

If you only want the Hyatt then PRICELINE is probably not your best way to book... although HOTWIRE could be an option if you're willing to accept a little risk and able to ID the property beforehand.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]