Hotwire Hotel: Hotel near Penn Station

ANGEL03
By ANGEL03,
in

Hi,

I'm sure you all have heard this question before...but would someone please help me locate a decent hotel near Penn Station? I tried using hotwire but only 1 shows up in that area...

I'm staying in New York from May 31-June 2. I'm looking to spend under $200 per night.

I'm going with my husband and our 4 year old daughter...we don't plan to rent a car so we'd prefer something within walking distance. We're planning to visit American Girl, NBA store...basically shop all day LOL

Are there any suggestions?

Seeing as we're taking the bus there and back, we'd like something relatively close to the station...if it is cheaper to be a bit further away, please advise of travel distance...as we don't want to waste too much time travelling...

please help =D

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Are you take the train or the bus into the city? If you're coming by bus you'd be going to the Port Authority Bus Terminal (unless you're taking one of the busses from DC, Philly, or Boston)... not Penn Station (which is for trains)

Few other things to cover, but let's start with this first.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi Angel good day!

Best of what I've known once of the descent Hotel which is not expensive is Hotel Pennsylvania, this is near across the street. The rooms are big. Some views would be Empire State and believe me you will just spend lower than $200 per night.

I ask also one of my friend about this she stayed at the Hotel Pennsylvania last 2003. She reserved a room through her travel agent, believe this the cost was $109 per night plus taxes and other expenses. And their hotel staffs were polite and friendly. The room was not luxurious, but it was good value for the money.

Wish you all the best and hope I give some ideas.

"""Love is not about finding the right person, but creating a right relationship. It's not about how much love you have in the beginning but how much love you build till the end."""

Hi there,

Hotel Pennsylvania hotel located directly in front of the Madison Square Garden and penn Station. Everything is withing walking distance. Mc Donalds and take away chinese are just at the corner of the hotel. Macy's is just next door. Location is perfect. But I have stayed there 3 years ago, it was a run down hotel. I am not very choosy with hotels but I expected more from Hotel Pennsylvania since I had paid $160 per night for a room (one of the cheapest in New York). Our room was big but it was really worn out. Old carpet, old bed, it was like staying in an old house. Luckily for me and my husband, we were out of the time, we get in the hotel late at night to sleep and early in the morning, we were already out to get breakfast and for the Hop and Off bus tour.

My colleague stayed in the Hudson hotel in the same year and she was pleased with her hotel's room. Neat and tidy and no furniture from 30 years ago. It is located near Time Square if I am not mistaken. Believe me, walking is great in New York City. I have walked from our Hotel Pennsylvania to Time Square everyday during our stay there and it is no hardship (for someone who hates walking).

I hope these infos helps.

Good luck!

good morning and thanks for all the advice i've received so far.

i'm actually taking the megabus from toronto, which drops us off at penn station.

i was also considering the Hotel Pennsylvania too...it doesn't have to be directly nearby cause i'm sure it's quite costly in the area...but i don't know what is within walking distance from penn station. since we're only going to be there for 3 days, we'd like to make the most of our time...

Hi angel,

From my 4 days experience in New York, I can tell you almost everything is on walking distance. If you like to see everything, try the Hop and Off bus tour. If I am not mistaken, I paid $45 dollars for 2 days all loops tickets. With that ticket, you can travel all lines. I think you received free tickets for the boat rides to the Liberty too. You will see more of New York that way. We even went to Harlem with one of the bus lines. The busses starts as early as 9am (i think) and ends at 7pm. You can continuously hop off the bus and hop on again, unlimited. In my 4 days trip, I had seen a lot and it is plenty of time.

For example, we went to New York Symphonic concert, to the Lion King Musical, Xmas tree lightup at Rockefeller, visit Harlem, walking around Time Square, spend half a day at Macy's, with the boat to Statue of Liberty, Guggenheim Museum, Crysler Building etc...

In short, we saw and did everything in 4 days.

If you want to see Musicals, you can get cheap tickets up to 70% discount at the TKTS. They have 2 counters, one in Time Square and the other one in the South? (cannot remember). I paid very little money for the Lion Kings tickets. The counter is open at 10am so be sure to be there 1 hour early and join the queue. Believe me, it is worth the money. This is what I did in order no to waste my time; I asked my hubby to join the queue while I went to fetch us breakfast, We both had our breakfast while waiting in line :)

Have a great trip in New York. If you need more advise, just drop me a note.

Please let us know your experience with the megabus as i have a trip planned with them in the coming months.

In reagards to your stay, have you been to NYC before? You really don't need to confine yourself to the immediate area surrounding Penn Station. You don't need (nor want) a car in NYC as you can easilly get around via mass transportation, but if you dont' want to take mass transit upon your arrival/departure due to having luggage, you can easily get a taxi (which are fairly inexpensive relative to other cities).

Think of it this way... if a hotel right near Penn Station will cost you $200/nite, but there is antoehr hotel in the MTE zone which you could get for $150/nite, wouldn't it make sense to spend $10 on a cab ride once upon your arrival and once upon your departure ($20 total) to save $50/nite ($150 total) on your hotel room?

As well, from Penn Station a hotel in midtown won't be more than 10-15 minutes away, so if you're looking to make the most of your time, stay near to where you'll be spending most of your time... not where you arrive/depart the city.

Let us know your thoughts regarding the above and if you're open to other areas of the city (whicih i highly recommend) and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you so much! We are planning to see the Lion King! But i'm kinda confused as to where to buy them?? So you would advise us to by in person than booking in advance? What is TKTS??

We're planning to go to Woodbury outlets the first day....how is it there? I heard you can get designer jeans for really good prices! =D

i can't believe how helpful you guys are!

I actually booked the Best Western Convention Center 522 W 38th Street, NY 10018 Manhattan for 2 nights for $298 - which is usually around $560! This is approx. 0.8 km from Penn Station...how does this location sound?

i could still cancel...so please advise if this location is suitable for me...

i'll definitely let you know how megabus goes. did you hear about the new greyhound neON bus? they're also offering fares for $1 each way!

Hi Angel,

I strongly recommend buying the tickets at TKTS if you really want to go for bargains.

They have 2 shows every day...day time matinee and evening shows.

3 years ago, Lion King was on every day list, not sure about now.

Go to the South Street Seaport booth, it is not as crowded as in Time Square.

But if you really want the Lion King and afraid of not getting the chances at TKTS, then you can surely book in advance for the normal rate.

WHht you can also do is, go to the TKTS counter on your 1st or 2nd day in New York.

If you can't get the Lion King tickets there, you can always purchase it at the concierge of your hotel.

I am sure they can arrange it for you.

You can check this website for more infos of the TKTS.

(thereuare, I am not sure if this is allowed, posting links; sorry if it is not)

http://www.nyctourist.com/broadway_tkts.asp

http://www.tdf.org/TDF_ServicePage.aspx?id=56

Taxi are indeed cheaper than most places.

My hubby hates the Metro so we did take the taxi a few times in the evening.

It was very reasonable.

Not sure where you are from, but I have been to most parts of USA and believe me, in New York, shopping is a little expensive that other states.

So dont forget your toilettries etc, it can cost you more in the drugstore there.

Never been to the outlets in New York because we were travelling further to Washington D.C at that time, no need too much baggage.

I went shopping at Macy's though (just beside Penn hotel) and I went to the Visitor Counter at the 8th floor for 25% discount card on every purchase.

You just need to show your I.D I think. Not sure if its only meant for non U.S citizens.

But you can always find out. Again, not many tourist know about this.

It is my hobby to do research of a place where I will be visiting, in order to have a good vacation.

It is a kick to find soemthing on discounts. (why pay more?)

This year, my trip will be to Florida (all over) and to Savannah in Oct.

All tips are welcome.

Hope all this helps!

We're planning to go to Woodbury outlets the first day....how is it there?
Woodbury is good, but like all outlets, it "Hit or Miss" depending upon what they happen to have the day you go.
I actually booked the Best Western Convention Center
Please note as per our support page that we're affiliate of the Best Western... please consult the support page and use our links there to begin your bookings. With that said, the Best Western is a bit "out of the way" and in a non-descript part of NYC. It's basically a convention center hotel and there's really no great reason to stay there, imo, unless you're attending the convention center. Again, you really don't need to stay close to Penn Station for this stay, and the Best Western would be less covnenient than many of your other choices thru HOTWIRE.

I'll also add (althoughmay not be what you're looking for for this stay, but if price is a factor i'll throw it out there... especially since one full day will spent at Woodbury Commons) is that the Hyat in Jersey City (NJ) seems to be available for your dates for ~$100/nite... there is a PATH train right near the door of the hotel which will have you into midtown in 20 minutes (or Downtown in 10 minutes).

If you like to see everything, try the Hop and Off bus tour. If I am not mistaken, I paid $45 dollars for 2 days all loops tickets. With that ticket, you can travel all lines. I think you received free tickets for the boat rides to the Liberty too. You will see more of New York that way. We even went to Harlem with one of the bus lines. The busses starts as early as 9am (i think) and ends at 7pm. You can continuously hop off the bus and hop on again, unlimited. In my 4 days trip, I had seen a lot and it is plenty of time.
If you're interested in this, try THIS SITE and use the dicount code Bidding5 for 5% off (must purchase by 5/31/08). You can also try ThingsToDo411.com for other suggestions.

this Best Western is in the middle of nowhere, its one block from the Javits Center and kind of desolate at night, I really don't recommend staying there, unless you are attending a trade show :) There are no restaurants and the nearest subway stop is in Penn Station a few blocks away.

thank you for all of your help. i will take your advice and look for something else...is it possible for you to send me the link for a recommended hotel? i may not be searching correctly...but i can't seem to find the hotel that you're referring to.

While we're there, we plan to visit Madison Ave, Fifth Ave...American girl, NBA store...all the major fashion departments.

The Hyatt is here: jerseycity.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp (copy paste to a browser window)

There are a few options in the under $200 level on HOTWIRE when searching for 2adults/1child, but they're all 'about' $200 or so. Please take a look at the Hyatt above first and then decide if you want to pursue that OR try for a more expensive hotel in the city itself.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Hi angel,

New York city is a mekka of shopping places. No matter where you stay, you can shop till you drop! :)

To make this easier for you, I can advise you these few tips to look at;

Look for a hotel in the Time Square,Theatre District, SOHO, Downtown and Central park.

Hotels name such as; Edison Hotel, Pennsylvania Hotel, Hotel Thirty Thirty, Milford Plaza, Holiday Inn Midtown, Belvedere Hotel etc.

As I have said in my previous quote, go for the All Loops Bus Tour.

That way, you can stop anywhere you want, and hop on the bus again.

You see much of Manhattan too that way.

Go on the internet, check out where the Loop Tour bus stops, from there you can roughly decide where you want to stay.

I stayed in Pennsylvania Hotel 3 years ago and I walked to the Time Square to take the bus (5 mins walk).

I did take the taxi in the evening and believe me, it is affordable.

Shopping centres are all over Manhattan, you are sure to find places near your hotel to shop.

Good luck!

ANGEL03,

If you want o focus on location that's fine, just go to Expedia, search by address, and you will see an assortment of hotels ranked in proximity to the location you selected.

If you're looking for the best value and the best bang for your buck then i'm sure we can help you accompish that. This board's focus is finding the deals, which the majority of the time is thru the opaque providers (PRICELINE and HOTWIRE)... is there any 'special' about the Best Western you mention above? What is the price?

You're focusing on 2* and 2.5* properties (again, based upon address) when we're trying to help you get a higher rated hotel for a similar, or less price.

We still haven't heard back from you regarding:

Please take a look at the Hyatt above first and then decide if you want to pursue that OR try for a more expensive hotel in the city itself.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

• 2 weeks later...

good morning...

got back from new york yesterday! we stayed at The Hotel at Times Square...the location was GREAT! no complaints...the hotel staff wasn't too friendly, but i can't complain. the room was clean, the bed was comfortable and the distance from the hotel to 5th ave - i couldn't ask for more. a friend of mine is going to new york next week and i recommended the hotel to her - which she booked.

i was very pleased with service received from megabus. the trip there was actually 12 hrs - the bus was fully booked which made the ride quite uncomfortable - but that had nothing to do with megabus' service.

the ride home was GREAT! we took the coach canada bus home - which are affiliated with megabus - the bus had less than10 people on it! so we slept the entire way home!

i would definitely take the megabus again and would highly recommend it! just make sure you bring a pillow! it's a long ride!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]