Priceline Hotel: 2.5* Newark (Secaucus-North Bergen) Courtyard

PatrickB-379
By PatrickB-379,
in

Okay, I'm new here so forgive me if this is wrong. I'm looking for a hotel in NJ for a NYC visit. My wife and I will be staying from Wednesday 5/21 until Monday 5/26. I need easy access to the city by public transportation (PATH train, bus, etc..). I have it narrowed down to two areas. Jersey City or Secaucus-North Bergen. If I stay in Jersey City, I think the Candlewood would work really well (only listed 2* in that area). I will have a car so I need parking (preferably free). I have bid as much as $99/night for 2*+ in Jersey City. I think I have exhausted my free re-tries for the day with these.

I also think the Harmon Meadow area in Secaucus would work well (only drawback I've seen is the bus doesn't run after 1:00 am and this probably won't be an issue). There are three 2.5* hotels in that area that I would not mind: Hyatt Place, Courtyard By Marriott, La Quinta Suites. I have bid as much as $89 on 2.5*+ in the Secaucus-North Bergen area. I have seen a winning bid of $69 for one of these for the first date of my stay.

Am I way off here? Are there other areas I should consider? I'm not real picky about my stay, but I do need parking and a quick easy trip in and out of the city. I would also like free breakfast and wi-fi but can live without both.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Oh and in case this helps anyone, we are staying at the Tropicana in Atlantic City for the last two days of our week-long visit and got a great rate through Travelzoo $59/night and includes show tickets and breakfast.

I would like to pay no more than $100/night but for the right hotel could go as much as $130.

I wouldn't mind a split bid either as long as I had somewhere to leave my car I could load it in the morning and check out, then check in when I got back that night.

I did just make a reservation at the Red Roof Inn in Secaucus for an average nightly price of $90.55 + 15% tax (All Inclusive King). I can cancel this up until 6:00 pm of my check in day with no charge. It seems the bus service isn't as good there and we may end up having to walk a bit to get to a different bus stop. Do you know if there is an spot (like Wal-Mart) that we could drive to and park for free then get on the 320 bus?

So If I can swing it, I'd still like to get a cheap rate on a little nicer hotel, but If I can't at least I'm not sleeping in my car.

And any other advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Since you have a car, i would think all the following zones would be sufficient for you:

Meadowlands - Rutherford

Secaucus - North Bergen

Jersey City

You could drive to the Park N Ride and take the bus quickly and easily into the city (unless you intend on drinking in the city, as then you're better off restricting yourself to areas where you can take mass transit right to the hotel without needing to drive).

Thoughts?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Tried my same bid again $99 for Jersey City 2* and it was not accepted. $89 for Secaucus 2.5* and it was ACCEPTED! Coutryard Meadowlands (Rack Rate is $229!) I used the PRICELINE Link at the top of the page :)

Should I post this in a new topic also?

And can you recommend a driving route from LGA?

So, is it best to just get on the bus there at the hotel? Or we could drive somewhere too (my wife is pregnant so she won't be drinking)...

Thanks so much for everyones help!!

Congratulations on your win!

Looks like a great deal with some very NICE savings.

No need to post as a new topic... we've edited the title of this thread to reflect your win so that others can see the 'storyline' that produced the outcome.

What is the address of the Courtyard? What time of day are you landing at LGA?

Thank you for sharing your win with the board and for using our PRICELINE link to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I apologize in advance for the length of this reply. I value any feedback I can get so I'm trying to throw as much out there as possible.

We will be staying 5 nights in NJ and going into the city for most of the time (however we may venture out with the car if it makes sense). Then we will be going down to Atlantic City for two nights. We got a reservation directly through National for a Premium car for the week for $205 including all taxes/fees. This is cheaper than I could find for just the daily rate for the last few days for the trip to Atlantic City. And it will be nice to just load our bags into the trunk and go. Parking at the hotel is free and from reviews I've read it's in a secure parking garage.

I thought about looking for a bus or train to AC, but we decided we wanted to take our time and probably make some stops along the way.

Overall, I think I'm not doing too bad:

Flight - $61.87/person including all taxes/fees (direct through Midwest Airlines) (after $75 voucher)

Car - $205.32 including all taxes/fees (except gas) (direct through National)

Hotel in NJ 5 Nights - $528.04 all taxes/fees (prepaid PL)

Hotel in AC 2 Nights - $118 + taxes (includes show/breakfast) (direct through Tropicana - Travelzoo special)

We're doing a 3 day New York City pass, we will probably be doing the unlimited ride subway/bus in NYC, we booked orchestra seats for Avenue Q for $64.75 each (including all taxes/fees - Travelzoo special)

Now we just have to figure out how to pack everything into our short visit and where we will eat. I am open to any suggestions.

And any ideas of close places to visit that it does make sense to drive to? I'm sure if we do it again, we'll skip the car and stay in NYC just for a change of pace. So if there is something I should see, I'd like to do it this time around.

Also, I believe I read that I can buy 10 packs of Bus trips (for the NJ 320). Any idea where I'd get those?

If I'm way off on my thinking with any of this, let me know. I've done everything based on reviews and what I can assume would work good.

Thanks!

The most direct from LGA to Secaucus is thru the Midtown Tunnel, crosswtown (traffic will likely be unbearable) to the Lincoln Tunnel, to Rte 3.

It's up to you, but you could probably do without the car if you want to take the bus to Atlantic City (which you can probably do for ~$10/each roundtrip!) and don't wish to make any diversions on the way down to Atlantic City.

You would get the 10pk for the bus either from a ticket window at the Port Authority or one of their kiosk machines located throughout the port authority building.

it looks like the Rt. 320 "inbound" stop (to NYC) is in front of the entrance to the Wal Mart/Sam's Club located at the intersection of Harmon Meadow Blvd. and Park Place. There is another stop close to the Embassy Suites.

I found this great map of the area I'm staying in... Harmon Meadows Map

There is a bus stop right across the street from the Outback Steakhouse which is connected to our hotel. I assume I'll be able to use this unless this map is outdated or I'm missing something.

We'll stick with getting a car (especially since that's the main reason we are staying outside the city). We will make it worth it to have it. If I had to pay retail price now ~$400, I'd reconsider.

Any drawbacks (besides distance) for taking the Triborough Bridge and the George Washington Bridge (I278 - I87 - I95)? Google maps says 22.1 miles, 32 minutes, up to 45 minutes in traffic vs. 14.9 miles, 29 minutes, up to 1 hour 40 minutes in traffic for the most direct route.

Thanks again!

Here is the full map

Either route is fine, but you could just as easily end up waiting an hour to get over the GW Bridge :)

I would take both sets of directions and when you get in the car listen to the radio for traffic reports for how long the back-ups at each are:

1130am = 5 minutes after the hour (may be 10 minuts after the hour too)

1010am = on the 1's (:01, :11, :21, :31, etc, etc)

770am = on the 7's

880am = on the 8's

Basically you want to listen for the "Hudson River Crossings" and listen for the outbound delays each route (peripherally try to catch any delays for the midtown tunnel or triborough bridge, but the Hudson River crossings are typically covered at every report)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]