Priceline Hotel: Disneyland & San Diego

moonburst37
By moonburst37,
in

Planning a trip to Disneyland & the San Diego area for the last week/weekend in February 2009. Can't decide which will be the better time to go to each. I've heard that Disneyland is more crowded on the weekend so would it be better to go to Disneyland Wed, Thur, and Friday, then to a San Diego beach on Sat & Sun? I'm assuming my bids for either location will be more for the weekend, any idea which would be the cheaper weekend area?

Welcome to the site :)

What would be your per-night budget? How many in your party?

budget= as low as you can go and still be beachfront in San Diego and cross the street to Disneyland, $100 max

2 adults and an 18 month old, hence the beachfront need. Don't want to be walking more than 5 minutes and no car.

You can't bid for an oceanfront room on Priceline, or for a room across the street from Disneyland. You have to be willing to accept any hotel in the respective Priceline zones. Several hotels in Priceline's San Diego Coastal zone are NOT oceanfront, and Priceline's Disneyland zone includes many hotels that aren't across the street from Disney.

Hotwire might work better for you as you can often figure out which hotels are being offered in advance. Once you decide on your travel dates take a look at Hotwire and see if you find any hotels that look like possibilities. If you'll post the dates and icons here someone will try and identify the hotels. Please make two separate threads for the San Diego and Disney portions of your trip.

budget= as low as you can go and still be beachfront in San Diego and cross the street to Disneyland, $100 max

This was the comment that made me think you only wanted a beachfront hotel in San Diego and a hotel across the street from Disneyland, which you can't guarantee on PRICELINE.

February isn't peak season in San Diego or Disneyland so I think you'll be able to find good deals in both locations, wherever you decide to spend the weekend. If you prefer smaller crowds at Disney I'd spend the weekdays in Anaheim and the weekend in San Diego.

February will be a ghost town in San Diego. Disneyland is always popular (though February is their slowest month of the year), and mid-week days are their slowest days. In fact, if you had to pick the best day of the year to go to Disneyland, it'd be a Tues or Weds in February.

I remember as a kid we stayed at a hotel "across the street from Disneyland". Since then, Disneyland has been reconfigured, and now the entrance to Disneyland is (for all practical purposes) not within walking distance from any of the hotels. The down side is that you can't walk to disneyland. The up side is that now dozens (hundreds?) of hotels are equidistant from the entrance, and price competition is fierce. Personally, I'd be happy with any of the 4*'s in the Anaheim / Disneyland priceline area, and I suspect you will be also. Most have hotel shuttles that run, and Anaheim has a transit that runs the hotel circuit and drops off at Disneyland. As a rule, anything in Anaheim is only in business because of the mouse, and they will bend over backwards to help you get to and fro.

San Diego is a community with lots of beachfront, and few (if any) beachfront hotels. Your best bet is the Coronado zone. Other zones will leave you a very short 5 minute drive from the beach. San Diego (like L.A.) is a car town, you will need one. Parking will be no problem in February... unlike LA, there is lots of free parking by the beaches in San Diego. My second choice (with more hotels and better prices) is San Diego Costal, which usually lands you in La Jolla, but typically at a business hotel.

Best of luck, please let me know if you need further assistance.

• 3 months later...

Hi, this too is my first time on this site. I am going on a family vacation starting May 14th in LA. I will most likely be in LA until the 25th. I plan on going to disneyland and all the big sites in the area. Just wondering what kind of prices I should be bidding for a hotel in the disneyland area, or at least close by. It can be a short drive, that would be okay too, worst case. It would be my wife and I, and 3 kids, 4, 9, and 14. I saw that 4 star hotels could be as cheap as $50 per night in the area, is that right? An outdoor heated pool would be a bonus for us.

Any advice or tips would be much appreciated.

Mark.

markdude,

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Please start a NEW TOPIC for your own stay(s)... and so that we can keep the different trips seperate, please use a different thread for each leg of your stay, and we'll try to help as best we can. :)

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]