Priceline Hotel: 3* Newark (Secaucus-North Bergen) Crowne Plaza

Randi66
By Randi66,
in

I started at 80.00, rejected. Added Elizabeth and upped to 90.00 Rejected again.

I looked on Hotwire and didnt see this hotel listed as an option.

Can you give me a bidding strategy. My flight is booked and I'm looking for the hotel stay( I'd like to stay under 125.00 each night).

Thanks

Randi

Happy Travelling, Randi

Rates at the Hyatt are nearly averaging $500/nite so a $125/nite win doesn't seem likely (at current prices)

To confirm, you understand you can win a different 3* hotel in this zone other than the Hyatt, correct? (although the Doubletree is expesive for these dates as well ($375/nite))

You can continue to try, but do you have any back-up plan at the moment? I'm guessing you're either going to have to increase your budget or consider other zones.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yes, I know about the Doubletree. After I posted, I checked the rates on Hotwire, Expedia, etc and the Hyatt isnt even showing availble( on Expedia).

Anyway, I'm not stuck with bidding on this zone. Maybe I should try 145 for MTE as I've seen some wins for that area( 4*). I might be willing to up my budget if I can stay in Manhatten.

So, can you give me a bidding strategy?

PS: I did use the links.

Happy Travelling, Randi

Based upon current rates i think you'll need to bid much higher for a 4* property in midtown, and if you're trying around $150, i would at least consider as many zones as possible in order to better chances... for a 3* you're probably looking at more than $150 too.

Thanks for using our PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

As you've already bid above your previously stated limit, what is your current maximum bid, zone(s) you're willing to accept, and minimum star rating... from there we'll advise accordingly.

I don't see any harm in trying for a 2.5* hotel in the Jersey City zone... but i think your chances of success are very low since rates for these particular dates are so high. (remember, no re-bid zones at the 2.5* level)

125.00 rejected. Are there any other zones in this area that are acceptable( ie: Easy transporation into NYC?)

I already have my last night booked at a B and B in Jersey City. The reason I did this is because its very high rated( it was only 100.58 tax included) and they'll allow us to leave our luggage there all day( our plane leaves JFK at 9pm)

Happy Travelling, Randi

Secaucus, North Bergen, Rutherford, Meadowlands zones are usually the next best alternative (although a distant 'next best' relatively speaking) which you would commute by bus into the city. However, the busses typically stop running between midnite and 2am (if you intend to stay out late) and at some star levels HOTWIRE becomes a better option since some hotels have better access to transportation (walkable to a bus stop or the bus stops right near the hotel) than others (where it can be difficult to get to the bus without a car).

Oh gosh, this is so confusing. How would a JFK hotel be in comparison.

HOTWIRE has a 3* for 109.00.

No smoking, shuttle, fitness, restaurant, laundry and hi speed. The free shuttle from the airport sounds nice. How hard is it to get from the hotel into NYC?

eta: From the Hotwire List this looks to be the Doubletree. Would you concur?

Happy Travelling, Randi

Note that the amenities on the Hotel List for the Doubletree JFK also include a business center. The Hotels in the JFK airport area don't have convenient access to Manhattan, I would only stay there if I had an early flight or business in the area.

In the HOTWIRE Secaucus - Meadowlands zone, there is a 3.5* for $119 with the following amenities: Fitness, Pool, Restaurant, Business Center, Laundry, High Speed Internet. These amenities are a match for the Crowne Plaza in Secaucus. One of the best features of this hotel is the NJ Transit Bus Stop which is a block away and the round trip fare is about $5.

I agree with dahmmer that JFK is usually not a very good choice... you have to take the shuttle to the airport and then the Airtrain (or bus) to Manhattan... cost starts at $12/ow so not a cost effective option, nor convenient time-wise.

The Crowne in Secaucus has not been coming up too much lately, but if you could land that it would be a good, although not necessarily ideal purchase, imo. It's not as convenient as Jersey City, but it's one of the better options in regards to quality/convenience ratio in the Secaucus area... the one caveat is that the busses stop running sometime between midnite-2am if you intend on staying out very late and there's not too much in the immediate area (although you could walk to a convenience store and a couple of fastfood restaurants)

I guess what i'm trying to say is that you'll probably be ok at the Crowne Plaza and it would be a lot better choice than some of the other hotels in the area... but it wont' be as great of an experience as the Jersey City Hyatt.

I thought I'd try priceline for this area.

Bid 90, 100 and 110, unsuccesful.

Gahhhhh!!!

I just checked Expedia. They have the Embassy suites for 249.00. I believe its the 3* on Hotwire( it has a S icon) for 125.00. Expedia has the Crowne Plaza for 139.00 so its quite possibly the same 3.5* that Hotwire is showing for 123.00( up from the original 119.00). The reviews on Expedia for the Crowne are not that great. What do you know of the Embassy suites?

Happy Travelling, Randi

Both the La Quinta Suites and the Hyatt Place could be possibilities, but not the most likely outcome since these have each been won recently with different amenities than the above... there is a fairly new Residence Inn (10 Murray Hill Parkway) which is a possibility along with Embassy Suites.

Both the La Quinta Suites and the Hyatt Place could be possibilities, but not the most likely outcome since these have each been won recently with different amenities than the above... there is a fairly new Residence Inn (10 Murray Hill Parkway) which is a possibility along with Embassy Suites.

IF it was the Residence Inn, how would that be in regards to transportation.

I found the Howard Johnston in N. Bergen for 84.99. They offer a shuttle into NYC for 6.00 each way. That sounds cheap, but if its per person, it comes to 24.00 each day for both my spouse and I. So, we'd be paying 109.00 and I'm not sure how often the shuttle runs, etc( I have an email into the manager).

Ideally I'd like a hotel where I could have the posibility of going back to the room mid-day if required.

I bid again for NYC going up to 140.00 for 2.5* and was denied.

Happy Travelling, Randi

It's not a trip that i think you would want to do more than once a day, and the frequency of service is less too (i believe). With that said, i think the trip is about 30 minutes or so.

If you're looking for convenience of going back to the hotel during the day (and then returning to the city) the Jersey City area is really the best option (by a wide margin, imo)

I bid 140.00 again for Jersey City( denied). I noticed that they have a new 3.5* listing.

Maybe the Hyatt is now upgraded to a 3.5*

Yes, I just checked "my trips" on PRICELINE and the Hyatt is now a 3.5*. I would think that the Doubletree would remain 3*, and the Courtyard in Jersey City will get 3*, but this is not confirmed.

Regarding the Crowne Plaza in Secaucus, I just stayed there two weeks ago and it was fine. I like the location as its about a block from the NJ Transit Bus Stop. Some of the reviews of the North Bergen Howard Johnson's are unkind and I would never stay there. With regards to the Residence Inn on Murray Hill Parkway, there is a bus stop in front of the adjacent Fairfield Inn, but I would call the hotel and ask for the route number and go to www.njtransit.org for the schedule.

Good Luck

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]