Priceline Hotel: Assistance Requested: 4-4.5* Beverly Hills 02/18-02/21

Fragnetic
By Fragnetic,
in

I used Priceline for a successful win for the first half of this trip, but now looking to book 3 nights in Beverly Hills. Any suggestions on bidding strategy or potential hotels that match would be very appreciated :)

* Would like 4 - 4.5* or nicest I can get on either Priceline or Hotwire

* Dates are 02/18/09 - 02/21/09

* Ideal price would be in the $100 - $149 range, but flexible

* Would prefer to stay in Beverly Hills as opposed to West Hollywood

* Ideal hotel would be the Beverly Hilton, but targeting in this area looks to be impossible

On another note, do hotels in BH have any history of worse rooms, poorer treatment for guests who book through PL or HW?

Thanks!

Unfortunately with PRICELINE there is no distinction between West Hollywood and Beverly Hills. A bid in that zone has an equal chance of winning a hotel in either zone. HOTWIRE does split the zone into Beverly Hills and West Hollywood, so that could be an option.

I am currently seeing a 3.5* for $112 with amenities: fitness, pool, restaurant, business, and internet with a 3.5/5 tripadvisor rating based on 140+ reviews which seems to match the Crowne Plaza in Beverly Hills. I know it's a lower rated hotel than what you were looking for but the 4* is $239, which seems to be out of your price range. (The 4* looks to be the Hyatt Century Place)

You will likely get a better deal on PRICELINE, but you would have to be open to West Hollywood. Is this ok? Would you be willing to go with HOTWIRE?

As slick_gd mentioned Priceline combines West Hollywood and Beverly Hills in one zone. That said, I'll estimate at least 75% of the winning 4* bids in this zone are for Beverly Hills or Century City hotels, not West Holllywood. The 4* Mondrian is the one that comes up in West Hollywood. (And the Beverly Hilton you like most hasn't been reported won in years, unfortunately.)

If you win a 4* on Priceline chances are good it would be in the BH/CC area but that's not a guarantee. The Mondrian's reputation is "party hotel", and if winning that would ruin your trip maybe you don't want to gamble on Priceline, even though Mondrian isn't one of the likeliest outcomes.

Unless you're eager to secure something now my suggestion would be to keep watching Hotwire for another week or two and see if that 4*'s price comes down closer to your $149 limit, as I suspect it will.

Unfortunately with PRICELINE there is no distinction between West Hollywood and Beverly Hills. A bid in that zone has an equal chance of winning a hotel in either zone. HOTWIRE does split the zone into Beverly Hills and West Hollywood, so that could be an option.

I am currently seeing a 3.5* for $112 with amenities: fitness, pool, restaurant, business, and internet with a 3.5/5 tripadvisor rating based on 140+ reviews which seems to match the Crowne Plaza in Beverly Hills. I know it's a lower rated hotel than what you were looking for but the 4* is $239, which seems to be out of your price range. (The 4* looks to be the Hyatt Century Place)

You will likely get a better deal on PRICELINE, but you would have to be open to West Hollywood. Is this ok? Would you be willing to go with HOTWIRE?

Thanks for your input slick_gd...hmmm...we prefer Beverly Hills to WeHo, and the price range I threw out there was a target range that was ideal but not set in stone. That being said, $239 is a little too much to be assured a BH location. If we decided to go with Priceline and roll the dice on the combined BH-WeHo zone, do you know what potential 4* hotels are in the WeHo zone and what a good bidding strategy would be, considering a $239 Hotwire price? Thanks again!

Unless you're eager to secure something now my suggestion would be to keep watching Hotwire for another week or two and see if that 4*'s price comes down closer to your $149 limit, as I suspect it will.

Thanks Colfax. After reading several posts discussing the topic of timing, I still havent seen a definitive answer. It would seem to me that the longer I wait, the more stressed the hotel would be about filling its rooms. On the other hand, the greater chance the hotel rooms get filled up organically and thus no need for cheap reservations. The only other issue with those dates are they are the 3 nights leading up to the Academy Awards, not sure if that matters. Shame about the Beverly Hilton...thanks for the input!

It just dawned on me...Academy Awards are Sunday, Feb 22. You're stay is the Weds/Thurs/Fri night before Academy Awards but Beverly Hills hotels will be popular the nights before too.

I checked Hotwire to see if eliminating your Friday night would bring the rate down and it doesn't. 3.5* still $116 and 4* is still $239.

Conventional rates for your dates are fairly high---Hyatt $275, Sofitel $270, Intercontinental $288.

But the Mondrian is $495 for these dates, making it less likely that the Mondrian is the hotel that will come up if you bid on Priceline. (But even with its high rate the Mondrian is still possible.)

If you want to gamble on PRICELINE someone will suggest a strategy. The $239 on HOTWIRE is a fairly shallow discount when you can book conventionally for $270.

It just dawned on me...Academy Awards are Sunday, Feb 22. You're stay is the Weds/Thurs/Fri night before Academy Awards but Beverly Hills hotels will be popular the nights before too.

I checked Hotwire to see if eliminating your Friday night would bring the rate down and it doesn't. 3.5* still $116 and 4* is still $239.

Conventional rates for your dates are fairly high---Hyatt $275, Sofitel $270, Intercontinental $288.

But the Mondrian is $495 for these dates, making it less likely that the Mondrian is the hotel that will come up if you bid on Priceline. (But even with its high rate the Mondrian is still possible.)

If you want to gamble on PRICELINE someone will suggest a strategy. The $239 on HOTWIRE is a fairly shallow discount when you can book conventionally for $270.

Yes, my wife and I are wrapping up a SoCal trip with the last three nights in LA and picked Beverly Hills (over where we normally stay, Santa Monica) precisely to get a small feel of the buzz leading up to the Oscars. So it stands to reason that the hotels will be pricier those dates as well and less interested in filling rooms. I think at this point I would pretty happy with any BH-WeHo 4* if it comes in around $150-$175, but that may be a pipe dream...

Thanks Colfax. After reading several posts discussing the topic of timing, I still havent seen a definitive answer. It would seem to me that the longer I wait, the more stressed the hotel would be about filling its rooms. On the other hand, the greater chance the hotel rooms get filled up organically and thus no need for cheap reservations.

It goes both ways. We've seen people get great deals in the final days before Mardi Gras, Academy Awards, and all kinds of special events, after weeks or even months of unsuccessful bidding. Because of the economy I think it's more likely that fewer people than anticipated will show up, rather than more. But who knows?

On another note, do hotels in BH have any history of worse rooms, poorer treatment for guests who book through PL or HW?

I'm sure every hotel has had some unhappy Priceline guests but I wouldn't say there's a 4* hotel in Beverly Hills with an established reputation for treating PL/HW guests poorly, or having a designated wing of inferior rooms reserved for Priceline. I'm not speaking from firsthand experience; just the accumulation of opinions I see expressed on the board here.

stay of 2/18-2/21

amenities: Boutique Hotel, Fitness Center, Pool, Restaurant, Business Center, High-speed Internet Access

Only one I could find on Tripadvisor was Hotel Le Petit?? But I dont see a business center or anyone else who has won that one...

Any help IDing would be appreciated, thanks!

Please keep all posts regarding this stay in one thread, Fragnetic. If you end up buying something on Hotwire we'll move this whole thread to the Hotwire section.

Are your icons for a 4* hotel in Hollywood-West Hollywood zone?

Wow I screwed up that post 2 times! made a dupe thread and left out a slightly important detail, the zone. Sorry about that. Yes, Hollywood-West Hollywood. I don't want to stay in Hollywood for this trip, but would be ok with expanding into West Hollywood, but still trying for a 4* + hotel...thanks for the input

I'm going to get back to you on this one tomorrow, Fragnetic. Thanks for your patience.

Do Le Petit or Sky Hotel that AaronJB mentioned appeal to you?

Colfax - Those two dont particularly appeal to me but I suppose I am being too picky? For the forum, here was my failed "strategy" from yesterday:

Priceline bid $100 on 4* BH/WeHo - rejected

added Lawndale and $110 - rejected

added Culver and $125 - rejected

Got worried about adding any more zones and stopped.

Came back hours later and tried again, thinking it wouldnt let me bid again in same 24 hours, but they did.

Bid $135 on 4* BH/WeHo - rejected

added Lawndale at $150 - rejected

added Culver at $155 - rejected!

- Brian

That Hotwire 4* Boutique in Hollywood-West Hollywood looks like Le Petit, again. The TripAdvisor stats (3.5/5, 80+ reviews) match. Le Petit's website says internet access and faxing available 24 hours, which I think qualifies as a Business Center. (You said you didn't think this hotel was Le Petit becuase LP doesn't appear to have a Business Center.)

Does a 4* in Priceline's Brentwood-Westwood zone appeal to you? Not Bev Hills, but "Beverly Hills Adjacent". If you get anything it would most likely be the Palomar ($259 for your dates). The Luxe and W in Westwood could also come up, but less likely. Hotwire includes Brentwood-Westwood in their Beverly Hills-WeHo-Century City zone, but Priceline breaks Brentwood-Westwood out as a separate zone.

If you don't want Brentwood-Westwood my advice would be to wait. Book a cancellable backup (Quikbook is good for that) and keep bidding to $155 for a 4* every few days now.

While 4* rates are moderately high for your dates (mostly $250-300) none of the primary Priceline hotels is sold out. I never guarantee but I think you have a good chance of winning a 4* on Priceline for $155 or less if you're patient.

Another wrinkle here is that Hotel Andaz is opening January 9. That's the former Hyatt West Hollywood and it's been closed several months for renovations. Andaz is owned by Hyatt and it's likely to start showing up on Priceline and Hotwire soon. I don't know how Andaz will be rated on Priceline (3.5* or 4*) or what the reviews will be, but there will be another option in this zone very soon, for better or worse.

Priceline rates the Angeleno 3* so you can't win it bidding 4*. Priceline never downgrades a bid.

When bidding for a 4* in LA you have four free rebid zones. Those are zones that only have 3.5* hotels or lower. If you need help determining your free rebid zones please ask before you bid.

I suggest $100 for a 4* in Brentwood-Westwood. Then add Beverly Hills-West Hollywood at $110.

Then raise $10 per free rebid, to $150.

I'm so sure you'll use the link that I won't even mention it.

So I just successfully bid and won on a LuxuryLink package that happened to correspond to exactly what I was looking for. Colfax, thank you very much for your insight and help with regards to the Priceline and Hotwire bids. Had the package not lined up perfectly with what I needed, Im sure I would have acted upon your advice. And Im sure Ill use it in the future also. These forums have been a great help and really opened my eyes to the potential travel savings, thanks again!

As far as my winning bid goes, here are the specs for those that are interested:

staying from 02/18/09 - 02/21/09 (3 nights)

Chamberlain West Hollywood

Grand King Suite

Includes overnight parking

Includes internet in room

Includes breakfast for two each day

Includes all taxes and fees

Total for winning bid was $719 + $30 auction fee, but I applied an online coupon for first time users $100 off, bringing the total to $649 for everything.

This came in right at the price point I wanted once I did the math for the cost of the package items that I was going to purchase anyway:

$649 / 3 = 216 a night

$216 - parking ($28), - internet daily charge ($10), - breakfast (lets say $20), and - taxes 14% = $139 a night in HW/PL terms

The cheapest I could find a grand king suite at the Chamberlain was $335 a night with an advance non refundable purchase. So I saved about $200 a night! The hotel has recevied very good reviews on Tripadvisor and I just felt more comfortable picking out exactly where I wanted to be. Had I needed to stay 4 nights or in some other area, this wouldnt have worked, but as it is we are pretty happy. Thanks again to all who responded and Ill post back later with any other info thats relevant.

Great deal for Academy Awards weekend, Fragnetic! Effectively $139 for a $335 suite, and the Chamberlain looks like a very nice hotel.

I'm not familiar with LuxuryLink. Is it an opaque site too or did you know in advance that you were bidding for the Chamberlain?

Enjoy your stay.

I knew the hotel before hand, which was somewhat important to me for this particular part of my trip. This was my first time using Luxurylink. They basically have packages put together for a set number of nights and various auction or buy it now methods. Many are exotic and pricey, but for this one, it was a single auction with minimum bid set at $719. I called the Chamberlain first to make sure they had availability for the package during the nights of my stay. Then I bid $719 and no one else bid before the auction ended, so I won it.

NOTE: as I was a first time user I did not have any credit card info on file and they did not require me to put in credit card info before bidding! In fact it was almost anonymous.

They give 24 hours to contact and arrange payment otherwise the auction is lost. I used a coupon code I found on line for the $100 off. They then send payment reciept and request for date(s) of trip and they make arrangements with the hotel. Customer service was friendly, however they only work M-F business hours.

They dont have a very large selction of properties and night plans (most are 3 and 4 night stays), but it just so happened that I needed a 3 night stay with the ammenities they listed and the hotel had great reviews AND availability, so I pounced. Ill be sure to post back here after the trip to tell if there were any "gotchas" along the way.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]