Priceline Hotel: Help with Hotel bidding

Hippygal
By Hippygal,
in

I have been trying for over three weeks now. I usually never have problems with bidding and winning hotel rooms on priceline.

I have been using the PRICELINE link provided for each bidding attempt (been many!!).

What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions?

Dates of stay Dec 27-28, 2008 one night

Beverly Hills:

Been bidding for 3* Residence Inn. Last failed bid at $72, using rebid zones available

Hollywood:

Been bidding 4* only, for Renaissance or Roosevelt. Have bid up to $102, no luck. Used all free rebid zones each time.

Studio City:

Am interested in the Sportsmen's Lodge, but can't find any informaiton on previous winning bids, or luck on getting this. I noted that there is a Courtyard at this star level, as well, in this area. Have not seen any wins at all. Any bidding advice or stradegy for this area?

Please help, I am at a loss, and do not want to spend a fortune. We are only going to Universal and then sight seeing around Hollywood (Kodak, Hollywood Museum, Starline Tours).

It would be the most enticing for me NOT to have to pay for parking at the hotel, then also parking at Universal, then parking at the Kodak/Museums, etc the next day as well.. that could lead to a boatload of fees.

We do want to stay at Universal the entire time they are open (till 9 or 10pm on the website it says), so would like to be within walking distance.

How can one get the Universal City Hotels (Sheraton, Holiday Inn) without ending up in Glendale or Burbank??

I will also consider HOTWIRE if anyone has advice on that.

If I do end up paying $125-$130 (which I am almost willing to do) what is my best bet and the most frugal (parking, amenities, etc) of choices amongst what is a possibility to win (Meaning the areas, hotels with track records of wins, etc)?

Thanks for your help!!!!

A reminder, and to answer the invevitable question that will arise from any 'newbie' reading this thread, you're not bidding on the specific hotel(s) you've listed... you're bidding on a minimum star rating in the given zone, and can receive any hotel in the zone which is rated at the minimum star rating (or higher) you've selected.

It appears to me that there are many 'wants' for this stay which you can't ascertain with a PRICELINE purchase... free parking, walking distance to Universal, and avoiding certain parts of the zone(s).

Seems to me that HOTWIRE may be a better option for this trip, for if you can correctly ID the hotel before your purchaes, you will know the parking charge (if any), proximity to the attractions you wish to attend, etc. However, HOTWIRE uses different boundaries for their zones than PRICELINE, so i would first search HOTWIRE and see if anything appears within your budget, and take it from there.

Thoughts?

Thanks for using our PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Other than 1* and 2* most hotels in the zones you want charge for parking.

HOTWIRE has the Sportsman Lodge for $94 (for 2 adults) or $109 (for 3 adults, which guarantees you two beds). It's a 3* in Studio City zone with six icons. There's a good chance you could win the Sportsman Lodge for less than $94 by bidding on Priceline. Two beds wouldn't be guaranteed on a Priceline purchase though.

You might win a 3* in Burbank-Universal-Glendale on PRICELINE in the $50's, but no way to guarantee which city inside the zone you'd get.

thereuare,

Do you have any info on the last win on priceline for the Sportsmen's Lodge? I couldn't find any info while doing a search.

I don't mind paying parking (expected in LA) just do not want to pay for parking at hotel, then parking at Universal, then parking at Hollywood.. I would like to stay in a hotel where we pay for parking then can walk or take the dash/bus/hotel shuttle to the attractions...

I don't see the post(s) for the Sportsman's Lodge... it may have been mentioned inside a post or something which isn't coming up in my search.

I would like to stay in a hotel where we pay for parking then can walk or take the dash/bus/hotel shuttle to the attractions...
Since you can't choose the hotel you will receive with PRICELINE, how can you be assured that the hotel you receive will be near mass transit to take you to the loations you want? (i'm not familiar with the mass transit systems in LA, is is that good that you can be reasonably assured of being able to not have to use your car? :) )

Assuming not, HOTWIRE may be a better option since you can at least have an educated guess as to what you will receive before your purchase and thereby now how well it will meet your needs.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

HOTWIRE isn't much help right now because the 3* they're displaying for $82 looks like the Holiday Inn Burbank, which isn't in Universal City. Hotwire has a 2.5* for $79 as well but that hotel hasn't been identified yet and no TripAdvisor stats are given that would help make an ID. There's a good chance the 2.5* hotel is also in Glendale or Burbank.

From a dollar standpoint your best bet is still probably bidding for a 3* in B-U-G zone on Priceline, although the outcome could be a hotel in Burbank or Glendale with pay parking, and the transportation options will vary with the hotel you win. If you don't want Burbank or Glendale you may have to book something near Universal conventionally or keep watching Hotwire for the menu of choices to change.

3* in Hollywood could be an option too. I stayed at the Hollywood Heights Hotel on PRICELINE last week. They charge $20 for parking but you can walk to Hollywood Blvd, about 3-4 blocks, and catch the Red Line there out to Universal Studios. So you'd only have one parking charge per day.

Colfax,

Thanks for your response! Very informative!

How was the Hollywood Heights Hotel? Is it safe? Is it "nice"? Are the rooms decent? What about amenities, etc.

Do you know which of the three we would have the best chance of a "star encounter" at? Would the Hollywood Heights still be in that "atmosphere"? (For my 15 yo son!)

That is definitely a possibility, cheap parking too!

I can get a one night stay at Hotel Palomar for $79 (with tax included), but this is near Westwood. Are you familiar with that? It is still only a 10 min drive to Universal, but again..there's that parking thing.

Thereuare: I guess I was hoping that identifying on hotwire would allow me to see the parking situations, and how far the hotel is from where we need to be. But most of the hotwire hotels are not identified (as noted above), so I am afraid to even attempt right now.

I love staying at Marriott properties, which is why I would consider paying a bit more to stay at the Renaissance. Their rack rate right now is $199 for that night, was $229 before Thanksgiving.

When is the best time for me to be bidding? Should I wait another week and keep toying with the bidding process daily or should I jump on a room ASAP???

When is the best time for me to be bidding? Should I wait another week and keep toying with the bidding process daily or should I jump on a room ASAP???
See the related link in our PRICELINE FAQ.

Have you looked to see if the amenities associated with the Hollywood Heights Hotel (from the Hotwire Hotel List appears for your dates?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

You've reminded me, Hippygal, I need to write a review of the Hollywood Heights Hotel. You asked if it's nice. It's not a dump and it's also not a 4*. It's a former Holiday Inn that's been renovated. Six or seven stories. It's in a cluster of similar midrange hotels on Highland--Best Western, Holiday Inn Express, etc--about 3-4 blocks north of Hollywood Blvd.

The hotel has a definite Hollywood theme with portraits of old movie stars in the hallways...Brando, Crawford, Cagney. Small lobby. There's a bar and restaurant which I didn't try. Outdoor pool and jacuzzi. The lobby looked more renovated than my room, which still had kind of a Holiday Inn feel.

Half the rooms overlook busy Highland Avenue and I think those rooms would get a lot of traffic noise. The rooms on the hotel's backside face a steep hill with homes on the top. That's the quiet side of the hotel and where I stayed. I didn't have any issues or problems at Hollywood Heights but if I'd been on the Highland side I don't think I would have liked it. I don't think you'll bump into "stars" at Hollywood Heights Hotel. There were some young rock musician types staying there, and a group of Australians, and some Irish, and miscellaneous Priceline and Hotwire people. Staff was friendly and efficient.

HH was okay but you'd probably be happier at the Renaissance if you can get it in your budget. HH was $70 and Renaissance usually more like $110-150.

Another option is the Hollywood Orchid Suites. I haven't stayed there myself but another poster on this board wrote about them recently. They're a basic 2* hotel but with good TripAdvisor reviews, rated 4 out of 5. Location is very central, behind the Kodak and Gruman theaters, and a short walk to the Red Line train at Hollywood/Highland that takes you to Universal. And the Orchid Suites has free parking, unusual in Holllywood. For your date they have two doubles for $109 or two queens for $129. But if you can get the Renaissance for the same price...

I'm not familiar with Hotel Palomar but if it's $79 with tax I wouldn't have high expectations. Have you looked for reviews?

Yes, Hotel Palomar has EXCELLENT reviews. Everyone that gave a review on travelpost (or it might have been tripadvisor) could not say enough positive about it.

The worst was the parking fee of $30. Going rack rate is $287 (I think I saw that on the website). It is a Kimpton Property (not sure what that means, but everyone kept raving about it).

Anyway, yeah.. $79 including the tax, but then the parking for $30.. so $109.

A friend of mine (who is a PB playmate) told me that she highly recommended either the Renaissance or the Beverly Hills Hotel.. and none other! LOL

Tonight, though, our Chief of Police told me the area around the Kodak/Walk of Fame, is HORRIBLE and he would never stay there. He said it is riddled with druggies and not safe at all. Is this true? (He was there four years ago, so he said it might have gotten better).

I really am leaning towards the Renaissance (if safe), but saving money at the Palomar, or a nice priceline win, sounds good too...

Thanks for your review!!!

When you asked about Hotel Palomar for $79 I didn't connect that you were talking about the Kimpton Palomar in Westwood. I thought you were asking about some generic motel named Palomar with a rack rate of $79, which would be a whole different story. So yes, $79 is a terrific rate for the Palomar in Westwood, even if you have to pay $30 for parking.

As for safety in Hollywood, no place is perfectly safe. I'd think the Renaissance is about as safe a hotel as you'll find in Hollywood. The Kodak Theater and Renaissance Hotel are in the same Hollywood/Highland complex, so I don't understand the idea that Renaissance is in a good neighborhood and Kodak area is bad. I wouldn't wander around there at 3am, but you shouldn't expect problems during the day or evening.

It seems you still haven't settled on what's most important for this hotel stay. You said you wanted a hotel with free or cheap parking, but you seem to be gravitating towards higher end hotels (Palomar, Renaissance, Roosevelt) where cheap parking won't happen. You mention wanting to stay within walking distance or near public transportation to Universal but then you're also looking at hotels (Palomar, Residence Inn) that aren't near public transportation.

There are lots of options to sort through and you appear to have a good handle on the pros and cons of each. You just have to make up your mind. It will be interesting to hear where you ultimately end up.

Well, I made a stand by reservation with the Renaissance for $199 a night (but they are giving me View of Hollywood Hills and an upgrade from the base room that is at this rate).

That is a lot, though, but will be good just in case I can't get a room on Priceline.

Yes, the Kimpton Palomar.. for $79 was very intriquing. Sounds like a nice hotel. What is your idea of the Palomar? Can you give some feedback? The girl that I can get that rate with, is still offering me the rate, and I am tempted.

Is it really a long drive (we will have a rental) from Palomar to Universal? Where would we park when we go back the next day to tour Kodak Theatre, starline tours, etc? Is there cheap parking?

I was thinking if we stayed in Hollywood, we just leave our car parked in the valet and just ride dash, or any PT, wherever we needed to go.

I am still going to keep trying on Priceline for a room, but I am thinking that if I decide against the Palomar, and go wtih the Renaissance or Roosevelt on priceline, I might not get the same upgrades that Marriott is giving me by packing rack rate, and I might still be paying close to rack rate through priceline ($134 plus taxes is what I have seen on winning bids for these hotels).

WOW! Those $55 dollar wins at the Downtown Marriott sound good too!!!

LOL! Like you needed another option, Hippygal!

No I don't suggest staying Downtown if you want to visit Hollywood and Universal. You're just adding to your commute time.

Keep in mind this is only a one night stay and you're going to be busy outside your hotel most of the time. In that sense the hotel you choose doesn't matter much, as long as you don't pick a dump or someplace far away.

Your two best options to my mind are:

1) The Renaissance, since it sounds like it's where you most want to stay. If you're willing to pay $199 plus parking to stay at Renaissance why not bid higher than the $102 you've tried on Priceline? Maybe you can get it for $110 or $125. Do you only want the Renaissance and not the Roosevelt, which could also come up on Priceline? If that's the case have you checked Hotwire to see if Renaissance is available there?

2) The Palomar for $79 plus parking. Good rate for another nice place. The disadvantage is you'll have to pay for parking at least twice, maybe three times. From a Hollywood hotel you'll be able to take the train to Universal, if you want. (I've never stayed at the Palomar and don't have a personal opinion of it. I've only looked at the website and read some reviews.)

So please let us know what you decide when you decide.

Thanks for checking in with me!

I went ahead and just booked straight with Marriott for the Renaissance in Hollywood.

It ended up being a very good deal, and much cheaper than I had hoped.

My company gave me a gift certificate for $100..to of all places.. Renaissance Hotels!

Then I found online that if I sign up for the elephant card, I get an additional 20% off at check in by showing the card.

So, the $199 room is going to end up costing me only $79 (go figure same amount as the Palomar!) plus tax ($27).

They also added these perks:

Placed my room on the Concierge Floor with view of Hollywood Hills. This gives us free breakfast and appetizers/drinks at night. Great savings there with that alone.

Valet parking is only $29 TOTAL for the entire two days. I can drop the car off at 9am, if I want, and not leave until 6pm the next day and it is only one $29 charge.

Otherwise, I can self park for only $10.

Not bad! I think I did pretty good for booking straight through the hotel!

Thank you SO MUCH for all of your help! Thereuare, thank you so much for your link to the bidding tips, because it was when I read to book a standby hotel "just in case" that prompted me to call Marriott directly..thus leading me to what I feel is a much better deal.

Colfax... You are an amazing source of help. I can't thank you enough! Hope I can return the favor sometime (if you are ever planning on coming to Chicago or Indianapolis.....)

Concierge floor at the Renaissance with a view and breakfast for $79! I don't think you're going to beat that. Excellent!

Thanks for the update, Hippygal. Enjoy your trip.

If I ever get back to Chicago I'll need some suggestions. Thanks for your offer of help. Feel free to share you recommendations on the Illinois and Indiana boards too, any time.

• 1 month later...

Concierge floor was closed for the weekends (just started when we arrived they said).

They upgraded us to an Executive Suite, but the view would have overlooked the LA skyline. I said I really wanted a view of the Hollywood hills to see the Hollywood sign at night.

No mention it isn't lit up at night anymore.

We had an executive suite, but moved to the 11th floor.. with a view of the dark, quiet, hollywood hills.. ugh.

not as nice as I was hoping, even for a suite. But everyone that I came across in Hollywood said our hotel was the "sh&t"

I didn't feel that way, I have stayed in better.

Valet parking was $29 for the entire stay (9am Sat until about 7 pm Sunday!)

Was treated very nice. Clean hotel.. just not much to really get excited about. The only time I got excited was sitting out on the 5th floor at the pool where Spa Luce is. I had a great big chair and sat looking out over the LA skyline late one night. of course, I was kicked out because the pool was closed, even though all doors were unlocked. Ugh.

I would have rather have stayed at the old Hollywood style of the Roosevelt. Now that gave me shivers just walking through!! AMAZING!!!!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]