Hotwire Hotel: 3* NYC (Chelsea-MSG) Holiday Inn Express Madison Square Garden

hanjin1
By hanjin1,
in

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this site, but am glad I found it. I am planning a trip to NJ/NY in mid February, as I am taking my wife to a surprise concert in New Jersey. But we plan to stay there for 5 days. I was going to try a place in New York, but found that to be too expensive, so I am looking for something in New Jersey. I had been looking at the flight + hotel packages that Hotwire and Priceline had, but thought that I could do better by getting a flight on either one and bidding for a hotel on Hotwire/Priceline. I am kinda strapped for cash so I am looking for something in the range of $50-$70 a night. I don't mind if the hotel is not the best in the world, as long as it has internet access and I am able to get to New York without too much hassle. Also is renting a car for those days a good idea? Sorry if I am asking for too much.

As I was writing this I saw on Hotwire a 3* hotel in the Secaucas-Meadowlands area for $56 a night. Amenities show complimentary breakfast, pool, laundry and internet. It says I would have saved $53. Does anyone know which hotel this could be?

I'm wondering if I could bid for cheaper on priceline.

Thanks for the help

Welcome to BetterBidding!

To begin, what are the actual dates of your stay?

You probably won't need a rental car for this stay (if you purchase in the right zones), and if this is the case, could you increase your budget and spend more on a hotel in order to be a better location? Where in NJ is the concert... at the Meadowlands or in Newark? (or some other location)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The time frame will be 2/10/07 - 2/15/07. The concert is going to be in the IZOD center in East Rutherford, I think this is the Continental Arena. I might be ok with a higher price if it was easier to get to New York. Also is there a way to travel to New York from the East Rutherford area?

The Secaucus HOTWIRE hotel has not yet been identified.

The 'problem' you'll have in this zone is that some hotels have public busses litteraly at their doorstep which will take you into the city, while others are a "hike" to a bus stop (and not a walk you would likely want to do in Februarary). It's a roll of the dice if you get one which is more/less convenient for your needs.

If you do go with the above please use this HOTWIRE link to begin any purchases you make and be sure to let us know what you end up with.

There are busses from NYC that go to the Izod Center, but if you're staying in NJ you wouldn't want to take a bus into the city just to head back to NJ to the arena, you'd be better off calling a taxi (although getting a taxi from the arena back to the hotel after the event could be an issue).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yea, I was actually thinking about renting a car for that day, just to drive to the arena and back.

I also did find a 2* $69 Hoboken-Jersey City hotel, with amenities of complimentary breakfast and laundry. Do you know which one that could be and if that is close enough to take the PATH train to NYC?

Thanks

The only 'known' hotel near the PATH train are the Doubletree, Hyatt, Courtayrd, and Candlewood Suites... which don't match the amenities above.

If you could stretch your budget to $115/nite, you could get a private bath room at The Pod and be right in the heart of NYC, not have to worry about commuting into the city each day (nor the added expense of doing so), and just take the bus to the arena the day of the concert (again, saving the expense of renting a car). You may see the 'shared bath' rooms there a bit cheaper, but i don't typically recommend them. The hotel has a very good repulation for offering budget accomodations which are clean and with a great location.

Any chance you could make that work?

Hi I am going to the New York/New Jersey area from 2/10/08 - 2/15/08. I had been looking in the New Jersey area, but found that to travel to New York I would have to stay around the Jersey City area, where the rates are high. I was looking to spend $75 max on a hotel and found that there was one in Brooklyn. I have done some research and think that this is the Holiday Inn. Does anyone know how good this hotel is and if it is close to any restaurants or stores? Also what is the trip like to get into downtown New York City?

Thanks

Be aware that HOTWIRE is also offering a 3* hotel in Brooklyn with 3 amenities that is the Comfort Inn Brooklyn Bridge that is in a deserted industrial area. Check out reviews on www.tripadviser before you decide to book. I booked it in October thinking it was the Holiday Inn Express on 4th avenue which has better access to subways and near restaurants. When the booking turned out to be Comfort inn- I complained to Hotwire about the 3* designation and after 3 weeks and lots of documentation- was given a refund.

So the one on hotwire that is shown with complimentary breakfast, business center and highspeed internet is the Comfort Inn?? On the hotel list it shows the Comfort in with only high speed internet and breakfast. Can anyone else confirm this? I don't want to end up getting the Comfort Inn when the Holiday Inn Express would be more convenient.

Rate $64/day Brooklyn is the area and date of 2/13 - 2/18, amenities show high speed internet, breakfast and business center. I just want to make sure that this is the Holiday Inn and not the Comfort Inn. I would like easy access to the subways, so that I can get to downtown easier.

these amenities are a match for Holiday Inn Express as reported on the Hotwire Hotel List - New York. There is always a possibility that you could be the first to report a new hotel, so there are no guarantees. I've stayed at the Comfort Inn twice and there was no business center; I would absolutely stay there again and I felt fine walking up to 5th Ave by myself.

Be aware that HOTWIRE is also offering a 3* hotel in Brooklyn with 3 amenities that is the Comfort Inn Brooklyn Bridge that is in a deserted industrial area. Check out reviews on www.tripadviser before you decide to book. I booked it in October thinking it was the Holiday Inn Express on 4th avenue which has better access to subways and near restaurants. When the booking turned out to be Comfort inn- I complained to Hotwire about the 3* designation and after 3 weeks and lots of documentation- was given a refund.

If you do a search on Hotwire for the car/hotel package deal for the same dates the 3*Holiday Inn Express in Brooklyn appears so it is a possible match. When I did my search last September, Hotwire gave the Comfort Inn Brooklyn Bridge a 3* rating and at the time listed 3 amenities (complimentary breakfast, internet access, and business center). I did post my win at that time so the list would upgrade from 2 1/2 stars but I forgot to add the 3rd amenity.

• 1 year later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]