Priceline Hotel: 3* San Diego (Mission Valley) DoubleTree Hotel

Neelee
By Neelee,
in

I am soooo glad I found this board. The posters here seem more friendly and helpful than the other travel board. The information on strategy & PL profit had me reading for hours.

I have used Priceline on 3 different occasions and usually fairly successful. Unfortunately, this time I do not have the flexibility to be too picky.

I have a convention to attend at the Town & Country Resort on 500 Hotel Circle North in Mission Valley (San Diego). The group price they have offered is $109. I have research several hotels in the area and they are upwards of $100, even for a 2 *

I have bid 2 times unsuccessfully for Mission Valley. First at $45 and just now at $50. I understand that summertime is a busy season. Last year I won my bid at $55 for 2.5* and they upgraded me to the DoubleTree at Hazard Center - a 3*! I was hoping for the same this time around.

It's getting closer to the drop dead date. I will make alternate reservations "just in case", but if any one has any advise - I'd welcome it enthusiatically! I have already tried the free re-bids with stars - but really don't want to take the chance of not getting Mission Valley.

Thank you in advance!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I found this SAN DIEGO BID for almost identical dates last year in which $50 was rejected but $57 was accepted.

If you don't want to use re-bids i would bid $57, if you're willing to use re-bids (you have 2 of them at the 3* level... feel free to confirm the zones with us if you're unsure) i would bid $55, $57, $60.

If you are not successful with Priceline, Hotwire has a few offerings in the $75-$95 range which will at least save you a few dollars from your convention rate and hopefully upgrade your hotel at the same time.

First i'd try the suggested strategy above with Priceline and then we'll re-evaluate the other options.

Let us know how it goes or if you have any questions.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

, if you're willing to use re-bids (you have 2 of them at the 3* level... feel free to confirm the zones with us if you're unsure) i would bid $55, $57, $60.

I think I'll take you up on your offer. From what I can tell, my rebid zones would be Carlsbad and Miramar. This is because they only go up to 2.5* and I'm looking for 3* in Mission Valley.

My 72 hours are up tonight. I hope to hear from someone soon.

Thank you all for this board.

I've recommended to several friends already!!

Yup, you got the re-bids right!

Double-check them again tonite right before you bid just to make sure no 3* properties have been added to either of these zones (it would be extremely rare that this would occur, but hotels have to be added sometime, and it doesn't hurt to look)

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

:) d r a t s!!

Did not win today with above strategy. Will be waiting another 72 hours. In the meantime, I booked at some no-tell motel (jk) that's nearby for $55 night. I'm hoping I will not have to use it.

Here's what I did - that did not win:

1st try: 3* Mission Valley @ $55 >> rejected

2nd try: 2.5* (max) Carlsbad @ $57 >> rejected

3rd try: 2* (max) Miramar @ $60 >> rejected

Doubletree must be playing hardball because I checked their website and there are rooms available.

Oh well..back to the drawing board.

Thanks again for the assist. I'll try again in 72 hours. I'll start at $57. I'm willing to go up to $65 but if I can pinch those pennies - then I will.

If you want to up your bid a little,I think you can bid right away by using Mission Valley and one of your free rebids on the first try.I did this the other day and it let me bid again right away.thereuare have you tried this method of rebiding?

If bid the way it was posted:

1st try: 3* Mission Valley @ $55 >> rejected

2nd try: 2.5* (max) Carlsbad @ $57 >> rejected

3rd try: 2* (max) Miramar @ $60 >> rejected

Then Mission Vallye and Carlsbad would get thrown out as a duplicate bid since it was the same zone combination as the second bid.

Although the Mission Valley and Miramar combination was never used by itself, i think it would get thrown out as being a duplicate of the 3rd bid (since those two zones were bid in conjuntion with another zone... there's nothing 'new' in the bid).

The 'advanced' strategy that would work (after 72 hours) is:

Mission Valley

Mission Valley and Carlsbad

Mission Valley and Miramar

Mission valley and Carlsbad and Miramar

Now that i think about it i seem to recall the 'advanced' strategy needed to be done in that order... so i don't think what bbbb is suggesting would work... unless i'm miss interpretting something.

See this New York City Hotel thread where the user bid:

MTW

MTW and MTE

MTW and MTE and UM/CPS

MTW and MTE and UM/CPS and MTS

they then tried to start over just bidding UM/CPS and it was kicked out as a duplicate bid. I think that's an example of the scenario you are suggesting, but correct me if i'm wrong.

I don"t know how,but I did get it to work that way on my bidding for Phx last Friday night.I used all my free rebids and then rebid right away using my first choice area and a free rebid on the first try in my second try for the same area

It does work,I just got it to let be bid the same area and star level for the same dates again on the same day as my first bid.Heres what I did,bid using the area and star level I wanted.I then added free rebid #1,it was rejected.Then I added free rebid area #2 and it also was rejected.Now I started a new bid using same area, dates and star level with the area I wanted from the first bid a long with adding the first rebid from the first bid and I was on my way to bidding all over again for the same area I wanted in the first place.I bet if I wanted to bid a 3rd time I could ,by just starting a new bid with my first area and my second free rebid area.

Could you explain this again, where ZoneA is the zone you want and ZoneB adn ZoneC are re-bid zones. Then list the bids in order such as:

ZoneA

ZoneA and ZoneB

ZoneA and ZoneB and ZoneC

etc

etc

I think it'll be easier to follow that way (and i don't really understand what you did above).

Thanks!

I bid like this.

Zone A rejected

added Zone b rejected

added zone c rejected

started new bid because I only had two free rebids.

Zone A&b rejected

added zone c rejected

I tested this again by low balling the bids and it let me bid again with the same area with just adding one free rebid

sorry it took so long,I could not figer out how to post like you wanted it.Lucky for you the wife got home.

Lucky for you the wife got home.
:) :)

So you're saying that if you bid...

ZoneA

ZoneA and ZoneB

and all are rejected then you can immediately bid:

ZoneA and ZoneB

even though it's the exact same combination as the 2nd bid above?

Do i have it right?

If so, i never knew that before! If it works great, and thanks for passing it along!

I think I recall reading about this in the "other" bidding board. My 72 hours are up this morning in about 2 hours. I'll give it a try.

I guess I never thought about doing it this way because I didn't want to risk the getting the lower star. But if I'm reading all the posts, suggestions and PL site right, they will give you the highest star - right?

:) Strike three! :)

Tried plan B and was rejected.

Started with Mission Valley 3* - decided to go for it and started bid with $59 (as opposed to $57 as suggested) >>> rejected

Added Carlsbad (only 2.5*) - upped to $61 >>> rejected

Added Miramar (only 2* ) - upped bid to $63 >>> rejected

Then turned around on a completely different workstation (never used PL on it). Tried Plan C.

Started with Mission Valley and Carlsbad at $60 >>> immedately rejected with the Duplicate Request message. ("We were not able to process this request since our records indicate you have already made a request for this same trip. ")

Drat city! 72 hours will be up on Sunday about this time (noon PST).

Just FYI

Your're right..., plan B was $57, $62, $65.

I changed it to plan B1 :) - thinking I'd be clever to increase my chances. But it didn't. Now, in retrospect, I believe I recall reading about the "PL math" somewhere and going back to read it again.

On Sunday I will go with 57, 62, 65.

Instead of trusting my instincts, I think I'll stick with the member's experience.

:) SUCCESS!! Thank you soooo much, thereuare!! I have to tell'ya my hands were sweating!!

I used your suggested strategy and, of course, it worked!! Here's what I did (I thought I saw a thread to post winning bids - so I'll do that also).

Just to recap - I really needed to be in the Mission Valley area. Won the Doubletree Hazard Center last year and we really liked it. The least expensive rate (as of today) on their website is $135.15 for 2QUEEN BEDS.

1) Bid $57 on Mission Valley 3* >> PL countered at $17 >> I rejected :o

2) Discovered my check out date was wrong!! :) so I changed the date from 8/27 to 8/24 and upped to $62 >>> rejected

3) Selected Carlsbad (only 2.5*) left at 62 >>> rejected

4) Selected Miramar (only 2*) >>> accepted

I about fell out of my chair!!

Now...I don't suppose anyone has any suggestions for Florence, Italy in September???

Well I didn't see a separate thread to post winning bids - so following the suggestions on the "ideal PL winning bid" area:

Bid history above

Congratulations, you got your price of $65 for a 3-star hotel room.

Mission Valley Zone

Hotel Name: Doubletree Hotel San Diego Mission Valley

7450 Hazard Center Drive

San Diego, California 92108

Check-In Date: Thursday, August 19, 2004

Check-Out Date: Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Your Offer Price: $65.00

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 5

Subtotal: $325.00

Taxes and Service Fees: $46.96

Total Charges: $371.96

Congratulations on your win!

You did it correctly... just keep the post in the same thread and i'll take care of editing the subject title.

Thanks for the follow-up and letting us know your results, i know this one took a while for you.

For Florence just post a new thread whenever you're ready and we'll get you started.

Enjoy your stay.

• 2 weeks later...
So you're saying that if you bid...

ZoneA

ZoneA and ZoneB

and all are rejected then you can immediately bid:

ZoneA and ZoneB

even though it's the exact same combination as the 2nd bid above?

Just tried this strategy presented previously by bbbb because a friend wanted to go to the tournament also. I was rejected in the first round of the "normal" bid. I immediately turned around to bid Zone A & Zone B (together as one) and it was rejected as a duplicate. So I tried A & C - it too was rejected.

Maybe PHX is a special circumstance.

Oh well, it was worth the try.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]