Hotwire Hotel: ID'ing 4* Portland (Greater Downtown)...

slruud
By slruud,
in

For the guru's around here, Hotwire has a 4* in the Greater Downtown area of Portland for 8/28 - 8/30 for $104 a nite with amenities of restaurant and pool. Any idea what hotel it is? Have bid up to $85 on Priceline so far, and have cancelable backup at Marriott City Center for $139/nite. Not in any hurry, but just curious.

This property has not yet been identified, but perhaps the Marriott Waterfront?

The Hilton has a pool and restaurant but i've discounted that as 'not likely' since previously reported at the 3.5* level, and the Embassy Suites also has a pool and restaurant, but not likely a 4* and would probably have more amenities than the just these two (unless they chose not to show them)... so these are possibilities too, although i suspect much less likely than the Marriott Waterfront (although i'm far from certain this is the property as well, although it seems to fit)

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

This, I believe, is the 4* property that Colfax was referring to in this thread started by nameht: Portland Oregon (those were the icons showing at the time, if I recall, but they've now changed, so I can't be sure). If it is, I don't think it's the Marriott Downtown Waterfront because the Marriott was one of the many hotels that was sold out for the dates that nameht was bidding for.

Hotwire's description for the pool icon does not specifically say that the pool must be on the premises, unlike the description for the restaurant icon. If the pool can be off the premises, then my best guess is the RiverPlace Hotel, which offers use of the pool in the nearby RiverPlace Athletic Club. Travelocity's listing for this hotel shows a pool as an amenity as well.

If the pool must be on the premises, then the Embassy Suites is the most likely candidate. It's quite plausible that Hotwire would rate it as a 4*, but nobody has reported getting this hotel before through either Hotwire or Priceline, and I don't see why the hotel would suddenly start selling through Hotwire. I don't think it's the Hilton, unless the Executive Tower is now being listed separately from the main building.

It's a tough ID because the hotel doesn't show up in Vacation Packages and no TripAdvisor info is provided.

It's not Benson, Vintage Plaza, Monaco, or Avalon. In Vacation Packages those display different icons than you posted.

I vote with tilepusher for Embassy Suites, based mostly on the pool icon. Most of the 4* in Downtown Portland don't have a pool. I think it would be a stretch for RiverPlace to display a pool icon when they only offer access to a pool in a separate facility not owned by the hotel, even if it's nearby.

Embassy Suites are usually 3.5* not 4* but I think the one Downtown could qualify as 4*. It's a grand old hotel that's been fully restored and probably on a par with other hotels like Monaco and Vintage Plaza that Hotwire rates 4*.

I vote with tilepusher for Embassy Suites

I was actually leaning more toward the RiverPlace Hotel, despite my uncertainty about the pool situation. The Embassy Suites is a definite possibility, but it just doesn't feel right to me. It's a popular hotel that's apparently done just fine without PRICELINE and HOTWIRE, so why would it suddenly start selling heavily discounted rooms through Hotwire? I looked up the listing for the Riverplace Hotel on Hotels.com, and it too lists a swimming pool as an amenity, as well as a whirlpool and sauna (none of this appears on the hotel's own website, though). And it also mentions that the guestrooms are undergoing renovations though August -- a good reason for the hotel to offer discounts on HOTWIRE.

The Embassy Suites is currently rated 3* on PRICELINE, though I believe it was rated 4* at one time. I don't expect anyone to report a winning bid for this hotel anytime soon.

I was actually leaning more toward the RiverPlace Hotel, despite my uncertainty about the pool situation.

Sorry if I misstated your assessment of the situation, tilepusher.

It's a popular hotel that's apparently done just fine without PRICELINE and HOTWIRE, so why would it suddenly start selling heavily discounted rooms through Hotwire?

I don't know Embassy Suites occupancy rate but I think any hotel that has even a few empty rooms is a candidate for showing up on Priceline or Hotwire. I doubt ES sells out 100% every night. Unless you have inside information that Embassy never participates (and I wouldn't expect you to post that here if you do) ES seems like a possibility to me.

But no sense in quibbling over it. We'll find out what hotel it is when someone pulls the trigger and makes a purchase.

Oh, I agree that the Embassy Suites is certainly a possibility (and, I think, the only possibility other than the RiverPlace). My educated guess of the RiverPlace was based on

1. The hotel's known track record of selling through Priceline, and

2. The current renovations at the hotel.

But I could very easily be wrong. I hope that somebody can eventually tell us what this hotel is.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to confuse the issue even more, Hotwire is offering a 4* in the Greater Downtown area with no amenities for $132/nite. I'm aware of the Hotel Modera, a converted Days Inn, which I see on various sites being offered as a 4*, but with no real amenites, i.e. restaurant, fitness, business.

For the searchs I have tried, there is a 2* hotel with no amenities for $52-$54 per night. I don't see a 4* with no amenities appear, however.

I sure hope someone reports on the subject 4* -- it would be a good buy if it is in the real downtown area and not in the Riverplace location.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]