Priceline Hotel: 3* Raleigh-Durham (Chapel Hill) Sheraton

talulabelle
By talulabelle,
in

I'm a newbie, and am considering taking a chance and using Priceline or Hotwire to book a hotel for 3 nights in Chapel Hill NC. It is me, my husband, and 4 kids. I have read everything here and on Priceline (I think) and I know I am not guaranteed 2 beds, or connecting rooms and that I would need to make that request from the hotel.

My question is - Has anyone here ever had any luck having these requests granted? Is it a slim shot? I think I might take the risk and just go for 3 star or better with the thinking that the rooms would at least have a king bed and if my husband and I slit between the rooms, we could still fit with 2 kids each in a king. I'm trying to decide if the savings is worth the risk, but ithout priceline, I just can't afford 2 rooms for 3 nights in any of the nicer hotels...

Any thoughts? should I risk it? My thinking was that since it is spring break the college campuses will be pretty empty and the hotels will not be at peak capacity so maybe I have a better shot.

In some zones, there definitely are 2 or 2.5 star hotels that could possibly have one queen bed in them. I think I have even had a three star with one bed smaller than a king. That was very rare, though (a place called Club Quarters in SF, doubt there is one where you are going). Almost certainly you should expect to get a king or two doubles in a 3 star. It is very likely that you will be able to get two doubles. It seems very, very likely you should be able to get connecting rooms or at least rooms next door to one another if you lay the groundwork for that prior to your trip and follow up again in the morning of your arrival by calling the hotel. You also might want to arrive at the hotel early. If they haven't cleaned all the rooms yet and they say they can't accomodate you the way you would like when you get there, you might also offer to come back a little later if, once some rooms are cleaned, they can place you the way you would like. If they still can't accomodate you as you might like at check in, you can try to have your rooms changed the next day. Two doubles in one room and one king in the other would work ok for you, too.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility, though, that you could get three 2 star rooms for less than two three star rooms. It depends on the area and what is available. My experience at some of the 2 star hotels is that somebody assigns the rooms early in the day or even morning, so you would definitely want to call then and try to get them assigned the way you want. I have never booked more than one room at a time, so I don't know what the general practice is, but you would think they would try to put such reservations together anyhow. On higher star level hotels, it seems they are more likely to assign the room when you arrive.

Welcome to BetterBidding, talulabelle.

You're not guaranteed two beds on Priceline. And if you get a room with one bed there's no guarantee it will be a king sized bed. Priceline guarantees double occupancy, which could be one queen sized bed. With six in your family one room on Priceline doesn't seem like a viable option to me.

As for connecting rooms, again there's no guarantee. Some hotels aren't built with any connecting rooms. If you win a hotel that has connecting rooms the'll probably be happy to give them to you because most hotel guests don't want them.

My suggestion is that you start a new thread in the North Carolina section of the board, including your travel dates and nightly hotel budget, and we can look at some other Chapel Hill options for your family over there.

This person knows that one room will not work for them. The question was what chance they have of getting two rooms to accomodate them. In a pinch, they say two rooms with king sized beds will work. They would put one adult and two children in each room. Depending on the age of the kids, that seems to me a workable option. Maybe they wouldn't want to check in with the whole family in tow, though.

The chances they will get either one king or two beds is very high, especially if they go 3 star or above. They might be looking at some single, smaller than king bed rooms if they go 2 or 2.5 star, but they might be able to get three of these rooms for the price of two 3 star rooms.

If they do plan to go the 3 star route, while they aren't certain what their two rooms will have, they can call the hotel and ask what types of accomodations their rooms have. Or they can look at the hotel web site and see what is offered. Chances are, the hotel will tell them that the rooms either have two beds or a king, in which case they will know that in a worst case scenario their needs will be minimally met. If, on the off chance, the hotel tells them there do exist rooms on their property with one bed smaller than a king, they can decide whether to take the chance or try to secure another room.

They asked for odds, not guarantees. The odds are very much if not overwhelmingly in their favor that they will get at least two king sized beds if they go 3 star and be adequately accomodated. They should see what they can get bidding two stars for three rooms, though. It is possible it will cost less than two 3* rooms anyhow. The odds are also very high that they will be able to get adjacent rooms and even connecting rooms if the property is equipped with them. The odds are also very high that they will be able to get rooms with two beds. They leave an adult with one or two kids in the car when they go to check in, though.

talulabelle,

I misread your original post and thought you were considering bidding for one room. Rereading your post now your meaning was very clear. My apologies. My basic point stands though, that you're never guaranteed two beds on Priceline. Unless there's just one qualifying hotel in a zone and all rooms in that hotel are doubles it's always something of a gamble. It looks like your gamble paid off this time. Have a good trip!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]