2 children

Amenities:

-airport shuttle

-complimentary breakfast

-fitness center

-pool

-laundry

-wireless internet

I am very disappointed my "win" was the La Quinta Inn, which HOTWIRE has an example of its 2* hotels. It's just another example of star inflation.

I called HOTWIRE customer service--the rep said that a ratings member had recently visited the hotel and rated it as a 2.5*, and that the hotel was an "exception." She emphasized that Hotwire is not bound by the list of examples because as the website states, "Hotel brands are provided as examples only; Hotwire does not guarantee you will stay in one of the hotels listed above. Some brands feature hotels in multiple star-rating categories."

I understand that a specific hotel might not fall into an example category, but it seems to happen too often that a hotel is an exception to the rest of its chain. I have been to the La Quinta in Costa Mesa and it doesn't appear any different than the average La Quinta. How can an average hotel of a chain listed as a 2* be sold as an exception, especially when the La Quinta Inn & Suites brand (also a 2* example) is generally nicer than the La Quinta Inn brand? Also, the La Quinta Inn brand has many newer and nicer hotels than the Costa Mesa hotel, yet the brand must be predominanty 2* if it is an "example." I wouldn't think a brand could be an example if the largest number of its hotels didn't fall into that category.

If I had known that the La Quinta Inn Costa Mesa was a possibility in my bidding for a 2.5* (which I expected to be the quality of an Amerisuites, Quality Suites, or Country Inn & Suites), I would never have bid on it.

Any tips on receiving a refund? Although I know it's a low probability, I've heard it is at least a possibility.

Welcome to BetterBidding, lots-of-travel. Sorry that you're disappointed with your win, especially since it's a two-week stay.

I've stayed at the Costa Mesa La Quinta myself and while I didn't have any problems there I agree that it's one of LQ's older properties, not one of the newer suite-type La Quintas that might merit a higher than typical rating. Unfortunately Hotwire's wording---"Hotel brands are provided as examples only...Some brands feature hotels in multiple star-rating categories"---seems to protect them from having to issue a refund. If Hotwire considers this a 2.5* La Quinta I agree with you though that HOTWIRE should remove La Quinta from their list of typical 2* hotels.

And the Hooters next door doesn't elevate the overall ambience.

That said, I'm not sure you'll find a better deal than $72 in Costa Mesa zone for your dates, with two beds guaranteed and free breakfast for four. Hotwire's 2* is $82 and Hotwire's 3* is $79 but doesn't have a breakfast icon. If HOTWIRE had refunded your money where would you have stayed?

For extended stays like this consider purchasing just one or two nights at first so that you know what you're getting. Then if you like the outcome purchase the rest.

Thanks for the post.

Thank you for the advice. I realized after I made the reservation that I should have separated my stay into 4-7 night periods in case I didn't like the hotel.

An update on the La Quinta Inn Costa Mesa:

We checked in on 6/29 and received a room with 2 double beds, which is what I would expect. What I had hoped not to find (but partly expected it) was the terrible location and ambience (2 parking spaces from the Hooters and on top of the interstate), the dirty carpet, the poor quality building materials, a gap between the door and the doorframe, the colony of ants in the bathroom and around the window and door, and a clump of hair on the bathroom floor.

The advertised breakfast was gas-station quality, prepackaged pastries and sausage rolls with cereal and a juice machine--definitely not a breakfast for which I would have paid extra.

The main equipment in the fitness center was not in working order (it literally had yellow tape around it and a note that it was out-of-order).

We did not stay at the hotel.

You ask about our alternatives. We could have stayed at a 4* (the Hilton on Bristol) for $75/night (my children are young--we did not need a guarantee of 2 beds) or a 3.5* for $59/night for at least one of the weeks. The parking charges and no complimentary breakfast would have been well worth it over the La Quinta.

We have not received a refund from Hotwire, but plan to pursue legal action if the company is not willing. I believe that HOTWIRE clearly uses deceptive trade practices.

Sorry to hear the La Quinta was such a disappointment, lots-of-travel.

If you haven't already talked to HOTWIRE's Customer Service I would definitely bring up the Hooters angle, in addition to the fact that Hotwire says La Quinta is a 2* chain. It's more than Hooters being next door to La Quinta; the two businesses share a common parking lot with no barrier in between. When the Hooters side of the lot gets full, as it does, their customers park in front of La Quinta guest rooms and walk over. You stated in your HOTWIRE search that you were bringing two children, so Hotwire was aware; and you didn't feel this was a safe environment for your children so you had to leave.

Good luck!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]