Priceline Hotel: Newbie help for Jersey City

mynameiskatherine
By mynameiskatherine,
in

Hi,

I have looked over some of the stickies and hope my question isn't too ridiculous.

I have never used Priceline before but for my upcoming trip to the US I am considering taking the plunge!

Manhattan Island prices being what they are I am seriously considering staying in NJ; specifically Jersey City (seems perfect).

I want to confirm my suspicions that by bidding on a 3* property in Newark Meadowlands (Jersey City) I am bidding on

a stay at one of two properties : Doubletree or the Hyatt (hoping for the Hyatt). I don't like surprises but I am quite happy to

get stuck with either of these if that's all there is in the 3* category :)

If I am correct what would be a resonable starting price to start proceedings? I hope to stay for atleast 5 days but possibly 7 (my plans

are flexible and not yet set in concrete).

TIA :)

Welcome to Betterbidding

I want to confirm my suspicions that by bidding on a 3* property in Newark Meadowlands (Jersey City) I am bidding on

a stay at one of two properties : Doubletree or the Hyatt (hoping for the Hyatt). I don't like surprises but I am quite happy to

get stuck with either of these if that's all there is in the 3* category :)

No, you are not bidding solely for these two properties.

As per the warning at the head of the hotels list:

This list is NOT a complete list of all hotels that Priceline offers in this area, it is ONLY a compilation of hotels that have already been reported on this forum. Hotels are added/removed by Priceline all the time, and star ratings can change at ANY time

However having said that the only two 3* properties that have been reported time and time again are the Doubletree and the Hyatt, so if you win at 3* you will most probably get either one.

For a strategy we need to know:

Dates of stay

Maximum budget.

BTW

The Hyatt is more readily won over the weekends as it is a business hotel and the suits have gone home

One hint as to availabilty for the Hyatt is to look at HOTWIRE for the 4* with amenities listed in the Hotwire Hotel List

If there is availability then the HOTWIRE price is usually higher than the winning bid at PRICELINE.

OK thanks! I had read somewhere on another forum that the 3* were either Doubletree or Hyatt and that was that.

Still, it sounds like taking the risk might be worth it.

My stay is not for many months (Sept/Oct) & trying to avoiding the events during that period (I understand there are a few).

I'm basically just seeing what's out there at the moment and Jersey City seemed like an excellent alternative to Manhattan.

My budget is ideally US$150 per night MAXIMUM and that way I can afford to stay for the full 7 days.

Curious to know your opinion on whether I'd be likely to secure a full week given your comments that it's a business hotel

and busy during the working week; unlikely? Possible? No chance?

Thanks again!

You should book a cancellable room when your dates are firm, and then check back on occasion, and you may get lucky closer to your arrival date. I was checking for a friend of mine on HOTWIRE and saw that starting this Monday, the Hyatt in JC had a room for a week at $139.

Proud to be Canadian!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]