Hotwire Hotel: Convention congestion

tleev
By tleev,
in

I am coming to SF on Labor Day weekend. A quick perusal of the Convention schedule threw me into a slight panic this morning, as the Slow Food Convention that weekend is predicted to bring in 30,000 and need for 1000 hotel rooms. I found a HOTWIRE deal today (and the past couple of days) for $146 nightly for 4.5* (Embarcadero), which I believe is the Le Meridien, for the duration of my stay (8/30--9/3).

My original plan was to wait until closer to the date and try to bid lower on PRICELINE, because I've gotten hotel rooms in SF for under $100, but with the conflict of the convention, should I just go ahead and reserve the HOTWIRE deal while it's still there? I would love to stay at the Le Meridien, but I'm obviously wanting to save money if you don't think it will be a problem to still reserve rooms via PRICELINE closer to the date.

Any advice that you can give is much appreciated. Thank you, and I love this site (which I only discovered a week or two ago...much better than the alternative)!!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

...that weekend is predicted to bring in 30,000 and need for 1000 hotel rooms
I know not everyone needs a hotel room, but it would seem as if more rooms than 1000 would be needed.

The Le Meridien is selling for $300+ for these dates, so if your ID is correct that would be a good rate. The question is whether you want to "pay up" for this hotel or try to win a hotel (now) via PRICELINE... perhaps getting a better rate but not ending up with the Le Meridien.

As far as grabbing this now or waiting, if you waited and this deal slipped away, what would your thoughts be on a lower rated hotel? (or do you really only want a 4* or higher property)

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I will use the links provided when I proceed. I'm guessing that the ID is correct, as I can't find another 4.5* in the Embarcadero area aside from the Le Meridien.

I'm getting away for a much-needed vacation, and I LOVE hotel rooms, so I would prefer to stay 4* or above (that makes me sound like such a snob...I'm not, I promise!)...I love the squishy beds, etc. But you may be right, that if I'm just not able to get it, I might have to settle for less than 4* to get a lower price with that pressure on hotel inventory.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll let you know what I end up doing.

What are the amenities associated with the 4.5* property you're being offered thru HOTWIRE?

Just to clarify my thoughts above... if you'd really only want an "upper tier" hotel, none may be available thru the opaque suppliers as the conference attendees begin to book their hotel rooms, and i'd be more inclined to lock in a good deal sooner rather than later. On the otherhand, if you're flexible and wouldn't mind a 'lesser' hotel if that was all that was avaiable for a good price, then it would make sense to roll the dice a bit and wait.

Regardless, it's a calcuated risk, and there is a further discussion in the related link ("book early or close to arrival") in our PRICELINE FAQ.

Thanks in advance for using our PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links once you decide to move act upon this stay.

Keep us updated and/or feel free to ask any additional questions which may arise.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

There are conventions in SF every week and there are plenty of 4* hotels to accomodate them. I really don't think you need to worry about not getting a room, especially if you're willing to spend $146.

Probably you can win a 4* on PRICELINE for less than $146, maybe as low as $90-100. (I haven't checked rates for your specific dates.)

But Le Meridien is one of the best liked 4* hotels in SF and if you win a PRICELINE 4* for $90 or $100 it probably won't be Le Meridien, which usually has a higher Priceline rate when it comes up.

It's up to you then whether you'd like to pay more for the "sure thing" or gamble on an unknown (but possibly a good thing too) for less.

The details for the 4.5* Embarcadero:

Amenities:

Fitness Center

Business Center

Restaurant(s)

High-speed internet access

Rated a "Best Value".

Thanks for all your help. I'm actually flexible with my dates, so I may look around at some other weeks for options, just to see what I can find. I usually use PRICELINE and find something for less than $100, so that's my default, even if I have to go down a star level.

Thanks again! I'll let you know what happens!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]