England London Holiday Inn Kensington Forum

WillTravel
By WillTravel,
in

This is a very conveniently located hotel about 1 block from the Gloucester Road station, which is on the Circle, District, and Piccadilly lines.

We checked in about 8 PM in the evening.

We were assigned a room, and I noted that the envelope that the keys came in said that we were checking out on 7/24. In fact we were checking out on 7/25. So pointed this out and we had to get a new room assigned.

Up we went to the new room. It looked fine, although small, with two twin beds. But I soon noted that there was trash in the room from the previous occupants. Perhaps the room had been partially made up, and perhaps not. I phoned down and pointed out that it looked as if housekeeping hadn't finished. They said they would send housekeeping on a priority basis. I decided to go down and lock up our passports in the safe. When I went down, I saw the same clerk again, and he offered to give us a different room immediately. It would be technically be an upgrade to an executive room. So we went to our new room.

It was an upgrade for me, but not really for my son. I had a king-sized bed, and he had a sofa bed (a very small sofa from which you pull out a twin-size bed). However, he said it was comfortable, and all was well. However, I can't say that the upgrade is worth it, should you have to pay for it. The desk is bigger, and you get two phones (one of which didn't work). The hair dryer also didn't work, but I didn't feel like pointing this out.

Everything looked quite nice and new, particularly in the second room. The hotel seems to have a lot of flight crews and tour groups. I wouldn't complain about getting this hotel, and the location is indeed convenient, both for exploring the city and getting to and from Heathrow.

• 3 weeks later...

We stayed at this hotel for two nights in July, 2004, during a London Heat Wave. We also stayed two nights at the Millenium Mayfair, for more money, and the Holiday Inn was much nicer. If we go back to London, I would gladly stay in this hotel for the entire trip.

The room was sparkling clean, with a nice view of London (26th floor), and an air conditioner that worked flawlessly. The room had a queen size bed, with a desk, two nightstands and an armchair. Perfect for gazing out at the London view. The bathroom is small, but very well equipped with good hot water and pressure. We checked in early, 9 am, and there was no room available. They offered an upgrade for 25 pounds, but we declined, and they said a room would be available by two pm. At two pm, we came back and our room was ready as promised.

The location is very convenient - with the tube stop just down the street. There are some cafes and restaurants nearby - where you can get morning coffee and breakfast.

The hotel seemed to be frequented by some large toursit groups and airline crews - not a big deal, but they did tend to clog up the lobby at times.

• 3 months later...

Just got back from a Priceline stay here. I had a similar positive experience to those above. I was given a second floor twin superior room, which was fine for my needs. I believe it may have been smoking, but I didn't notice that at all. Rooms are smallish, but modern, bright and clean. I wouldn't entertain there, but I could certainly get work done. Also, they use toiletry dispensers in the rooms rather than small bottles; they do give small soap bars, but if you use hair conditioner, bring your own as it is not provided.

As of November '04, the hotel offers free wireless internet access in the lobby, which also clogs the lobby up (but free access is great!) Also, the fitness room is decent and free. As stated before, several food options and the tube a very short walk away.

This was not one of the most luxurious 4* Priceline bids I have ever won (I'd say it's more a 3.5*) but it was a great bargain for a fine stay. Access to and from Heathrow or central London via the Piccadilly line was easy as pie. Do note though, that if you opt to take the tube from Heathrow, there is a flight of about 20 steps at the Gloucester Road station that is unavoidable. I only hit it going down, which was no big deal with what I had (2 medium-large bags) but going up with very large bags alone might have been difficult.

• 1 year later...

I stayed here from Jan 1 till Jan 9, 2006. Moved from Melia White House which I stayed two nights before. They both rated as 4 stars. Paid $100 + tax for MWH probably because of new year's eve, $70 for Holiday Inn for the 8th days. I have no complains about the price because I bidded late and found out several other hotels mentioned in this forum has been fully booked (through their websites, and Orbitz). The room is certainly not as good or classy as MWH. Room is plain, no nice decor. Clean enough for me. They don't give small botels of shampoo, lotions, etc. They mount the shampoo/body wash on the wall, like at Hotel Ibis which I happened to stayed in last year in Madrid.

The staff at the front desk is not the nicest. I think they look tired. It's a big hotel with a lot of group coming in and out, and airline crews. I don't blame them and I only need to talk to them once after checking in because the phone in the room stopped working.

The concierge service is nice but their information is not always accurate. For example, I was told it was "Bank Holiday" on Jan 2nd, and the train operates on Sunday schedule. But later I found out it was incorrect.

Also another time a guy confidently told me the wrong time the Underground station opened, and the time the first train arrived. So, double check the info with another source would be a good idea.

The surrounding area is very nice, with many places to eat. Fast food, English, Italian, Indian, Singaporean, cafe, etc. The Sainsbury supermarket is 10 minutes walk away, very nice place to shop for snacks, drinks, etc. There is also a small mall, with another super marker, next to the tube station.

110v and 220v outlets in the room, but still good to bring socket convertor so you can use the 220v outlets for your universal powersupplies.

TV channels are good enough. I especially like the London channel, lots of tourist infomation. Pub downstair good place to catch soccer games. They play EPL and La Liga, and maybe other matches.

• 5 years later...

All in all a mediocre hotel, apart from the great location. Standard Holiday Inn, hardly a 4* by anyone's standards. Teeny tiny room, even smaller bath. On the shabby side. Staff were really great, particularly reception. They charge to check in for your flight. That is the first time I've seen that anywhere. If I am able to id Harrington Hall, Bailys, or Millenium Gloucester, I'll take one of those on Hotwire before I risk this one again. On the other hand, it was not terrible, just not too nice at all. Not sure why they label their pillows firm and soft. They were absolutely identical!

Incidentally we were up high- I forget but think around the 20th floor. We could still hear train (tube?) noise in our room. Hall noise was also very loud for about 5 min. one night- as if they were right in our room. Luckily the rest of the time there was quiet.

I did love the tea service at this hotel. Great Galaxy chocolate, in addition to a variety of teas and instant coffee.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]