Priceline Hotel: Should we bother with Brooklyn?

traveling smart
By traveling smart,
in

Dear expert priceline winners:

I haven't read too much about whether bidding in Brooklyn is a viable alternative for Manhattan. Has anyone tried? How safe are the neighborhoods? Is it convenient to get into Manhattan? Can i expect to win with lower bids than what we've been seeing?

If not, should I also consider Long Island City? Which is better, Brooklyn or Long Island City?

Your feedback is appreciated!

there may be better options for you than Brooklyn or Long Island City. Can you post your dates of travel, maximum bid per day and minimum star rating and we can advise? Will you have a car or are you flying in, which in this case, please include the name of the airport.

Thanks for offering to help!

We are flying into White Plains on 9/30. From 09/30-10/02, we will be renting a car and going into Connecticut.

On 10/02, we'll drop our car off and take the train from White Plains into Grand Central Station.

We're looking for a place to stay between 10/02-10/05. Our itinerary's quite unplanned. We're hoping to go to the MOMA on Friday evening, 10/03, to take advantage of their free admission.

My max bid for 10/02-10/05, I'm hoping, is $155. Right now, I have a back up reservation at the Quallity Inn Brooklyn for about $120 a night. But the tripadvisor reviews are making me have serious doubts about it! :)

From 10/05-10/07, I already won a bid from priceline, for Hilton NY in MTW for $155/night.

I stayed one night at the Quality Inn on my last trip and thought it was quite fine. Yes the location seems a little sketchy and the window in the reception may scare some people, but the subway is just up the street and there are always police officers around there. I parked my car in the street and nothing happened to it. That being said, the subway runs litteraly next to the hotel which can be very annoying but it didn't bother us we laughed at it, depends on the type of traveller you are.

We've also stayed at eh Holiday Inn and the Comfort Inn in Park Slope and thought it was a really good deal. Again location seems sketchy but it's perfectly fine and safe and a short walk to the subway and free parking in the street as well as free breakfast and it's a 15 minutes subway ride into Manhattan. I was lucky enough to score the Holiday Inn for $66 on HOTWIRE back in february but have seen it over $300 at times and also got the Comfort Inn for $90 on PRICELINE last month. You may also want to consider the Hyatt Regency on the Hudson, in Jersey City, which regularly goes for around or less than $100 and is a next to a PATH station that takes you downtown.

We've also stayed at the Holiday Inn and the Comfort Inn in Park Slope and thought it was a really good deal. Again location seems sketchy but it's perfectly fine and safe and a short walk to the subway and free parking in the street as well as free breakfast and it's a 15 minutes subway ride into Manhattan. I was lucky enough to score the Holiday Inn for $66 on Hotwire back in february but have seen it over $300 at times and also got the Comfort Inn for $90 on Priceline last month.

can you please post these wins? While these hotels have been previously reported, having more data points with dates and bid amounts makes this board relevant and a free valuable resource to all. Its all about give and take.

Please use this PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links for your future purchases.

• 2 months later...

You may have already booked something but I guess I will leave this as a general comment about Brooklyn.......

The 3 hotels in Brooklyn I would shoot for on the list would be in this order:

Brooklyn Bridge Marriott - Right in the middle of Brooklyn's Downtown and very convenient to Manhattan.

Park Slope Holiday Inn Express - Not technically in Park Slope but right next a subway line which will take you into Manhattan and down Broadway (The R Train). Brooklyn's Park Slope is just up the hill and there are some great stores and restaurants on 5th Avenue

Comfort Inn Brooklyn Bridge - Convenient to Brooklyn's Atlantic Center which is the transportation hub of the borough. The immediate area is a little sketchy and is nowhere near the Brooklyn Bridge.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]