Hotwire Hotel: 3* NYC (MTE) Murray Hill East Suites

mmhassa2
By mmhassa2,
in

Hi we'll be going on a short trip to NY and would like to get 2 rooms during our stay. We're in a tight budget and would like to stay as low as possible in the price range and since we'll be outside 95% of the time the star of the hotel isnt a big issue. And it doesnt need to be close by downtown either since we'll be renting a car. There's 6 adults and 2 children so will it be possible to ask them for double beds in each room so we can get away with 2 rooms? We just need something very economical during our stay as we would like to spend the $$ on other things. I have never purchased through priceline or hotwire so all this is totally new to me. Thanks in advance :)

Welcome to BetterBidding!

PRICELINE only guarantees double occupancy so using it for quad occupancy in each room would be a risk. You could call the hotel after your bid is accepted and request two beds in each room, but this would just be a request and may not be able to be honored. NYC hotel rooms are notoriously small and many rooms only have one bed with no space for a rollaway, so it would be considered risky (and personally i woudln't recommend it)

HOTWIRE allows you to search for up to quad occupancy whihch would ensure sleeping accomodations for everyone that you include in your search.

I'd also be very cautious regarding low rated hotels in NYC.. there may be some which would be fine for your needs, but there may be some which are clearly not (and your traveling with children)... and with the opaque suppliers you can't choose which type you will get.

There are other options, but before we get too deep, what is your expected nightly budget per room?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Your budget is not realistic. (and wanting quad occupancy)

I'd start by reseaching rates for NYC (use our BetterChecker.com to assist in your search) and figuring out what you're best deal is without the opaque providers... then setting your budget accordingly.

My guess is that you'll need to stay outside of the city and commute in by bus, but even thten you'll likely be looking at more than $50/nite (and remember that commuting costs for eight can add up as well). If you have a car you can also consider Newark Airport, but it's not that convenient (again, especially with children) and you'll likely have to pay for parking and commuting costs from whereever you catch the train or bus.

Let us know what you find when looking at rates above and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 3 weeks later...

can you please provide some details? This can be helpful to others that may be looking for similar dates, this board is about a two way exchange of information: you ask for help and its offered, you post the results for your trip. Can you list the dates, zone, hotel rating, amenities, price per night, number of rooms? This information may be found by going back to HOTWIRE and looking at your account under "my stuff"

thanks!

Hi there sorry but I did not actually purchase the hotel, was going to do it right now but looks like I wont be getting it. The price was around $70/night I think, you can just do a search with HOTWIRE and it will come up. Hope this helps.

Now I'm back to square one...We need a hotel for 2 nights since the 3rd night we plan on staying at Atlantic city. So For June 1st and 2nd we need rooms, and since MANY are advising us not to rent a car, that means we need to stay right in downtown so we can hopefully walk around to the attractions or use bus/cab. So I ask for al of your help again :) Our budget is around $150 (give and take say $25 more) for something right in downtown and maybe close to penn station as thats where we are getting off.

Also wanted to add it will be just hubby, our 6 years old daugther and me as plans changed.

Our budget is around $150 (give and take say $25 more)
Is that total for the two nites or per nite?
for something right in downtown and maybe close to penn station
NYC "Downtown" is the financial district and the southern most points in manhattan... what you probably want, and where Penn Station is located, is midtown. Please look at a map of the zones PRICELINE and HOTWIRE offer and confirm which areas you're willing to stay.
it will be just hubby, our 6 years old daugther
Are you searching for double or triple occupancy on HOTWIRE?
The price was around $70/night...
Are you sure this was in Manhattan, as the only think i see anywhere near this price for your dates is located out by Newark Airport.

The budget is for each night, and if we need to move the 2nd night to a different room but same hotel thats still fine. Whichever way to get a better deal.

We basically would like to be close to the major attractions/subway/busses, so we don't need to get a car after all.

Well since our daugther is only 6 we can just use the room they give for 2 people, so that shouldn't be a problem. I assume the bed for 2 is a double so we're good there.

The $70 was not in downtown and was in NJ, since our previous plan was to rent a car.

I hope I can get a bidding breakdown since I have tried it a few times (through the link from this board) and just sort of confused.

What is the minimum star rating you're willing to accept? Please keep my comments above in mind:

I'd also be very cautious regarding low rated hotels in NYC.. there may be some which would be fine for your needs, but there may be some which are clearly not (and your traveling with children)... and with the opaque suppliers you can't choose which type you will get.

What amounts, and at what star levels, have you already bid? (and when did you last try)

I'll also add that i think you could get a hotel in Jersey City for ~$100/nite, with a PATH train at the door which will have you into Downtown Manhattan in 10 minutes and midtown in 20 minutes. It's not as convenient as staying directly in NYC, and you lose much of the "nyc feel", but if budget is of primary importance, it may be a suitable option (and you won't need a car if staying in this zone either)

Let us know your thoughts and the information requested above and we'll take it from there.

I'm thinking 3* should be the lowest but would like to get a 3.5* or even 4* (Wishful thinking)

I bid a few days ago and not sure about the exact locations but pretty sure Manhattan for around $125.

Now the Jersey hotel, what exactly means PATH train? Is NJ a safe place to travel until late though?

We would ideally like something in NY since this is our first time, and being without a car we'd like to be close to things and the city. Since NY is busy all the time I guess we'll feel "safer". I hope I make sense?

You don't need to worry about not having a car... NYC has one of the most thorought subway (and bus) systems that you can easily get from one place in the city to another via mass transit.

How high do you want to bid for a 4* before changing to a 3*... or is price most important and you'd prefer the least expensive 3* or better hotel in the zone(s) you select?

Which zones are you willing to accept? We usually recommend the midtown zones (MTE, MTW, UM-CPS, Times Square, and MTS). Downtown-Financial is 'do-able' but a but a little out of the way (again, but no problem with mass transit other than that it will take you 20 minutes to get to midtown via subway)... do you want to include this zone in your bidding?

Let us know the above and we'll advise accordingly.

Yes the thing we are also concerned about is using the subway too late at night since we have a little one with us. So hopefully we'll get away using bus or walk when its a bit late just to be safe. Basically we're ok with 3* or 4* as long as it meets our budget and location. So I think I'll like to try the ones you mentioned without the Downtown Financial district as it seems a bit further away.

We still need to know if you want to try for a 4* first up to your limit or if you simply prefer the least expensive 3* or better hotel for your stay.

Also, please give us a firm number to use as your maximum bid...

Our budget is around $150 (give and take say $25 more)...
...doesn't tell us if we should go up to $150, $175, or some other amount.

Let us know and we'll be able to suggest a strategy for you to follow.

I'll also continue to add that it is a risk bidding on PRICELINE for a triple occupancy. Many rooms only accomodate (as per filre code and/or are extremely small) double occupancy... search Quickbook for your dates and scroll down the list and see how many hotels have a "maximum occupancy 2".

Not sure if this interests you, but there is a 3* on HOTWIRE in the MTS zone (Fitness, Kitchenette, Laundry) for $135/nite which is a match and believed to be the Murray Hill Suites (note: PRICELINE rates this property 2* so probaby not a 'true' 3 star hotel). Assuming we're correct, you can read reviews HERE and the review from a few of our own users HERE. The advantage of this property is that it's a converted apartment building, so the rooms are previous apartments, and therefore are larger than the typical hotel room (good since there are three of you) and also have a small kitchenette (convenient for keeping food, drinks, snakcks, etc for you and your six year old). I'm not claiming this to be the nicest hotel in NYC, but it seems to be well within your budget, gives you a very good chance to not having a problem with triple occupancy, and the location is good too. Note that the $135 price is when searching for 2adults, and jumps to $175 when searching for 2adults/1child, but i'd feel 'pretty comfortable' booking this place for 2adults when the third person would be a child, but that's a decision you'll need to make for yourself.

Let us know your thoughts and/or the information request above if you'd still like to try bidding on PRICELINE.

The $135 room sounds really good and seems like has great reviews from tripadvisor...and definetly a great deal. I would love to lock this one but wondering which area does it fall under? Also since I'm not aware of NY at all, how far are we from these attractions:

Central Park

Empire State Building

Madison Square Gardens

Times Square

Rockefeller Center

The Brooklyn Bridge

Statue of Liberty

Like walking distance or cab if so approx price just so I can add up everything for hubby. Thanks so mch again and to answer your question in case this one isn't too close we'll like to start with 4* and go down to 3*. So $160 for 4* and lower for the lower star, does that sound ok?

I just did some research and seems like the hotel is close to everything, but would anyoen know if its a safe area? I have heard bad things about NY and how it could be scary...so us being from the subarbs of Toronto are kinda scared. Also Do you thinking going with pricline for this hotel would get us even a better rate? Is there any way to try with pricline with the specific area as a search? I'm really liking the reviews of this hotel. :)

The hotel is in a safe area and conveniently located for touring the city.

You'll see once you get here that many of your fears/concerns are unwarranted... NYers may rush about their day and get annoyed if you slow their day up at all, but generally are a friendly and helpful bunch... get lost on the subway or want to confirm which way you need to go, just ask anyone who looks friendly and you'll find that they most likely are (and will be willing to help)!

Once you arrive get an unlimited metrocard ($7.50) and you can ride the subways and busses from first use until 3am the following day... it's the easiest and most convenient way to travel around the city. The subways are not like they used to be and are generally safe as long as you act appropriately... don't count all the money you took from the bank for this trip while standing on the platform, don't point at anyone while whispering to your spouse, etc, etc... be respectful of others and they will in turn be repsectful of you. Don't ride the subway after 10pm or so (opt for the bus or take a taxi)... you'd likely be fine after 10pm too if you're staying on the island of Manhattan (and not heading to certain parts of Queens, Brooklyn, The Bronx, etc) but since you're new to the city place it safe rather than sorry :)

You could try bidding on PRICELINE, but there is no way to target this particular hotel, and you could receive some other 2* property... one which i'd fear would be very small and uncomfortable for three.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Thanks yes reading the reviews I feel really comfortable with the hotel/location. Thanks for the metrocard tip, will be purchasing them. Will they be available at Penn station or a website? Just a last question is there any way to result late checkin and late checkout? We wanted to leave around 3-4ish so we can head to NY around that time, and save the hassle of traveling with our luggage.

I have looked for their toll free number and had no luck. Since i'm calling from Canada I wouldn't want to get long distance charge.

You purchase the metrocards from the vending machines at Penn Station.

Any early check-in/late check-out would be requested once the hotel is purchased and would be based upon occupancy levels of the hotel. Most, but not all, hotels have storage areas where they can hold your bags for part of the day.

Please remember to use our HOTWIRE link should you go with the above.

Thanks so much for the help, you have made this *very* confusing trip a breeze, thank you again! I have used the HOTWIRE link provided by you and just booked the room. I also called the hotel though their latest check out is at 1pm, but their bell boy can hold luggage for longer periods of time. Since we want to rent a car for NJ around 7ish so we can return it around the same time on Wednesday this saves us 50% for the car rental. I assume if they have lock on the luggage and have our names printed on them like in the airports this should work without any problems. Has anyone done this before? How much should we tip the person who holds the luggage as a Thank you?

Now that the hotel is booked I guess we need a reasonable rate car rental for one day. June 3rd around 6-7pm to the next day same time. Preferably close to our hotel. Shold I start a new topic? If so under which compnay as we are open to both, as long as it's cheap and close to our hotel. Thank you again...and I will post the hotel we just booked as a new topic.

Total came to $323.91 for the 2 nights.

Midtown South Hotel

This Hotel features the following amenities:

Fitness Center

Guests have access to exercise equipment; an additional charge may apply.

Laundry Facilities

<amenity names only please... not descriptions>

Kitchenette

Accommodations include a stovetop or microwave oven, a sink and a mini-refrigerator.

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to hear you received the hotel you were expecting and that we were able to help. I think this hotel should work out well for your needs.

Hotels usually have a small room where they store your luggage (they'll give you tags for each bag). They do this everyday so there shouldn't be any problems.

Please start a NEW TOPIC for your car rental, and since i know the area well, please indicate where you'll be heading with the car, as that may affect some of your optioins.

Thanks for using our HOTWIRE link to begin your purchase.

Enjoy your stay.

Thanks again and I will start a new topic for the car rental. Since you already mentioned the Metrocard here, I just have a one more quick question:

Do you know how one can get the reduced fare? I'm a university student so will I get any sort of discount for the card? I see the day pass is $7.50 and the 7 day is $25 but $12.50 with reduced fare rate, so if I can get atleast my one at reduced fare and pay regular for DH we would save some $$ since we need it for 2 days. Also I didn't see any rates for kids, our daugther is a few days shy of 6 years old so can she get in for free?

I'm a university student so will I get any sort of discount for the card?
I don't believe so, as i think the student discount only applies to NYC public school students.
our daugther is a few days shy of 6 years old so can she get in for free?
It goes by height... under 44" inches is free. otherwise pays 'regular' fare.

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if you could provide me a little more help? Could you suggest the easiest way to get from Penn station to our Hotel? By bus or cab? If you could provide and estimate cost it would cost us by cab I think we would prefer the cab over the bus since we'll have things eith us and be tired from the ride. Thanks

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]