Priceline Hotel: 2.5* Oakland-Eastbay (Berkeley-Emeryville) Four Points Emeryville

wsj3200
By wsj3200,
in

Don't bid 2* unless you like Extended Stay America.

All the 2.5* hotels are okay. Doubletree and Courtyard come up most often. Courtyard rooms are newer and nicer than Doubletree's but I prefer Doubletree's location next to the Berkeley marina. Parking's free at Doubletree and Courtyard charges. But Internet's free at Courtyard and Doubletree charges.

I'd start bidding around $50 for 2.5*. $45 is a lowball bid if you've got time. You can usually win something around $50-70.

If you see something interesting on HOTWIRE we'll try to identify it.

Berkeley La Quinta has $69 specials many weekends. Parking, internet, and breakfast free at LQ.

Thank you for your quick response. I'm be playing at Golden Gate Fields and need a room Apr 25-27. Looks like the only free bid opportunity for the area is to bid 3* first, then lower to 2.5 for an additional bid. Can you tell me what 3* hotels are on priceline and the price point for these. As you can see, I have some time to try a number of bids. I've never been to the area, so any recommendations of other possible areas that are close to Golden Gate Fields is appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to help.

I see a 4* bidding option in Berkeley/Emeryville right now, which is new. Probably the Claremont Resort and Spa.

PRICELINE's Berkeley zone has been a little strange lately. For the longest time the zone only went as high as 2.5*. A month or two ago Priceline added 3* in Berkeley, and I wondered aloud here what the 3* might be. A couple weeks later, before anyone reported a 3* win, the 3* disappeared and Berkeley was a 2.5* zone again.

Now 3* is back in Berkeley and there's 4* too.

Two alternative explanations:

1) PRICELINE upgraded one or two of the former 2.5* hotels to 3* AND added the Claremont as a 4* at about the same time. Still no 3* wins reported from the zone, but Doubletree and maybe one other hotel could qualify as 3* (3* rating requires a restaurant serving 3 meals a day, plus room service).

OR

2) There is no PRICELINE 3* in Berkeley even though Priceline offers 3* bidding there. I can think of another zone where Priceline has 2.5* and 4* hotels but no 3* physically exists, yet Priceline offers 3* bidding there. It's a "shadow" bidding option that you'll never win, but could result in upgrade to 4*.

Until someone reports a 3* win in Berkeley I favor the second theory, which means all the reported 2.5* are still 2.5* and there is no 3*.

If you bid for a 3* and none exists you won't win anything. But you've got enough time to try 3* bidding if you want. Up to $70 or so would be giving 3* a fair chance, I think.

Or start around $45 for 2.5* and go up $5 per day. No free rebids for 2.5*.

If you see something interesting on HOTWIRE we'll try and identify.

Bid this morning, got the 2.5* Four Points by Sheraton in Emeryville. Thanks again for the help.

Bid 3* Berkeley, Emeryville.....................................$55 rejected :)

Added free bid........................................................$58 rejected :o

Added free bid........................................................$60 rejected :)

log out, log in

Bid 2.5* Berkely, Emeryville....................................$55 accepted :)

Because there are no free bids at the 2.5* level, I may have started too high. Initially I started at $50 but got the "recent history" banner, so I up the bid in $1 increments until it disappeared.

Your Offer Price.....................................................$110.00

Taxes and Fees.......................................................$20.68

Total charges........................................................$130.68

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]