PHX - compact ... $12 (Hertz)

thesqueegeekid
By thesqueegeekid,
in

Bid through savingsbarn for a friend's trip to PHX.

This was an easy bid .... after winning the hotel, it said at the top add a compact for $13 ... so, I bid $12 and got it. Now, on the acceptance it says upgrade to a midsize for an extra $2 or a full size for $4 .... which is a great future option.

Sky Harbor Airport

Pick-Up Date and Time:

Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 4:00 PM

Drop-Off Date and Time:

Monday, July 26, 2004 - 8:00 AM

Your Offer Price: $12.00

Total Rental Days: 4

Subtotal: $48.00

Taxes & Fees: $46.08

Total Charges: $94.08

I'm curious about the $48.00 in taxes and fees for 4 days. That seems kind of high. I recently went to Reno, NV and rented a car from Thrifty through Southwest Airlines web site. My rental was from Friday at 2:00 PM to Monday at 10:00 AM.

Base Rate $51.00

Tax & Fees $16.46 (Sales Tax, Motor Car Rental Tax, Surcharge, Concession Fee, and Vehicle License Fee)

Total $67.46

I felt the base rate was reasonable and I plugged the same number into Priceline and their Taxes and Fees were twice as much so I went with the Thrifty car using the Southwest web site. As a side note, on my confirmation I was renting a Chrysler Sebring or similiar compact car. When I checked in at the Thrifty counter I was assigned a Dodge Neon. I pointed out that my confirmation was for a Sebring or similiar compact car. I was told the Neon was a compact car and what the Southwest web site said was wrong about the Sebring. Thrifty wouldn't budge from their position. The problem was with Southwest Airlines web site. I later confirmed on the Thrifty web site that the Sebring was a specialty car and not a compact car. I have yet to talk to SWA about the discrepency. I'm just throwing this out so others can learn from my experience and for discussion.

John

The taxes on rental cars here in PHX are the worst!But hey,someone has to pay for this nice baseball stadium we have here.

Thanks for your experience with Southwest and cars,I get all my rates from them.I have a full size rental this week in SMF and it better not be a YUGO when I get there,as I have a few big bags. :)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]