Hotwire Hotel: 2* Oakland-East Bay (Airport OAK) Days Inn Oakland Airport-Coliseum

stray_chicken
By stray_chicken,
in

We were looking for the night of April 30 for 4 adults near the airport. We booked a 2 star and it turned out to be the Days Inn Oakland Airport/Colliseum. I think this is a new hotel for the list.

Here are the listed amenities

Airport Shuttle

Complimentary Breakfast

Fitness Center

Pool(s)

Restaurant(s)

Laundry Facilities

High-speed Internet Access

It is also shows a 3 out of 5 star rating on tripadvisor. Based on that I thought it was going to be the Fairfield Inn which would have been better for us.

I am concerned about comments that I have seen about the area being a bad neighborhood. Do I have case to argue that this should not be listed as a two star hotel? It is listed as one star on priceline and tripadvisor. It is listed as 1 1/2 on Hotels.com and Expedia.

We have a late flight into Oakland and just looking for a clean/safe place to sleep. We booked using an Entertainment Book rebate so our total will be $74 w/ tax after rebate. I think the price is good. It is also about 3 miles from the airport. If not for what I have read about the neighborhood I would be happy with the reservation and the price.

What do you think?

Thank you for sharing your results with the board and heping us add this property to the Hotwire Hotel List.

You could question the star rating if you'd like, but as ratings are subjective, and each service uses their own criteria, i think it will be difficult to argue over a half a star. One of the considerations should be where will you stay if HOTWIRE does agree and cancels this reservation... are there similarly priced options in the area? I'm not familiar too much with this area, but the zone doesn't look too big, so if you were to receive another hotel in the Airport zone would the area be just as 'bad'?

Please note that when using the Entertainment Book discount you can still support the board and give us credit by clicking our HOTWIRE link first, then visiting whichever link you're told to use from the discount book.

Let us know what you decide to do in terms of contacting hotwire and what the result it.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Thanks again for the post, enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I am concerned about comments that I have seen about the area being a bad neighborhood.

The Days Inn you won is just a block from the Fairfield Inn you wanted. I'd say they're the same neighborhood. (Days Inn is 8340 Edes Avenue and Fairfield is 8452 Edes Avenue.)

Just based on brand name I'd rather have the Fairfield too, but I expect (hope?) all the hotels in the area take security measures appropriate to their setting.

Please let us know how it went after you stay.

• 9 months later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]