Hotwire Hotel: 3* Gettysburg Eisenhower Hotel and Conference Center

Beergirl
By Beergirl,
in

I've been trying to book directly or bid PRICELINE for a hotel in Gettysburg for a couple of weeks, and nothing has been available. There's apparently a sharpshooters convention there this weekend.

This morning, Hotwire showed availability for a 3* hotel for $116, so I jumped on it. I assumed it would be the Wyndham, but got the

Eisenhower Hotel and Conference Center

2634 Emmitsburg Road

Gettysburg, PA

717-334-8121

Ammenities: Fitness Center, Pool, Restaurant, Business Center, Laundry, Golf Nearby, Tennis Nearby

Hotel rate per night:$116.00

No Of Nights:2

Rooms:1

Subtotal:$232.00

Tax recovery charges and fees:$24.42

Total price:$256.42

We really wanted to stay close to Gettysburg for a couple of nights, so this will work out fine for us. Gets OK reviews on Tripadvisor.

Of course, I used the HOTWIRE link from here! :)

Brenda

Congratulations on your success!

Sorry to hear that you didn't get the hotel you were expecting, but happy that this will still work out well for your needs. I'm sure you see now that the amenities above don't match what has previously been reported for the Wyndham, so that could have been a tip-off that this may not have been that property.

Thank you using our HOTWIRE link to begin your purchase and for sharing your results with the board, helping us add this property to the Hotwire Hotel List.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi thereuare,

I saw the ammenities didn't match the Wyndham, but didn't have a clue which hotel they did. So, I took the leap of faith, and booked it.

After receiving the Eisenhower on Hotwire, I did some more checking (which, obviously I should have done BEFORE jumping the gun). :)

It seems I paid pretty close to rack rate for the hotel, so now I'm more disappointed. There are also apparently two "towers" to the Eisenhower. Tower II is either much newer or more recently renovated and gets much better reviews than Tower I. The property itself seems to be about 5 miles out of town, which is also disappointing.

I'm going to call them to confirm my reservation as non-smoking, so I'll ask which "tower" I'm in, if they'll tell me. I'll post a review when we get home with more information.

Brenda

Hi Dahammer,

We've heard about Aplachaian Brewing - we'll be checking it out for sure! Maybe drown our sorrows about our room!

I called to confirm our room as a non-smoking room (which it was), but was told by a very pleasant young man that we were, indeed in the dreaded "Tower I" with 2 full beds, and that he was very sorry, but there was nothing he could do. He looked at several different options for me, but came back with the same answer - they're completely booked Saturday night, and he can't move us. He freely admitted that the rooms in Tower I need renovated badly.

He also mentioned (by mistake), that we were booked at "the $86" rate. When I corrected him, and told him I paid $116 for the room (plus taxes and fees), he was very apologetic, but explained that the $86 was what THEY were getting from Hotwire. So Hotwire is making $30 / room per night or 1/3!

He also said that had I called the hotel directly, I could have gotten this $86 rate myself on the phone. So, it seems that Hotwire didn't do me ANY favors, for sure.

Oh, well. This was the first time I'd ever booked through Hotwire, and in hindsight I'm disappointed in both the price and the result. I doubt I'll use Hotwire again after this. :)

Beergirl

The only way to see if the special rate is available is to call and inquire, but if the hotel is sold out, why would they discount the rate to $86. Hotels that participate on HOTWIRE don't get the entire room rate, but I doubt that they would give $30 per night as a fee. This could have been a desk clerk that was trying to make you feel badly about booking through a third party rather than through the hotel.

I have only been skunked by HOTWIRE once or twice out of about a hundred stays, so try to make the best of this stay have a positive attitude and have an extra pint :)

PS, make sure all of the amenities are available at the time of check in, if any amenity is out of service, call HOTWIRE immediately and they may issue you some hot Dollars towards a future stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]