Priceline Hotel: another DT Seattle question

tweetybird_bren
By tweetybird_bren,
in

I saw in the other DT Seattle post that PRICELINE puts Pike Place and Space Needle into one zone. I really want to be fairly close to Pike Street as I plan to walk down there with my infant daughter several times during the day and return to the hotel for naps. Am I better off taking the higher HOTWIRE price versus trying to bid on PRICELINE? I've never used either of these sites before, so I'm a bit anxious about the whole thing since I can't see every amenity prior to booking.

We'll be there 7/16-7/20.

Thanks for your help!

When you really want to stay in the area "Pike Street" use the HOTWIRE link.

When you choose the PRICELINE link, there is a real chance that you get a hotel in the space needle area.

How many * do you want?

When you know that, you can see on this forum which hotel/ area the most of us won. Maybe it is a indication for your chance. But when you bit at priceline you always can get a hotel near to space needle.

Ruby Tuesday

It all depends on how close you need to be to Pike Street, and how much extra you're willing to pay for it. The 4* hotels on PRICELINE are reasonably close to Pike Street, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of available rooms for your dates at these hotels. For hotels below 4*, Hotwire may be the way to go because there's no way to prevent PRICELINE from putting you in a hotel closer to the Space Needle. But again, how much are you willing to pay for a good location? Right now, the HOTWIRE hotels in the Pike Place area are well over $200/night for your dates. I would recommend booking a backup hotel room through conventional channels that you can cancel without penalty if you find a better deal.

It hasn't happened yet on Priceline, so far as I know, but the relatively new Pan Pacific could theoretically be won as a 4* hotel, and it's quite far from Pike Street - it's more in the Space Needle area. Of course, if I got the Pan Pacific I'd be quite happy with it, but I know someone might see it differently if you want to hang around Pike Street with a baby.

On Hotwire, if you choose less than a 4* hotel, you can still get a relatively far-out hotel even in the Pike Street zone, because of how the zone is drawn (you can get a hotel that is in Capitol Hill or out by the stadium). If you follow the lists here, you have an excellent chance of getting a central hotel, but it can't be guaranteed.

The Pike Street Suites are really good for traveling with children, as they include a kitchenette and free breakfast. Although it's at the "top" of Pike Street, I think this is pretty convenient, particularly considering you can walk about 1.5 blocks to a free downtown bus.

Thank you all for your input. I think I'll stick with the more safe route and either book through AAA, the hotels themselves, or Hotels.com so I know exactly where I'm going to be. I wish I could be brave enough this time, but I'm way too type-A to go with the flow and with my recent luck, I'll end up at the worst location for us for this trip. I'd hate to be somewhere I didn't feel safe wandering around with my daughter or have to catch a bus/monorail and lug the stroller, etc.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]