Australia Sydney Marriott Sydney Harbor

neo1
By neo1,
in

Period: June 2004

Nights Stayed: 2

Marriott Sydney Harbour (5*)

The Marriott Sydney Harbor is conveniently located near the Circular Quay area, where many of the Sydney attractions such as the Sydney Opera House, Harbor Bridge, The Rocks, Contemporary Museum, The Custom House, Royal Botanic Gardens are located close by. It is only 2 blocks from the main ferry terminal and subway train station. The location is very convenient for people without a rental car. The upscale Four Seasons and Shangri-La hotels are also near by. The hotel basically has 3 sides, one facing the Harbor Bridge, One facing the city and one facing the Opera house.

Check-in:

Check-in process was prompt but when I arrived around 8:00AM, the room was not ready. I left luggage at the bellmen and upon return, the luggage is placed inside the room.

Facilities:

It has a nice but small sized pool. I did not see anyone using it at the time. There are not Whirlpool but separate sauna for men and women. A 24 hours fitness room with decent equipments is available on the 4th floor.

Restaurants:

I did not eat at any of the restaurant in the hotel. There is a sign in the room that guests can get a 20% discount at the Icons restaurant. A Starbucks is across the street and a McDonald is just around the corner.

Room:

The room size is good. On the first day I got a bridge view room on the 14th floor that I can see the contemporary museum and the Sydney Bridge very well. On the second day, I got a room facing the Sydney Opera House but it is on the 6th floor so the view is obstructed. The custom house is right below. The TV channels are very limited to only about 10 or so.

My Ratings:

Location: 5/5. Excellent location. Can not get much better than this.

Room: 3.5/5. The room size is not very large. On the Harbor/Opera house view room, I got separate shower/bath but not in the Harbor Bridge facing room. I got a broken chair in my room.

Service: 4/5. I did not utilize much of the hotel

• 5 months later...

Stayed for 1 week, EXCELLENT location, staff is very helpful to 1ST time travelers to Australia. Had no trouble taking the train to the Circualar Quay stop. Decided to pay an extra 40 AUS=$31 US to upgrade to EXEC. Floor. IMHO well worth the $. Breakfast is wonderful assortment of hot and cold food items. The lounge is open throughout the day and evening appetisers consist of a rotating buffet and self service open bar all you want Hard and, soft, and after dinner drinks till 9:30 pm.Also you get a room on the higher floors with upgraded amenitys and nightly turndown service. As far as sight seeing you could not ask for a better location . Their is an abudance of information at the Sydney tourist office, located near the Rocks.Decent fitnes room, and small pool.. All and all are real gem for Priceline.

• 1 month later...

We stayed here for 4 nights Jan. 18-22nd, 2005 after a cruise on an $85 PL winning bid. I had called in a request for 2 beds, non smoking & a room on a high floor. I also let them know that there would be 3 people. I gave them our Marriott Number and asked for an early check-in as we would be disembarking early. The registration desk personnel offered us an upgrade to the executive level with access to the executive lounge (Australian $99 for 2, $140 aud for 3). As Southbay noted, it was an excellent buy! We had our breakfasts, the snacks in the evening were enough for a meal & there were plenty of hard & soft beverages in the lounge plus excellent desserts. Also there was an all day cappuccino, cafe latte, coffee, chocolate machine & we were encouraged to take bottled water on our excursions. We had a great view of the Harbour Bridge from our 29th room floor, lots of amenities, great service & the location in Circular Quay as described before was excellent! We were steps to the ferries, the Opera House, the Rocks, & took the train from the Quay to downtown & to the Blue Mtns. Also, we arrived at the hotel at 8:45 a.m. and were in our room within 30 minutes! Definitely a 5 star experience!

• 11 months later...

I completed a 3-night stay at the Marriott Sydney Harbour from January 5-8, 2006. My winning bid was $133/night, which was won back in August through Priceline. When I checked out, I saw that Priceline had paid AU$142.18 per night for the room.

The hotel is located steps away from Circular Quay which is a transportation hub and therefore convenient to the ferries (to Manly, for example), CityRail, and buses going anywhere. Circular Quay is also adjacent to where cruise ships are docked, so I was able to walk 3 blocks to embark my cruise. I took the Airport Shuttle to the hotel at a cost of AU$10. Other alternatives would be taxi (AU$30-35, depending on traffic), and rail (AU$12

• 4 years later...

Really nice Thread! Very useful to newbie's traveling to Sydney...

Sydney is wonderful place to be in and there is no other location to in other then Opera House, I have been there this New Year , had wonderful celebrations there..This march i will be there again on my business trip and having seen this thread i want to lookin Marriot for stay. So, anyone can pls post how much a

luxury suite cost me?

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]