Priceline Hotel: Bidding advice for Jersey City

Sharion
By Sharion,
in

Hi !

I need bidding advice on Jersey city on 6/16-6/18. I already have reservations on Courtyard by Marriott on 6/18 and Hyatt Regency in Jersey City on 6/19-6/21 (2 nights). Hyatt is showing a rate of 239 $ on the 16th with 6 different rate plans, but is sold out on 6/17.

Courtyard by Marriott is available on both dates, the rate is 179 $, so I will bid for 2.5 *. I have been bidding for it a couple of times, (last one was a week ago), for 55 $, but haven't got it yet. I guess I need to raise the amount, but haven't done it yet, I've been waiting if the Hyatt would miracuously have rooms available on the 17th (due to cancellations) as my travel date nears. I have a backup reservation in Ramada Inn East side in the City, but would prefer a Jersey City hotel, so it would be easier to change hotels, even though I won't be having much luggage.

Thank you.

Since the rates are the same and your last bid was accepted at $60 i would suspect a figure close to that would do it for you....any higher and you probably start to open yourself up to the 3* DoubleTree in the area.

One advantage of the Marriott at the start of your stay (vs. the Hyatt) is that the JFK shuttle (which i assume you'll be taking) will drop you off in mid-town (Penn Station probably your best option). From the mid-town PATH station (33rd St) it is a direct trip to the Marriott... while the Hyatt would require a PATH train transfer (not a big deal, but direct is always a bit better).

The Marriott and Hyatt are about a 15 minute walk from each other, or a 2 minute ride on the Light Rail ($1.50).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi again :) !

I bid for the 2.5 * today for 60 $ as planned, but I had no luck. Courtyard by Marriott is still available on the dates I need, with several rate plans, and the lowest rate is still 179 $/ a night. Should I split my bid or bid higher ? Hyatt is still sold out on 6/17. I don't want to bid too much higher, because my back up in the City is 98 $ + taxes / night, including breakfast. I just want to see this Jersey city bid through though, I'd prefer staying in the Courtyard in JC.

My posts have kept you busy lately, but there always seems to be something new to ask. BTW, this board is SO much better than the other board, where people are just horrible.

I did my bidding through the Savingsbarn.com link

Thank you for the support of using the SavingsBarn link! :)

I wouldn't recommend splitting your bid again as staying in a 3rd hotel starts to get a little inconvenient for a trip under 1 week.

I have an idea, but what hotel is the $98 back-up at? (i'm trying to consider the quality of it to what i have in mind so that i can make an apples-to-apples comparison).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The Courtyard in NYC (MTE) can sometimes be had for $65/nite.

I would try bidding 2.5* MTE and bid $65.

If that is rejected, and you're willing to consider the DoubleTree in Jersey City, i would then try...

3* Jersey City and bid $65.

Feel free to add your thoughts or ask any questions regarding the above. I wouldn't go any higher than $65 in the Jersey City area because then you start to get too close to your back-up price which is in the city (and it's up to you whether you even want to bid $65 for the JC zone... depends how much price is a factor)

I suspect that either of the above have a decent chance at success, but if not, we can start trying for some 3* properties in NYC for $75-85 (although i think you have a better chance of success with one of the above than with 3* in NYC)

Thereuare,

thank you again for your great advice. I think I'll go for the Courtyard in MTE bid, but don't want to bid for Doubletree in JC. If the Courtyard in MTE bid isn't successful, I'll try to bid for the Courtyard in JC again (if the availability and rates stay the same) after my 3-day "penalty" period in Priceline has passed. If I don't get any bids accepted, I'll stay at the Ramada. That's fine with me also. I'll let you know how that goes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi thereuare !

It's me again. My trip is getting closer, and decided to give JC bid one more go. Since I only have one bidding chance left (can't wait for another 3 days since I'm leaving in 2 days), I'd like to make it as accurate as possible. I didn't try bidding MTE since 2.5 * Courtyard by Marriott was sold out, and I haven't bid anything since 5/31. I still have my cancellable (24 hrs prior to 4 pm on check in day) back up in the City.

The rates are:

3* Hyatt Regency 239 $/night, with 6 different rate plans available on wednesday 6/16 and only one rate on thursday 6/17.

2.5 * Courtyard by Marriott 179 $/night, with 4 different rates.

3 * Doubletree is 219 $/night with 2 different rates.

As before, I don't want to end up with Doubletree.

How do you think I should bid ??

Can the Hyatt be had on a weekday when they have these kind of rates ?

Thank you in advance.

The JC Hyatt is a strange bird... we've seen acceptance at this hotel with rates this high (it happens but is rare), but have also seen rejections with rates much lower. However, if you really don't want the Doubletree i don't think it's possible to bid this zone without that possibility.

Rates seem high all over and your back-up at the Ramada is looking better and better.

I would try 3* at $60, if rejected lower to 2.5* and try $70.

If you happen to get a counter-offer that seems good i would take it as you don't have time to bid again (we usually recommend ignoring counter-offers, but in this instance when you don't have re-bids or time to bid again in 72 hours it's advised to accept reasonable offers rather than mess around for a few dollars).

Just to give you an idea of how rates have changed since you reserved the Ramada... i just just checked rates on their website for your dates and they're at $189/nite (assuming your reservation is at the Ramada on Lexington)

I bring this up as an example for others following along of why we always recommend booking a cancellable back-up!

So, no more bidding for me on this trip. I decided to try my luck (it's exciting !) in bidding, but didn't get anything. I bid up to 75 $. I'll stay at the Ramada Inn (yes, the one on Lexington) at the beginning of my trip, and will no doubt have a fabulous trip !

Thank you for all your help ! I'll definitely be back to ask your advice again.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]