Priceline Hotel: x* San Diego (ZONE???) Hilton

chut1
By chut1,
in

I will be travelling to San Diego in September and would like to stay as follows:

* In Carlsbad, preferably 4* from September 21-23. I checked the Sheraton rates and they are at $199/night. I would prefer to pay under $100/night and if necessary, could bid for a 3*. The Grand Pacific Palisades rates are $159/night.

* In Coronado or Coastal, preferably 4* from September 23-26. I checked the rates for the Hyatt and Hilton in La Jolla and Mission Bay and they range from $214 to $249/night. The Loews and Marriot in Coronado rates are from $229-$245.

Any assistance on the starting bid and/or if I am bidding too early is appreciated. Thank you.

Welcome to BetterBidding, chut1.

Priceline doesn't have a Carlsbad zone. It's the North County Coastal zone. We suspect the 4* hotel there is the Sheraton Carlsbad Resort but nobody's reported winning it yet so there's no bid history to suggest what kinds of bids the Sheraton accepts or how far in advance.

What's the Sheraton's rate for your dates? I would try up to 50 or 60% of that now, if that's within your limit. If that doesn't work I'd sit back and wait for some bid history to come in on that hotel. Or try up to $75 or so for the 3*.

For your Coastal/Coronado dates I wouldn't bid higher than $100 this far in advance.

Good luck and please let us know how your bidding goes.

Thanks Colfax.

When you say I shouldn't bid more than $100 for Coastal/Coronado, does that mean that I should try every so often but never go higher than $100? Is there a point in time when I should above that? I would like to book as soon as possible so I have it but I guess availability isn't really a problem with so many hotels in those two zones?

While you wait for Colfax to reply, i'll add my interpretation that he was using that figure based upon your own comment:

would prefer to pay under $100/night

Since $100 would still be a very nice discount to a conventionally book room.

If you are willing to bid higher and/or need help with a suggested bidding strategy, let us know.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks Colfax.

When you say I shouldn't bid more than $100 for Coastal/Coronado, does that mean that I should try every so often but never go higher than $100? Is there a point in time when I should above that? I would like to book as soon as possible so I have it but I guess availability isn't really a problem with so many hotels in those two zones?

Even if you'd said your limit was $150 I wouldn't recommend bidding over $100 this far ahead, not for a Sunday/Monday stay in late September. Those shouldn't be high demand dates. If you're rejected to $100 in all three zones now then I think you're bidding too early rather than too low.

Have you tried bidding to $100 yet? If rejected I'd keep trying to $100 in all three zones about every 7 or 10 days now. I expect PRICELINE will get something near $100 in one of those zones before September but I can't predict how soon that will happen.

If you're feeling insecure about not having anything booked you can make a cancellable reservation somewhere now.

You can also try higher than $100 now, maybe to $120, if securing something soon is more important to you than achieving a lower price later.

Good luck!

I actually do have a cancellable reservation at the Dana on Mission Bay for $175/night. I'm pretty sure I can get a lower rate by bidding so I will just do as you suggest and try to bid every 7-10 days. I have gone up to $101 on all 3 locations but have been unsuccessful so far.

Does anybody know the difference between the North County Coastal and Del Mar in terms of beaches. We are going to Legoland and while North County Coastal might get me closer, I don't think Del Mar is too far away so I may also bid for Del Mar if someone suggests it.

Thanks.

I actually do have a cancellable reservation at the Dana on Mission Bay for $175/night. I'm pretty sure I can get a lower rate by bidding

I'm sure you can too, eventually. Dana on Mission has also been reported on PRICELINE, but not in the zones you've been bidding. It's a 3* in Point Loma-Shelter Island zone. I can't answer your beach question but please keep us posted.

• 3 years later...

Can you please confirm the actual details of your win so we can edit the topic title accordingly:

Star Rating

Zone

Winning Bid price

... you can still view this information by going to PRICELINE and clicking the MY PROFILE>>MY TRIPS link near the top right of their home page.

Please post your wins to the board as you receive them so that the information can best help other users.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for checking.

Please remember to follow-up your threads as you receive a win/make a decision for the stay so that the information can help others in a timely manner.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Thanks.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]