Priceline Hotel: AMSTERDAM

RedDevil
By RedDevil,
in

Hi all, 1st post so go easy on me!

Looking for 4-5* in central Amsterdam. Was looking at Grand K but slightly put off by Sciamano thread!

Does anyone else have experience of this hotel? Online reviews are not outstanding but fairl good, but as Sciamano states maybe they didn't get the 'Priceline' rooms.

Looked at Moevenpick (thought they made Ice Cream!) & others, too far from centre and went to Ams years ago and anywhere behind Central Station was a no go area.

Any other suggestions, help etc etc gratefully accepted.

Many Thanks

RD

Ps:Great site, thanks to Blindman!

I don't have experience with the Grand K, but I chose not to bid for a 4* in Amsterdam because of the Moevenpick. The area is much improved, with lots of new construction, but it's still isolated and I still didn't want to be returning there at 1 or 2 in the morning. Have you taken a look at HOTWIRE? That might allow you to focus in on a likely hotel.

As WillTravel suggests, have you checked HOTWIRE to see if anything appears within your budget?

What is your maximum budget for this stay? What is the best rate you're able to find thru conventional booking sources?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Tried Hotwire but best price was over $300!

I rang Grand Hotel K and they said if i did get a room theere via PRICELINE i would have the option to upgrade to deluxe and pay difference between standard and double rate. Given how cheap the rooms are, because they put you in the worst (priceline) rooms. Hopelfully an upgrade would negate this. Has anyone upgraded a PRICELINE room and is this in fact possible?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, been away. Thanks for replies. Conventional prices are more than double.

Just checked HOTWIRE again and found this for $437:

Details for your 4-star hotel in Amsterdam South

Hotel Details

Check in:

Thu, Sep 18, 2008

Check out:

Sun, Sep 21, 2008

Hotel Amenities

Smoke Free Rooms

Guest rooms at this hotel are always smoke-free.

Fitness Center

Guests have access to exercise equipment; an additional charge may apply.

Restaurant(s)

Property offers at least one restaurant on the premises; hours and days of operation may vary.

Business Center

Guests have access to business equipment and services; an additional charge may apply.

High-speed Internet Access

Guestrooms are equipped with high-speed Internet access; an extra charge may apply.

Customer Reviews

Traveler Rating(4.0 out of 5)

What's this?

Based on:

60+ customer reviews

Last Reviewed:

August 2008

Amsterdam South area map

Please anyone help me to ID and also with a bidding strategy.

Thanks

According to others Moevenpick can be had for about $250 dollars incl. taxes etc. for 2 nights (i know i need 3 but only price in BB is for 2). Hotel looks really nice on Tripadvisor.

I am aware that it is not Central but it is only 10-15 minute walk from the centre, and even quicker by cab!

Any thoughts and comments regarding the Moevenpick would be greatly appreciated, ta

Further: I think the Hotire hotel is the Holiday Inn Amsterdam De Boelelaan, which doe not look as good/nice as the Moevenpick

In addition to WillTravel's comments, i don't see a Moevenpick win for your exact dates (even 2 out of the 3 dates) so i don't think you can be assured that the rates of that win will be available for your own dates.

Is SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID an option? (assuming you can risk the upgrade to the Grand K)

If you search HOTWIRE again but change the search to 2adults/1child, are different hotels offered? If so, are any within your budget (sometimes when searching for triple occupancy, especially in Europe, the rates can go up substantially)

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks Thereu are, i had not noticed that thread and it is very helpful.

Do you think i can restart a new strategy in $ via the .com site or i am i screwed now they have my details.

Is this what you were trying to bring to my attention in the non-US thread:

I just read in Priceline.com Tems and conditions in the subject International Use, that some countries are now available to use this site, (some of this are, France, Mexico Germany, United Kingdom, Italy, Brazil, Sweden, Canada, Spain, Swiss...., and some others) How ever now you can update your payment optiopns in your Priceline profile, and you have the option to capture your real address even your real country.

I would be grateful is this is confirmed as i cannot find it on priceline TandCs

Ignore above as have found, was looking in the wrong place. Can't see the woods for the trees!!!

Please could anyone provide me with a bidding strategy from here on in, thanks

Want to be within 10 min taxi journey of city centre.

South seems to be the 4* Holiday Inn Amsterdam De Boelelaan which i would like to avoid as well. Reviews OK but not great.

Definitely not Schipol/Airport and nobody seem to have won anything recently in East.

Can go up to $175 a night or maybe more but concerned about Grand K as seems to come up as 15-20% more than the Moevenpick, our preference. May just be out of rooms for there though!

The problem is that you can't bid CCMQ, because you might get the Grand K. No one can give you a strategy that ensures you avoid it, if you include CCMQ in your bid.

You can't bid South, because you might get the Holiday Inn. Similarly, no strategy can make you certain to avoid it, if you bid for South.

As you said, you don't want Schipol-Airport.

The East zone is not available with Priceline.com Name Your Own Price. There is the North zone, but I think you'd find that inconvenient, and it only goes up to 3*.

There are some circumstances where PRICELINE is not a great choice, and this might be one.

Starting my 5* AMS Oct bid in a week or so. Been following wins both here and on TOBB.

Not happy with paying an upcharge to an acceptable room. That stinks and opens the door for Hotels to abuse PL users.

Maybe PL doesn't care less.

I may split my 4 night stay into two separate bids and maybe I'll get different properties. Certainly not going to tolerate the Kras giving me a 2* room for the entire stay then extorting money for an upgrade. That's directly contrary to any implied PL quality promise.

I usually use Starwood points and stay at the Pulitzer but it's very much a hit or miss experience, so it's time for something different.

Please excuse my ignorance, i am a noob. What is TOBB?

Decided that if we get the Grand K will take it and if room not up to scratch will complain very loudly in reception. If i get nowhere will continue my complaint next day at 3pm, the busiest check in time and when reception will be at its busiest!

Thanks

'The Other Bulletin Board' refers to the *** website. (code does not allow rendering of the URL here) you can email the administrator.

Amsterdam is hard to snag good results on PL , Sciamano's thread makes that clear.

90% of recent CCMQ 5* bids have resulted in the Krasnapolsky who are known to assign sub-standard inventory.

(I emailed them asking for explanation and challenging their policy)

4* can produce some overrated lower star results also, even sometimes a Kras 'upgrade'

The Movenpick is appearing at 85% of all CCMQ bids. The location has challenged some folks. It doesn't really bother me.

The newly refurbished Renaissance has appeared at the 4* level recently...but only rarely does it come up. Amsterdam is very much a crap shoot for PL. I am going to bid on a one nighter (if the result is good, I may exercise the PL further stay option) I have flexibility to do a day by day reservation strategy while I am actually there. It can backfire and lock you out but I can always bail on the opaque model and check into a cash backup or point award property.

18-21 Sept 08.

Would rather the Moevenpick, not bang in the centre but i don't think it is that badly located.

Even bearing in mind Sciamao's review of the Grand and some others i've read i think if it comes in at $150(max) per night inclusive then it is still a reasonable price. And if the room is rubbish then i will attend reception and scream and scream and scream until i'm sick! Or they give us a better room!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]