Priceline Hotel: 4* San Francisco (USW/USE)

gslizzle
By gslizzle,
in

Hey guys, I've read up on my fair share of the bidding stuff, thanks to this great site! I need rooms from 2/7/08-2/10/08 and I've tried bidding all the way up to $100/night with no luck. Everyone else seems to be bagging rooms in Feb in the same area for $75-$80, so I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong. This was my process so far:

USE - $75

USE + USW - $80

USE + USW + freeRebid1 - $90

USE + USW + freeRebid1 + freeRebid2 - $95

USE + USW + freeRebid1 + freeRebid2 + freeRebid3 - $100

Also, is this still possible on PriceLine?

USE + USW + freeRebid2 - $95

.. 'cuz I don't know how to re-bid by taking one zone out.

Thanks everyone! And yes, I'm using the SavingsBarn link!

Welcome to BetterBidding, gslizzle.

I punched your dates into BetterBidding's Calendar of Wins and I don't see ANY Union Square reports for your dates yet. So far the reported wins are just in the Airport area. That will probably change soon.

I think you're still a little early and I suggest trying from $75 to $100 again next week.

Also, is this still possible on PriceLine?

.. 'cuz I don't know how to re-bid by taking one zone out.

You can't remove a free rebid zone from a rejected bid. After $90 with freeRebid1 was rejected you needed to go back to Priceline's homepage (starting at SavingsBarn again) and initiate a completely new bid for USE + USW + freeRebid2. (I'm not sure if that's clear but ask if you still don't understand.)

I think you're still a little early and I suggest trying from $75 to $100 again next week.
Thanks for the speedy reply! Does being early limit the amount of inventory I'm bidding on, etc? Just wondering why next week may yield better results.
After $90 with freeRebid1 was rejected you needed to go back to Priceline's homepage (starting at SavingsBarn again) and initiate a completely new bid for USE + USW + freeRebid2.
So you're saying that if I do this:

USE - $75

USE + USW - $80

Then start over with:

I won't get kicked back as a duplicate request? If so, will it invalidate my old request? Also... does that also mean I can have two "streams" of bids going at the same time?

Thanks... I know I have a lotta questions, just very curious. I'll take your advice and try next week though!

I won't get kicked back as a duplicate request? If so, will it invalidate my old request? Also... does that also mean I can have two "streams" of bids going at the same time?

It seems as if you're under the assumption that your previous bid is "live" and they're still searching for a hotel for you. Once you receive the acceptance/rejection email that bid is "done"... if you're turned down you won't receive an email hours or days or weeks later that they have now found you a hotel.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

It seems as if you're under the assumption that your previous bid is "live" and they're still searching for a hotel for you. Once you receive the acceptance/rejection email that bid is "done"... if you're turned down you won't receive an email hours or days or weeks later that they have now found you a hotel.

Oh, no, my understanding is the same as yours on that topic. I was just wondering this:

If I get rejected (Bid A) and start a new bid (Bid B ) with different zones selected, will I still be able to go back to the rejection e-mail from Bid A and keep bidding up? Couldn't I have two "streams" of bids going like this, potentially with the same areas selected?

Thanks for the speedy reply! Does being early limit the amount of inventory I'm bidding on, etc? Just wondering why next week may yield better results.

Because many hotels don't give Priceline inventory a month in advance. Some hotels are known for giving inventory just a few days in advance. Or during a large convention some hotels will hold blocs of rooms for convention participants until a certain date, then release them to the public, including Priceline.

Here's a good example:

MacWorld, a large convention, starts in SF tomorrow. One poster bid for his rooms in December and got accepted at the Mark Hopkins for $140 after $130 was rejected. Another bidder waited another week and won the same hotel for $100 after $95 was rejected.

I can't promise it will work out that way every time. Sometimes the early bidders get the rooms and the ones who wait get nothing, if all the hotels sell out.

But with over three weeks to go my sense is that availability might improve with some patience. If you don't want to wait are you willing to consider 3* or Boutique in USE/USW? Or raise your limit for a 4* higher than $100?

If you decide to wait for better prices I suggest that you book a cancellable backup reservation now, so that you'll have SOMETHING if Priceline doesn't come through.

So you're saying that if I do this:

USE - $75

USE + USW - $80

Then start over with:

That's correct. The second bid won't get kicked back as duplicate because it's different than the first. And yes you can have two streams of bids going at the same time, although it can get confusing trying to keep track of what you've already bid for in which stream, and I don't see any real advantage to it.

You picked one heck of a weekend. Hotwire shows no 4* availability that I can see for your dates and 4* hotel rates are through the roof. Hilton FD at $500/nite and others $400+. Good luck.

I noticed the same thing... any idea why this is? Can't figure out what's special about that weekend!

NADA convention or not, I think you've got a pretty good chance of winning a 4* for your dates for $111 or less if you're patient. SF is used to accommodating large conventions and people win 4* hotel during conventions all the time. It's up to you though whether you want to wait it out or bid for some other weekend when rates are cheaper.

Any opinion of Boutique?

Also it's only the last night of your three night stay that overlaps with NADA. Are you willing to split your stay and possibly move after your second night in order to get a lower total price? You might be able to win your first two nights under $111 now, if not all three.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]